• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reason to Transfer

What is the primary reason a player transfers during a coaching change?

• Liked the old staff he was recruited too

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Not real impressed with new staff

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Doesn’t like his playing time role going forward

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Personal issues unrelated to the Nebraska coaching staff or playtime.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Just measuring the temperature of the board regarding why recruits decide to transfer or de-commit.

Coaching changes don't happen every year, so I assume lack of playing time.

Would prefer this get answered by the players if you wanted to see meaningful results. Just gathering opinions from board members... probably not as reliable or insightful.
Understand but that’s not likely. In this particular case I’m wondering what the board thinks as it is each other that seems to create the negative/positive narratives when we see transfers.

Could honestly be a whole host of considerations. Hard to say it's just these four.

One example – I could imagine somebody like Casey Rogers had a chance to follow a coach he liked out to Oregon. A program with more recent success and minus all the upheaval. Also at that point in time Frost was still the head coach.

Would you say no to playing time with a top 20 program to stick around Lincoln under those conditions?

For even just one guy, it could be ALL of these reasons... and more.

Maybe they didn't really fit in great with teammates, but the bond with an assistant (or staffer) was enough to keep them around. Maybe most of their buddies on the team were seniors, so they have new coaches AND fewer friends. Maybe there's a political component to it. Maybe they didn't quite realize just how damn cold it can get in the winter.

There are so many potential reasons that can fall into football and non-football buckets that a poll like this is almost impossible to answer.

My vote would be "all of the above."

Would prefer this get answered by the players if you wanted to see meaningful results. Just gathering opinions from board members... probably not as reliable or insightful.

hmmph... I have plenty of insight on this. I decommit all the time. Just today I decommitted from helping my brother move a refrigerator ....and I have transfered cc balances and cell phone service. I think these recruits just want to avoid the heavy lifting and/or paying the price for sticking with the same program.

I also believe there are some kids that may be a little apprehensive about what is coming work wise.

whew. great question @Hville . and thanks for putting the poll together. crazy as it seems bro, who really knows what an 18 19 yo is thinking at the moment. emotions, girlfriends, family, coach etc. so many reasons depending on the player. i would THINK it has to do with outside family/friends influence. but in the end..who knows.

The only portal transfer I would like to understand is Ernest. He signed up for a coaching staff that was on borrowed time.

He got to play then start at the end of the season. He is a native Nebraska boy

We have hired a top 25 coach who has a record of developing his players

So why is Ernest in the portal?

Probably because he developed a close relationship with his coach (coaches) who are no longer here. That's a lot for an 18 year old to deal with.

GET TICKETS

Back