• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reality for this season

I’m in the camp that think top to bottom we are a better team. My concerns - QB1&2, RB, OL and punter. Not saying the 1st 3 will be bad but didn't see enough to think they will be better or way better. AM looked faster but can he take advantage of this receiving corps? I’m concerned Cerni isn’t going to be as advertised. He punted into the wind yesterday and think he punt went about 30 yards.

Absolutely. It’s all the intangibles. It’s not a talent issue. It’s deeper than that and has been for a decade +. People analyze to death, but the problems in this program have run beneath the players. There is a systemic issue somewhere, and I can’t pinpoint where, because it’s spanned 5 coaches. All sloppy play. All of them. And it’s texasing costly.

The last several NFL drafts suggest it’s a talent issue

The last several NFL drafts suggest it’s a talent issue
There should be enough talent at NU to not be this bad. Also, I’d argue, over the past 5-7 years, how much of the talent has been developed? Not sure it’s really been put in position to succeed at a high level. You can’t consistently recruit top 20 talent, and all of it sucks. Is only Nebraska missing on all its recruits? Name another school who recruits like NU does, mostly top 20, that plays like it’s recruiting in the 60’s? I can’t think of one other school.

There should be enough talent at NU to not be this bad. Also, I’d argue, over the past 5-7 years, how much of the talent has been developed? Not sure it’s really been put in position to succeed at a high level. You can’t consistently recruit top 20 talent, and all of it sucks. Is only Nebraska missing on all its recruits? Name another school who recruits like NU does, mostly top 20, that plays like it’s recruiting in the 60’s? I can’t think of one other school.
If there was a simple answer to this, it wouldnt be brought up.
Coaching transitions has hurt the most, consistency in play is heled with consistency in coaching.
Players leaving.
Some low expectations from coaching.
The right guys with talent.
Every year, we see underperforming teams, where self starting is rare, leadership is rare amongst the players, and coaching is more like a job than a passion.
I can name several schools out recruiting us that play hardly better, that, they beat the teams they should and rarely beat the real challenges.
Much like a Bo led team, not remembered for its wins over teams it should beat, but losses to team it could beat.

We need to start by winning the teams we should beat, then see if the teams truly heading in the right direction, by beating teams it shouldnt, or most of those 50/50 games.
I think the team has to learn how to do this, make those separation plays that wins games.
People say, if it wasnt for Williams we wouldnt have beaten psu.... but I say, this is exactly what we need, just more of it, we used to see this all the time, less so now.

If there was a simple answer to this, it wouldnt be brought up.
Coaching transitions has hurt the most, consistency in play is heled with consistency in coaching.
Players leaving.
Some low expectations from coaching.
The right guys with talent.
Every year, we see underperforming teams, where self starting is rare, leadership is rare amongst the players, and coaching is more like a job than a passion.
I can name several schools out recruiting us that play hardly better, that, they beat the teams they should and rarely beat the real challenges.
Much like a Bo led team, not remembered for its wins over teams it should beat, but losses to team it could beat.

We need to start by winning the teams we should beat, then see if the teams truly heading in the right direction, by beating teams it shouldnt, or most of those 50/50 games.
I think the team has to learn how to do this, make those separation plays that wins games.
People say, if it wasnt for Williams we wouldnt have beaten psu.... but I say, this is exactly what we need, just more of it, we used to see this all the time, less so now.
You have to win the games you should before you can worry about winning the games you shouldn’t. NU can’t seem to do that either, as of now. I don’t think there are any schools out recruiting NU, that play 40+ spots lower than its recruiting ranking.

You have to win the games you should before you can worry about winning the games you shouldn’t. NU can’t seem to do that either, as of now. I don’t think there are any schools out recruiting NU, that play 40+ spots lower than its recruiting ranking.
The closer you are to the middle, the more bunched it becomes.
Yet, every year a few teams from way below go real high.

Some lower recruiting teams are always a tough out, the academies are a great example of this, as consistency and discipline today wins games or keeps you in games you have no business being in, like army and OU, and practically army and anyone else.
Coaching is a big part,but just as big is the character of players, and how well they adapt to that coaching.

Dont have the link, but someone did follow up recruiting classes, and Nebraskas 2017 class ends up really being 70th out of 70 teams,and likely lower, as time went by, and this was all teamsas time went by for them as well.
Other classes were in the 40s for us as time went by,again,compared to allother teams as time went by for their classes as well.

Tome this is obviously attrition, and the reasons why are above, low character for some, low expectations from coaches, no consistency in coaching/coaching turnover/system change etc, and right body type,which plays more to system.

"Giveaways have long limited Martinez, whose flashes of brilliance often preceded ill-timed miscues. The mistakes include 27 career fumbles (15 lost) and 20 interceptions. The tradeoff has been a career completion rate of 64% with 31 passing scores and 22 more on the ground while rolling up 4.7 yards per carry. Nebraska is 11-16 in games Martinez starts."
I love him as a person and do think he looked quicker/faster in the spring game, but 31 TDs to 20 INTs is not good. Rushing: 22 TDs to 15 fumbles lost is even worse. In fact, its awful.

As much as I want to believe he will be better, it is blind faith at this point.

I love him as a person and do think he looked quicker/faster in the spring game, but 31 TDs to 20 INTs is not good. Rushing: 22 TDs to 15 fumbles lost is even worse. In fact, its awful.

As much as I want to believe he will be better, it is blind faith at this point.
My hope is, if he's not forced to run as much, takes care of the ball better, and has a little more space to throw into to the wrs, they all clean up some.

Better pass protection would do wonders as well — for both AM’s performance and his health.
Though it was the spring game, he had time, with few beakdowns.
Hopefully this years highlight reel wont be a third of AM taking off because of coverage or pass pro breakdowns

My hope is, if he's not forced to run as much, takes care of the ball better, and has a little more space to throw into to the wrs, they all clean up some.
I would rather see him run than throw. His feet are much more reliable than that arm. But with our depth, he will be slinging it often.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back