• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reality for this season

Only sunshine pumping is allowed on this forum.
Sunshine Pumping - Album on Imgur

C

What's encouraging to me is guys like Deontai expressing their displeasure with those who wanted to opt out of the bowl game. Talking about the culture change taking hold (yeah, I know that's a sore subject with some... but it takes a while to turn around an aircraft carrier). All the defensive guys choosing to come back for another year. Evidence of building depth. Working on fundamentals and getting plays right, rather than tempo.

This may be a stretch, but it feels a little like '97 when Wistrom & Peter wanted to come back for another year and finish it off right.
There's some sunshine for ya.

What I'm getting at is, there is currently no "Reality for this season". IT'S APRIL! We haven't even seen the spring game yet.

So what's the bad news? Juandale left. McCaffrey left.

But look at who we have coming in. A lot of untested guys, sure. But their measurables are better than what we've had.

After 3 years of not publishing S&C results -- out of embarrassment -- we now have guys who are on par with those from the glory days.

I'm starting to regret all the time I've now spent trying to prove what I think should be obvious. Everything I've seen and heard this spring is positive. I just don't see any reason in the wide world of sports to have such a negative texasing loser attitude in APRIL.

On the morning of last November 3, I sat holding my wife's lifeless body, while they told me she had a 0% chance of survival. She is home with me today, celebrating her wonderful life. So forgive me if I don't share your negativity.

Better decisions from the coach on the sidelines during games......... which may fall under your "get out of its own way" category.
Absolutely. It’s all the intangibles. It’s not a talent issue. It’s deeper than that and has been for a decade +. People analyze to death, but the problems in this program have run beneath the players. There is a systemic issue somewhere, and I can’t pinpoint where, because it’s spanned 5 coaches. All sloppy play. All of them. And it’s texasing costly.

I am excited about the returning seniors on defense and what we have brought in on offense but I have to ask everyone, what is the reality for DONU this season. Nebraska isn’t the only team to have a lot of seniors take advantage of COVID and return for another year. Minny had 20 of 22 return while bringing in 8 transfers. Wiscy has some key personnel returning to include their QB Graham Mertz. OSU has some great players returning and so on and so on. With each of these teams having so many seniors return for another season doesn’t that presumably level the field and makes the teams neatly even to last season? I may be wrong but someone please explain to me how DONU can take advantage of this season when most other teams are in the same boat? I am not trying to be a downer I just haven’t had any kool-aid yet.
A winning season and a bowl birth would be a nice step in the right direction, and is totally doable.

I am excited about the returning seniors on defense and what we have brought in on offense but I have to ask everyone, what is the reality for DONU this season. Nebraska isn’t the only team to have a lot of seniors take advantage of COVID and return for another year. Minny had 20 of 22 return while bringing in 8 transfers. Wiscy has some key personnel returning to include their QB Graham Mertz. OSU has some great players returning and so on and so on. With each of these teams having so many seniors return for another season doesn’t that presumably level the field and makes the teams neatly even to last season? I may be wrong but someone please explain to me how DONU can take advantage of this season when most other teams are in the same boat? I am not trying to be a downer I just haven’t had any kool-aid yet.

I know. I feel the same. And don't forget that this staff/team was BADLY out-coached and out-played by a short-handed Minny team last year.

There's a harsh truth to face. No way I'm going to make it on the outside.
All I do anymore is think of ways to break my parole.

Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.

A favorite film, unfortunately, very close to home for me. Not the fear but the episode in my life.

I have no problem with Norwood posting his thoughts. I also have no problem with posters questioning the thought process to a strongly worded post asking for proof. I’ll add my opinion. The same leadership qualities he is referencing.....and who is stating them...... are the same people stating them the last few years. And none have been achieved. It is yet to be proved if Northwoods statements have validity but congratulations to him for putting them out and allowing us to question it.

After watching the Spring game I think we have a better chance at a winning season, but I thought that after our previous spring games. Our back up QBs looked good, receivers better, warriors in the trenches on both sides of the ball looked bigger, better. RBs still not sure. If we can keep Martinez from turning the ball over we might get a winning season. We really need a RB that runs like Makovicka. Even after first contact he keeps moving his legs, breaks tackles and inspires the whole team.

"Giveaways have long limited Martinez, whose flashes of brilliance often preceded ill-timed miscues. The mistakes include 27 career fumbles (15 lost) and 20 interceptions. The tradeoff has been a career completion rate of 64% with 31 passing scores and 22 more on the ground while rolling up 4.7 yards per carry. Nebraska is 11-16 in games Martinez starts."

Last edited:

Hopefully we see improvement, on both sides. We have a tough schedule so I would hate to see a losing season again, though I wouldn't be surprised at this point. If we can get the ball to bounce the right way, and win some of the close losses maybe we get to 7 wins.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back