• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reality for this season

HUSKERINWYO

Recruit
10 Year Member
I am excited about the returning seniors on defense and what we have brought in on offense but I have to ask everyone, what is the reality for DONU this season. Nebraska isn’t the only team to have a lot of seniors take advantage of COVID and return for another year. Minny had 20 of 22 return while bringing in 8 transfers. Wiscy has some key personnel returning to include their QB Graham Mertz. OSU has some great players returning and so on and so on. With each of these teams having so many seniors return for another season doesn’t that presumably level the field and makes the teams neatly even to last season? I may be wrong but someone please explain to me how DONU can take advantage of this season when most other teams are in the same boat? I am not trying to be a downer I just haven’t had any kool-aid yet.

I think the answer is the "reality" will play itself out in the season. Despite all the things that go into predictions, you still have to play the dang games. Each season has a culture and dynamic, in addition to the typical things people look out like returning starters, experience at QB, depth, etc.

Take a look at where the predictions were for Northwestern before the season last year. Hardly any of the "experts" predicted that NW would be really good. And Nebraska was not predicted to be in the top 8 in the Big 10 in baseball, and well into the season we are sitting in first.

Predictions are just that. Not worth too much angst. The "reality for the season" will play out in the fall.

I am excited about the returning seniors on defense and what we have brought in on offense but I have to ask everyone, what is the reality for DONU this season. Nebraska isn’t the only team to have a lot of seniors take advantage of COVID and return for another year. Minny had 20 of 22 return while bringing in 8 transfers. Wiscy has some key personnel returning to include their QB Graham Mertz. OSU has some great players returning and so on and so on. With each of these teams having so many seniors return for another season doesn’t that presumably level the field and makes the teams neatly even to last season? I may be wrong but someone please explain to me how DONU can take advantage of this season when most other teams are in the same boat? I am not trying to be a downer I just haven’t had any kool-aid yet.
Having solid players returning is great to have.
But, for younger teams, just like has been said, the biggest improvement is between game one and game two, so too is improvements in younger to older players.

We are a very young team, with little past leadership thats been needed in the past, which some is returning.

I give the edge to the younger teams in this scenario for this year if some of your leadership is returning

I give the edge to the younger teams in this scenario for this year if some of your leadership is returning
Why would you give the edge to younger teams with a lack of leadership versus a seasoned veteran team with established leadership? Personally, I'm taking the latter all day every day, especially when coming off a 3 win season where you had divide on the team with regard to playing in a bowl game.

Why would you give the edge to younger teams with a lack of leadership versus a seasoned veteran team with established leadership? Personally, I'm taking the latter all day every day, especially when coming off a 3 win season where you had divide on the team with regard to playing in a bowl game.
Because growth is the bigger change.
How much better technique makes a player helps, but actually getting to playing weight, being stronger and faster and much more knowledgeable with leadership keeping players held responsible etc, has many more intangibles

Consistency is the key for a winning season I want to see the team that played a tough Ohio State team the first game last season. They played hard for 4 quarters and yes they made mistakes but the consistent effort was there.
I don’t want to see the team that basically went through the motions against Illinois and Minnesota.

Maybe the younger member bring a new fire for the team. Where was the leadership last year. Who brought the fire and the want this at any cost attitude?

Maybe the younger member bring a new fire for the team. Where was the leadership last year. Who brought the fire and the want this at any cost attitude?
So you'd give the edge to a young team with unproven leadership and lack of experience over a veteran team with strong leadership? Not sure about anyone else, but again, I'll take the latter. I'm not sure how anyone could give "the edge" to the former.

So you'd give the edge to a young team with unproven leadership and lack of experience over a veteran team with strong leadership? Not sure about anyone else, but again, I'll take the latter. I'm not sure how anyone could give "the edge" to the former.
Do you believe in... Miracles?

Do you believe in... Miracles?

It's been 40 years, but YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1392799.jpg

Last edited:

Of the offense can perform like frost 1st year, and the def just take one step forward on last year #s, we should all be happy with the results...... of course im counting on break even turnovers, and break even special teams, both of which are big hurdles based on past performance.

The turnovers and sp teams are a bigger prob than even last years anemic offense, and have been 4 years in a row.

If you have strong leadership returning, like we do, I will take the younger team with higher upside.

If you have strong leadership returning, like we do, I will take the younger team with higher upside.
We have strong leadership coming back? Isn't that a big unknown at the moment? We had division amongst the team at the end of the season, so not sure we have definitive proof of that claim whatsoever. Scott still has not implemented his unity council going into YEAR 4 because he said the team wasn't ready for that (translation: we don't have the right leadership at the moment).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back