• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Realistic thoughts on what price to pay for a successful program

FeartheFarm

Recruit
2 Year Member
I often think I might be missing a few things in today's world of college football, but in my opinion, I would like a team of players that want to be teammates and want to work hard for each other, their coaches and fans. I don't think talent always translates to quality and would rather develop good kids into talented players than have talented men with no character. Yes every team needs it's share of talent especially defensive back 7 and ball handlers, but at what price? I for one am most proud of our program when you talk about graduation rates, GPA and academic All-Americans. We may have to lower our standards for a few years on the type of players recruited to regain the most important part of college football (momentum). Bowl games, wins, championships matter when recruiting to develop a culture of long term dominance. Can we have it all, great character, great talent and positive results? I sure hope so or it goes against what Nebraskans represent. Do the right things on and off the field from top down. Parents will get what a solid caring program can do for their children, we just need some better results and soon. I don't want to support thugs on the field just because they run a 4.3 40. We need to be more than that and strive to be an example of something besides win at any cost. FYI I hate losing, just not as much as winning at any cost. I know it is 2020 and football dynamics change but I can still hope and dream for the best for our Loyal Husker fan base. What does Nebraska Football look like to you??

GBR

There are so many great kids out there that happen to also be fast and it sure seems like that is a priority for this staff when they recruit. I think it is perhaps fair to say that anytime you gather 85 people together who you may or may not know everything about, you are going to have some really amazing, selfless, kind people. You will have people who make very poor decisions. You will have some with values that are not positive. Many would say that was true of our best teams in the 90s and of or worst teams since then. Great people, immature people, some awful people, and everything else. A lot to be proud of as Nebraskan and many opportunities to help teach the Nebraska way in an effort to improve anyone's life and path.

The hard part is that you end up spending a huge portion of your time and energy in those that aren't doing things the right way. You feel the weight of that emotional investment and want those kids to turn it around so much more. The coaches invest in people. We invest in a team.

And it sure seems like we are not going to turn our backs on a person - as a fanbase and even more so the coaching staff - to win at all costs. Nor are we going to validate inappropriate, unacceptable behavior as a fanbase or even less in the coaching staff to win at all costs.

All of that to say, it seems like there are way more reasons to be excited about the culture being built than not right now.

There are so many great kids out there that happen to also be fast and it sure seems like that is a priority for this staff when they recruit. I think it is perhaps fair to say that anytime you gather 85 people together who you may or may not know everything about, you are going to have some really amazing, selfless, kind people. You will have people who make very poor decisions. You will have some with values that are not positive. Many would say that was true of our best teams in the 90s and of or worst teams since then. Great people, immature people, some awful people, and everything else. A lot to be proud of as Nebraskan and many opportunities to help teach the Nebraska way in an effort to improve anyone's life and path.

The hard part is that you end up spending a huge portion of your time and energy in those that aren't doing things the right way. You feel the weight of that emotional investment and want those kids to turn it around so much more. The coaches invest in people. We invest in a team.

And it sure seems like we are not going to turn our backs on a person - as a fanbase and even more so the coaching staff - to win at all costs. Nor are we going to validate inappropriate, unacceptable behavior as a fanbase or even less in the coaching staff to win at all costs.

All of that to say, it seems like there are way more reasons to be excited about the culture being built than not right now.
I hope there are lots more like you out there with such a positive outlook.

Win.

Today's Nebraska fans act like winning and academic success are some "separation of church and state" thing. Tom Osborne graduated more Academic All-Americans in his 25 year tenure than any other school has in their entire history.

He was also kinda good at football.

We can have book smart kids who go onto lead industry and business, but manage to crack some skulls while they don the Scarlet & Cream.

Last edited:
I often think I might be missing a few things in today's world of college football, but in my opinion, I would like a team of players that want to be teammates and want to work hard for each other, their coaches and fans. I don't think talent always translates to quality and would rather develop good kids into talented players than have talented men with no character. Yes every team needs it's share of talent especially defensive back 7 and ball handlers, but at what price? I for one am most proud of our program when you talk about graduation rates, GPA and academic All-Americans. We may have to lower our standards for a few years on the type of players recruited to regain the most important part of college football (momentum). Bowl games, wins, championships matter when recruiting to develop a culture of long term dominance. Can we have it all, great character, great talent and positive results? I sure hope so or it goes against what Nebraskans represent. Do the right things on and off the field from top down. Parents will get what a solid caring program can do for their children, we just need some better results and soon. I don't want to support thugs on the field just because they run a 4.3 40. We need to be more than that and strive to be an example of something besides win at any cost. FYI I hate losing, just not as much as winning at any cost. I know it is 2020 and football dynamics change but I can still hope and dream for the best for our Loyal Husker fan base. What does Nebraska Football look like to you??

GBR
Well spoken and well thought out ..... the thing is .... that’s exactly the game plan for scott frost. He’s talked about that very thing SINCE THE BEGINNING. We DO NOT need to lower our standards EVER. There are plenty of talented, dedicated, skilled players that fit the profile of a Nebraska player and want to be part of the husker family. Patience is the key to this rebuild. There is no question that there is disappointment in the hearts of husker nation. what is the cost of impatience?

Last edited:
Well spoken and well thought out ..... the thing is .... that’s exactly the game plan for scott frost. He’s talked about that very thing SINCE THE BEGINNING. We DO NOT need to lower our standards EVER. There are plenty of talented, dedicated, skilled players that fit the profile of a Nebraska player and want to be part of the husker family. Patience is the key to this rebuild. There is no question that there is disappointment in the hearts of husker nation. what is the cost of impatience?
Thanks for responding,
I think Scott is the man for this job as well, the fact that a generation of Husker fans haven't seen our Huskers relevant is bothersome to most people, I see more other team's head wear around town than that of the Big Red. This program is one big thread that sews us together as a people and I would love to see some success to re-solidify our people and program. Times have changed with the portal and all the transferring, I don't fault the players it is just the times. Instant gratification is a societal issue today and young people playing sports are no different. Patience is not easy, kids are in the program for a short time and want success wherever they go, we all see first and second year players making a difference around the league and country, it is absolutely right to show some patience but at some point players need to play and coaches need to perform at a level of consistency and excellence. Fingers crossed for a bowl game and a big win against a ranked opponent this season. GBR

GBR

So my history with the Huskers goes back to the Devaney era and it's funny how perception varies depending on who you're talking about. I left Nebraska in '72, so most of the views I heard about the Huskers were from fans other than Nebraska fans. Before Lawrence Phillips and before Christian Peter, I frequently heard that Nebraska was a 'Win at all cost' program. I never looked at it that way, well, almost never, but opposing fans sure did.

When the Big Red was wearing everyone out on Saturday after Saturday, I looked at the late Devaney and early Osborne teams as groups of guys doing it the right way on and off the field. They had great players and many of them also happened to be great students as well. Sure, you'd have a kid here and there stray, but that's true in all of society. Perfection in any age group is a pipe dream and maybe no group is harder to find it or more unreasonable to expect it in than in the 18-22 year old male.

Through that time frame I also didn't see the seemingly rampant rule breaking of an SMU, or Oklahoma or a Miami or an FSU. Outside looking in, I thought NU did it the right way. That wasn't what other folks thought. Of course much of that was sour grapes because Nebraska was kicking the crap out of them every year. Of course a CU fan was going to say Nebraska was cheating back prior to 1986. We even have a handful of folks here who lament some of the decisions of AD's and head coaches going back to Devaney, but I suspect they'd always be upset about something related to the football program. From my perspective, Nebraska has always done a pretty good job of balancing the rules, the balance between talent required to field a competitive team and the character desired in the locker room, on campus and in the community. Again, not perfect and yes, there were some misses. Show me an organization without them. Any organization.

College football is different in 2020 than it was in '65 or '75 or even '95, but we can still have high expectations of our teams on the field and the individuals off it. Winning at any cost isn't on the menu. Really for Nebraska, it never has been.

We'll win again. All it will cost us is a few more curse filled Saturdays between this August and when this thing gets turned around.

CH, i might add, winning teams are almost always thought of as "win at all cost" teams. People naturally jump to those conclusions when a team is more successful than the team they themselves are supporting, whether supported by facts or not.

Some will, sure.

I think Paterno was viewed as nothing less than a saint around the country (other than Pitt fans) and we saw how that turned out.

Folks that didn’t have to play Devaney or Osborne teams seem to have a different perspective of those men as coaches and their teams, especially Osborne.

These days most of them talk too much to not piss someone off and that includes our current coach.

So my history with the Huskers goes back to the Devaney era and it's funny how perception varies depending on who you're talking about. I left Nebraska in '72, so most of the views I heard about the Huskers were from fans other than Nebraska fans. Before Lawrence Phillips and before Christian Peter, I frequently heard that Nebraska was a 'Win at all cost' program. I never looked at it that way, well, almost never, but opposing fans sure did.

When the Big Red was wearing everyone out on Saturday after Saturday, I looked at the late Devaney and early Osborne teams as groups of guys doing it the right way on and off the field. They had great players and many of them also happened to be great students as well. Sure, you'd have a kid here and there stray, but that's true in all of society. Perfection in any age group is a pipe dream and maybe no group is harder to find it or more unreasonable to expect it in than in the 18-22 year old male.

Through that time frame I also didn't see the seemingly rampant rule breaking of an SMU, or Oklahoma or a Miami or an FSU. Outside looking in, I thought NU did it the right way. That wasn't what other folks thought. Of course much of that was sour grapes because Nebraska was kicking the crap out of them every year. Of course a CU fan was going to say Nebraska was cheating back prior to 1986. We even have a handful of folks here who lament some of the decisions of AD's and head coaches going back to Devaney, but I suspect they'd always be upset about something related to the football program. From my perspective, Nebraska has always done a pretty good job of balancing the rules, the balance between talent required to field a competitive team and the character desired in the locker room, on campus and in the community. Again, not perfect and yes, there were some misses. Show me an organization without them. Any organization.

College football is different in 2020 than it was in '65 or '75 or even '95, but we can still have high expectations of our teams on the field and the individuals off it. Winning at any cost isn't on the menu. Really for Nebraska, it never has been.

We'll win again. All it will cost us is a few more curse filled Saturdays between this August and when this thing gets turned around.
Pal I couldn’t have said it any better. Well maybe I could have

I think Paterno was viewed as nothing less than a saint around the country (other than Pitt fans) and we saw how that turned out.
I think that there's still a lot more to Paterno's story that has yet to be told. Call me crazy, but I don't believe that he fully grasped what was going on with Sandusky when it was reported because I cannot fathom that he was okay with keeping an assistant coach around who was raping kids. Don't get me wrong because I think that the whole way that everything was (not) handled was atrocious, but I think that it's plausible that he was too naive to grasp what Sandusky was being accused of doing. I don't think that I have anything invested in Joe Paterno's legacy, one way or another, so I'd just like to know the truth of what he knew, when he knew it, etc.

Win.

Today's Nebraska fans act like winning and academic success are some "separation of church and state" thing. Tom Osborne graduated more Academic All-Americans in his 25 year tenure than any other school has in their entire history.

He was also kinda good at football.

We can have book smart kids who go onto lead industry and business, but manage to crack some skulls while they don the Scarlet & Cream.
And more than any 2 schools combined at his retirement.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back