• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Read any good books lately?

I'fe noticed that Slaughterhouse Five does not generally get high marks in this thread. A couple of years ago my wife and I listened to it on a road trip and it was great. The reader was the author. I confess I have never read it.

Apropos of that, I also found that James Joyce Ulysses is better as an audio book. The images he creates seem to make much more sense on audio than they do when I read them.
Much prefer Homer's Odyssey. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I'fe noticed that Slaughterhouse Five does not generally get high marks in this thread. A couple of years ago my wife and I listened to it on a road trip and it was great. The reader was the author. I confess I have never read it.

Apropos of that, I also found that James Joyce Ulysses is better as an audio book. The images he creates seem to make much more sense on audio than they do when I read them.

Cause it sucked. So it goes.

;)

i also can't seem to find the time to read as much as i used to. i used to get through a book a week. now i'm lucky if i READ 10 books a year, but i have gone full nerd and listen to books on CD from the library on the commute to work each day. here's a couple i've listened to lately.

Detroit - A Biography by Scott Martelle
tells the story of the city of Detroit from first settlement thru the auto boom and bust and touches on the current situation there. after watching The Wire (a story more about the city of Baltimore than drugs/cops) i've been interested in the story of the bigger cities in the us that seem to be off the radar except when something negative is happening.

Hitler's Furies - German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields by Wendy Lower
i'll read anything about world war II and this one had some seriously disturbing sections. talks about women's roles in what happened in german occupied areas during WWII from typing up orders to actively participating in the killings themselves.

Dead Run: The Murder of Lawman and the Greatest Manhunt in the Modern American West - Dan Schultz
came across this by accident while browsing. i had never heard this story before reading the book. here's a copy and paste of the synopsis

"On a sunny May morning in 1998, three friends in a stolen truck passed through Cortez, Colorado on their way to commit sabotage of unspeakable proportions. Evidence suggests their mission was to blow up the Glen Canyon dam. Had they succeeded, the structure's collapse would have unleashed a 500-foot-high inland tsunami, surging across the American Southwest and pulverizing everything in its path
Instead, the truck was pulled over by an unsuspecting small town cop and the outlaws opened fire. After shooting him twenty times, they blasted their way past dozens of police cars and vanished into 10,000 square miles of the harshest wilderness terrain on the North American continent. The pursuit that ensued pitted the most sophisticated law enforcement technology on the planet against three self-trained survivalists. Nine years later the last of the fugitives was finally accounted for, but what really happened to them remained shrouded in mystery."
The wire was amazing. I’ll look into the Detroit book.

I have no trouble believing that it was better as an audio book because reading it sometimes feels like I'm reading English after it has been translated into Arabic and then Chinese and then Swahili and then back to English ... by someone using peyote. Maybe that's just me, though.

Townie by Andre Dubus III.

If you like autobiographies about normal messed up people from normal messed up places, read this one.

I've only read the Foreword so far, so I have no actual input. It's Mark Twain so that kind of says it all.

I'm doing something that I'm finding interesting. I m trying to list those books that I have enjoyed most over my lifetime, and include a paragraph about each of them. Not all the books I enjoyed reading, but the ones I found signficant or memorable or for some other reason were important to me. This is not a list of great books - that would be a different list.

I'm doiing it to give to my grandkids who sometimes say, what shall I read next, a list to choose from of books I really liked.

At the present time, I have about 20 plus biographies or memoirs, about 75 fiction, about 75 non-fiction, and a host of short story collections. I will then add probablyabout 50-60 poems that I particularly like (I'm partial to those since I write a book of about 75 poems each year that I print in book form and then distribute to friends and family).

Something to do in retirement.

Not a book, but a bunch of training materials that was required reading for work

I guess it doesn't fit the thread title, because it was not "good"

All it is is new "woke" terminology for the same tasks/positions, with an emphasis on more micromanagement and peer-shaming for motivation.

Last edited:

Ian K. Smith can write a tale. He has the ability to not write over his readers heads. Looking for a quick, fun read.... Check the Ancient Nine out.

Here's one you should read if you are interested in learning something about the scrap industry. Think you are not? Then maybe you really should read it.

Junkyard Planet by Adam Minter.

The authors family has been in the junk business for generations, so he knows what he is talking about. Junk is both a blessing and a curse in our planet. and there is a massive massive amount of it, some of which can be recycled and much of which is just going into landfills.

It is one of the last pure free market businesses in the world.

Just finished reading Life Undercover , a non-fiction description of training to be a CIA agent and then being selected to be an unofficial undercover agent. That means not associated with an embassy and therefore without any diplomatic protection. This real life story covers about a dozen years in the life of the agent who for a great many of the years lived in Shanghai posing as an art dealer and working with assets in Pakistan. My CIA friends tell me that this book was cleared by the agency so no harmful revelations are made, but it is very real life and engrossing.

Her life was always on edge and the moment in the book in which she turned an arms dealer into an asset working with the agency is really compelling.

The author is Amaryllis Fox.

Just finished reading Life Undercover , a non-fiction description of training to be a CIA agent and then being selected to be an unofficial undercover agent. That means not associated with an embassy and therefore without any diplomatic protection. This real life story covers about a dozen years in the life of the agent who for a great many of the years lived in Shanghai posing as an art dealer and working with assets in Pakistan. My CIA friends tell me that this book was cleared by the agency so no harmful revelations are made, but it is very real life and engrossing.

Her life was always on edge and the moment in the book in which she turned an arms dealer into an asset working with the agency is really compelling.

The author is Amaryllis Fox.
That sounds very interesting. I will have to see if my local library has it.

`I just started reading "The Cuba Affair" from Nelson DeMille and it just grabs you right off. It's a thriller and if you haven't read any of DeMille's stuff, he's truly worth checking out.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back