• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Read any good books lately?

Some more good books I have recently completed.

21 Lessons for the 21st Century - by Harari, the same guy who wrote Sapiens. He may be the most provocative writer I have come across in some time. He causes me to rethink a lot of certainties with assertions that seem to be to be true but contradict many assuptions or go beyond many foundation principles. Fascinating book.

Winners Take All - by Giridharadas. Raises the question whether the philanthrophic groups that are formed by the massively rich and which take on certain problems in the world (malaria, e.g.) are really using those efforts to ward off a deeper review of what they do to make their riches. Citing many individual cases and only briefly highlighting the Sackler's opiod responsiblity and noting theier massive contriubutions to "good causes," he forces the reader to think about the Aspen Institute, Davos meetings, the Clinton foundation, and other similar meetings and organziations to raise the question - should a very small group of private individuals, all of whom made their fortunes by practicing some practices that are gnerally though problematic, use those gains to do what governments should do. In additon, he wonders whether they would do more good by chainging their basic business practices.

The Righteous Mind Jonathan Haidt. Provides the results of years of research into "evolutionary morality" and why we make the decisons we do. Categorizes all moraltiy into 5-7 categories and then as part of the book, researches how liberals and conservaties considers those categories in making decisions. His results may surprise you. Most of all though, he emphasizes that decisions we make of politics and religions are not systematically reasoned. We make our decision immediatiely (without reasoning about it internally) and then rationalize it in defending it against contrary views. That's why it is so hard to have a meaningful discussion with someone who disagrees with you on these sensitive issues - neither of you are really trying to put yourself in the position of the other person and trying to understand his or her position.

iNinth Street Women
Mary Gabriel How five women artists post WWII helped change the face of modern American art and how women artists will be considered. Fascinating, long and detailed review of each of de Kooning, Frankenthaler, Mitchell, Kransner and Hartington, how they managed to be seriously coniisdered as artists, and what they contributed to the movement.

Up next for me the biography of Frederick Douglass by Blight (Pultizer prixe winning)

Then, Infinite Powers, a book about the power of calculus

Some more good books I have recently completed.

21 Lessons for the 21st Century - by Harari, the same guy who wrote Sapiens. He may be the most provocative writer I have come across in some time. He causes me to rethink a lot of certainties with assertions that seem to be to be true but contradict many assuptions or go beyond many foundation principles. Fascinating book.

Winners Take All - by Giridharadas. Raises the question whether the philanthrophic groups that are formed by the massively rich and which take on certain problems in the world (malaria, e.g.) are really using those efforts to ward off a deeper review of what they do to make their riches. Citing many individual cases and only briefly highlighting the Sackler's opiod responsiblity and noting theier massive contriubutions to "good causes," he forces the reader to think about the Aspen Institute, Davos meetings, the Clinton foundation, and other similar meetings and organziations to raise the question - should a very small group of private individuals, all of whom made their fortunes by practicing some practices that are gnerally though problematic, use those gains to do what governments should do. In additon, he wonders whether they would do more good by chainging their basic business practices.

The Righteous Mind Jonathan Haidt. Provides the results of years of research into "evolutionary morality" and why we make the decisons we do. Categorizes all moraltiy into 5-7 categories and then as part of the book, researches how liberals and conservaties considers those categories in making decisions. His results may surprise you. Most of all though, he emphasizes that decisions we make of politics and religions are not systematically reasoned. We make our decision immediatiely (without reasoning about it internally) and then rationalize it in defending it against contrary views. That's why it is so hard to have a meaningful discussion with someone who disagrees with you on these sensitive issues - neither of you are really trying to put yourself in the position of the other person and trying to understand his or her position.

iNinth Street Women
Mary Gabriel How five women artists post WWII helped change the face of modern American art and how women artists will be considered. Fascinating, long and detailed review of each of de Kooning, Frankenthaler, Mitchell, Kransner and Hartington, how they managed to be seriously coniisdered as artists, and what they contributed to the movement.

Up next for me the biography of Frederick Douglass by Blight (Pultizer prixe winning)

Then, Infinite Powers, a book about the power of calculus

Most of this thread is ‘literature’ rather than modern day novels, so I don’t have a lot to contribute there.

I’ve read all the standards from Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck and a handful of books from other ‘greats’ but they are largely dry and wordy and require a level of commitment of time I can’t really afford. For that reason alone I tend to stick to modern novelists. Michael Robotham, Denise Mina and Tana French have kept me interested for a few years now. Currently reading French’s ‘Faithful Place’ after finishing her first two books. Good reads.

Most of this thread is ‘literature’ rather than modern day novels, so I don’t have a lot to contribute there.

I’ve read all the standards from Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck and a handful of books from other ‘greats’ but they are largely dry and wordy and require a level of commitment of time I can’t really afford. For that reason alone I tend to stick to modern novelists. Michael Robotham, Denise Mina and Tana French have kept me interested for a few years now. Currently reading French’s ‘Faithful Place’ after finishing her first two books. Good reads.
I'm currently in the middle of reading "Sideways" by Rex Picket(funny name) and yes, it was made into the movie, "Sideways". This book is damn funny and a damn fine read. I am enjoying it so far. It is his first novel, he's good.

I'm currently in the middle of reading "Sideways" by Rex Picket(funny name) and yes, it was made into the movie, "Sideways". This book is damn funny and a damn fine read. I am enjoying it so far. It is his first novel, he's good.

What’s it about?

What’s it about?
WOW! just went through a bout of newness. Well, the book is about 2 dudes who are on a journey through the Santa Ynez wine country as one guy is out sow his final wild oats before he gets married.
All I know is, it's well written, I'm laughing out loud reading this

WOW! just went through a bout of newness. Well, the book is about 2 dudes who are on a journey through the Santa Ynez wine country as one guy is out sow his final wild oats before he gets married.
All I know is, it's well written, I'm laughing out loud reading this

I’ll pass.

I have a limited amount of time and seem to really only enjoy crime or police procedural types of novels.

It’s a problem of mine.

What’s it about?
I saw the movie. It was a good drama-comedy.

here's a summary from https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/

A week before his friend Jack is to be married, best man Miles and the prospective groom head off to wine country for a week of fun, relaxation and - of course - wine drinking. Miles is the oenophile and does his best to teach Jack a bit about the art of appreciating great wine. All Jack cares about is drinking and carousing, something he accomplishes when he meets the attractive Stephanie at one of the vineyards. Miles is something of a sad sack, a high school English teacher who is a failed writer at heart. He has yet to get over the fact that his wife has divorced him and that she has remarried and he now faces that nerve racking wait for word from a prospective publisher. Miles has an opportunity to start anew when he meets Stephanie's friend Maya but when he let's slip that Jack is about to be married any hope of a relationship seems to be lost.

Paul Giamotti plays a great sympathetic character. You really feel for him. There's a scene near the end of the movie where he's in a McDonald's and he's hit rock bottom, and it was a little heartbreaking particularly for a wine connoisseur. Im not one, but man that had to hurt.

Last edited:

Stephanie? HMM..... in the book it's Terra. Terra Firma for laughs.... I was with this older lass when the movie came out, she flat out loves it, granted she's from the SanFrancisco area, ramble, blah, ramble on..... but, Hell, I've lost all concentration. The book so far is hilarious.

Last edited:
Stephanie? HMM..... in the book it's Terra. Terra Firma for laughs.... I was with this older lass when the movie came out, she flat out loves it, granted she's from the SanFrancisco area, ramble, blah, ramble on..... but, Hell, I've lost all concentration. The book so far is hilarious.
Well, movies are often a little different from the book.
Books are usually better than the movie.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back