• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Read any good books lately?

H-Max is the non-fiction capital of the internet! I figured a guy named East of Eden would throw some novels in the mix.:Lol::Stickouttongue: Anyhow, I'm a shameless Cormac McCarthy fanboi and recently finished Child of God. By McCarthy standards, it's kind of meh but, IMO, a "meh" McCarthy book is still better than most books. On the plus side, it contains one of the better necrophilia subplots I've read.:eek:

Huge Cormac fan... Blood Meridian anyone?

Here are few ideas if not previously mentioned:

The Echo Maker, Richard Powers. Set in Nebraska. National Book Award. Finalist for the Pulitzer.

The Art of Memoir, Mary Karr. Brilliant beyond description.

The Last Child, John Hart. Southern gothic mystery. A great writer.

Beach Music, The Great Santini, My Losing Season, The Lords of Discipline, Prince of Tides, Pat Conroy. Anything by Conroy....

Anything by Ron Rash if you are interested in Appalachia. (I'm not but I picked up a book of his short stories and couldn't stop.) His writing style is exemplary and unique.

All Over But the Shouting'. Rick Bragg. An all-time favorite. Growing up dirt poor in northern Alabama.

Enjoy....

Anything by Conroy is good, Sundance. What is Echo Maker about?

The top of my list of books about the dirt poor is Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, a nonfiction masterpiece written in the 30s about a few families of sharecroppers in Alabama. The author, James Agee, insisted that the photographer (Walter Evans) whose shots begin the book be given equal credit with him. Agee later became a nationally respected movie critic.

Anything by Conroy is good, Sundance. What is Echo Maker about?

The top of my list of books about the dirt poor is Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, a nonfiction masterpiece written in the 30s about a few families of sharecroppers in Alabama. The author, James Agee, insisted that the photographer (Walter Evans) whose shots begin the book be given equal credit with him. Agee later became a nationally respected movie critic.

Mistaken Identity. Or not. Leads to neurological underpinnings and reunification of memory. No more or it will give too much info. The Nebraska component is fascinating. Not always an easy read...but hopefully, enjoy! if you choose to read it. .....

Favorite quotes from favorite books:

Life:
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.
~Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Social media:
The mask was a thing on it's own, behind which Jack hid, liberated from shame and self-conciousness.
~William Golding, Lord of the Flies

Politics:
It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.
~George Orwell, 1984

Harold Bloom loves Blood Meridian, though he says it took him three or four times to get all the way through it. He says that in this book McCarthy rivals Pynchon (Bloom's favorite), and Bloom cannot give higher praise than that.

As for me, Pynchon stands way up there on my favorites list. Cannot quickly think of anyone higher though there are some that rival him.

Harold Bloom loves Blood Meridian, though he says it took him three or four times to get all the way through it. He says that in this book McCarthy rivals Pynchon (Bloom's favorite), and Bloom cannot give higher praise than that.

As for me, Pynchon stands way up there on my favorites list. Cannot quickly think of anyone higher though there are some that rival him.

I've reread Blood Meridian and The Crossing a few times. Haven't read much Pynchon so far. So many authors, so little time....

Currently reading Robicheaux by James Lee Burke...another great writer.

I've read a handful of his stuff like The Road, No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses. I guess I need to grab a copy of Blood Meridian.

For whatever reason I didn't enjoy The Road as a book or movie. I did enjoy the movies of All The Pretty Horses and No Country For Old Men. As Joestrummer said, Blood Meridian is a 'brilliant piece of writing.' Hope you enjoy. Cormac is not easy as we know.

For whatever reason I didn't enjoy The Road as a book or movie. I did enjoy the movies of All The Pretty Horses and No Country For Old Men. As Joestrummer said, Blood Meridian is a 'brilliant piece of writing.' Hope you enjoy. Cormac is not easy as we know.
I liked The Road as the book, not so much the movie. I have a couple of "free book coupons" that I can use to order from amazon, so I think I will use one of them for Blood Meridian. I look it up a few minutes back and it sounds intriguing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back