• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RB by Committee or does one Emerge?

It would be "Magic" if we had an Ervin Johnson backfield
I think the "Magic" will be if no one leaves before the first game. I still believe we will need 4 to 5 backs before the season is over due to injuries that happen and then just seem to nag the player for the rest of the season. I wonder, other than Rahmir, how good are the rest at receiving. That will decide who finds the portal first.

Might have also been created because of injuries? Look at the BIG and the number of #1 RB's that are injured almost every season? I'd say you'd best have several RB's that are good if you plan on doing a lot of running in the BIG. I think Wisky lost all 3 of their top RB's and lucked into finding a defensive player (Bralelon Allen) that became a hell of a RB.
True, but most of those teams rarely put their Change of pace guys in which I think we can do a decent amount, especially with Whipple’s history with backs to keep Yant healthy

True, but most of those teams rarely put their Change of pace guys in which I think we can do a decent amount, especially with Whipple’s history with backs to keep Yant healthy
Agree. I've always felt if your RB is tearing it up in a game you let him keep doing it. When everything is in rhythm don't fix what's not broke imo. Perhaps a breather after a long run but let him do his stuff. I believe when your RB is ripping off yards the offensive line gets more agressive because they are having their way. The only RB I favor right now is the one that gets it done!

Last edited:

Serious question, what have Pitt's RBs looked like under Whipple?

I know they've talked about blending a hybrid of Whipple's pass offense and Frost's run offense, but I imagine that when the chips are down and we're looking at crunch time that we'll see more Pitt-style since Whip is the guy with the microphone.

Yeah, Frost can override, but a lot of times you've got 7 seconds to audible a formation and snap the ball. In those scenarios, it's all instinct.

He had three backs last back last year two with over 500+ yards and one with 600+ yards

As I recall they averaged about 5 yards a carry among the three

He had three backs last back last year two with over 500+ yards and one with 600+ yards

As I recall they averaged about 5 yards a carry among the three
pitt running backs.jpg

Grant seems like the home-run threat that we haven't had in some time. I think he's the one who gets the most touches. Yant's a bruiser with surprisingly good feet and decent speed and he'll get a lot of short-yardage work and to help pound the defense. Rahmir will get significant time, especially on passing downs. He's just never seemed to be the guy who breaks your back with a long TD run or who will impose his will on the pile.

I haven't seen much of Allen, but he's supposed to be a stud. Ervin, I think, will get into the rotation but I'm guessing they'll take it easy on him with that injury from last year at least at the outset?

We'll see. I don't really care . . . I just want it to work. So whatever Whip and Applewhite come up with that wins. Applpewhite got a lot out of some "mostly ok" backs at CSU, so I'm excited to see where this goes.

I think it will be by committee with Grant and Rahmir Johnson as 2 of guys getting the most reps. Nobody is going to out work Rahmir and he is a proven commodity in the passing game- catching and pass pro.

Given history, all these guys will get some reps simply because they’ll get banged up during the year. If Grant can stay healthy, then I expect he sees the majority of the reps this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back