• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RB by Committee or does one Emerge?

nems

He Who Shall Not Be Named
20 Year Member
Interesting RB group this year. Gabe Ervin will be back from injury after being the guy early. Is he the leader of the group? Rahmir Johnson was strong late in the season. Grant certainly showed some explosiveness in the Spring game. Of course everyone will be hoping Yant can show something. Intriguing group. I don't know much about Whipple's approach to RBs. It sure would be nice to have someone be the primary (get a 1,000 yard rusher) with a group of change of pace and depth. Sure seems like this group has a chance for that?

I think Grant is the primary with Yant as the change of pace. I think Gabe is another who will see time. Rahmir did not impress me last year. He was OK.

If I am right. Could Grant and Yant be the ant colony, or the ant hill or something similar?

Serious question, what have Pitt's RBs looked like under Whipple?

I know they've talked about blending a hybrid of Whipple's pass offense and Frost's run offense, but I imagine that when the chips are down and we're looking at crunch time that we'll see more Pitt-style since Whip is the guy with the microphone.

Yeah, Frost can override, but a lot of times you've got 7 seconds to audible a formation and snap the ball. In those scenarios, it's all instinct.

Last edited:

I know they've talked about blending a hybrid of Whipple's pass offense and Frost's run offense, but I imagine that when the chips are down and we're looking at crunch time that we'll see more Pitt-style since Whip is the guy with the microphone.

Yeah, Frost can override, but a lot of times you've got 7 seconds to audible a formation and snap the ball. In those scenarios, it's all instinct.
Dont remember the numbers, but crunch time/run out the clock, Whip favored the run a lot.
That only happens if youre doing what you need it to.

I went and looked at Pitt and Mass when he was at both schools. He’s never had a 1,000 yard rusher.

Guessing Grant. Rahmir will see the field in more of a back/slot type, plus he can pass block and will know his assignments. But a healthy Ervin will have something to say as well.

Depends. Stats-wise... they've basically looked like us. Shared duties because they didn't use or have a bell cow. No one player has stood out the last few years for them at RB which is, in large part, due to the fact that they pass so much. Doesn't exactly bode well for any of our RTDB fans.

Would enjoy seeing both Ervin & Johnson in the backfield together & be able to motion Johnson out to take advantage of a mismatched linebacker on him. Rahmir was BURIED on the depth chart before last year & was legit on transfer watch. Had a heck of a year in my opinion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back