• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rankings - 10/30/17

carrolltonsker

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Not too many changes from last week.

Rankings - AVCA Coaches
Last Updated - October 30, 2017
AVCA Coaches
RANK SCHOOL POINTS RECORD PREVIOUS
RANK
SCHOOL POINTS RECORD PREVIOUS
1 Penn State (56) 1591 21-1 1
2 Stanford (8) 1538 19-2 2
3 Texas 1439 17-2 3
4 Florida 1388 18-1 4
5 Minnesota 1342 21-2 5
6 Kentucky 1276 19-2 6
7 Nebraska 1267 18-4 7
8 Wisconsin 1108 15-6 9
9 Michigan State 1057 16-5 10
10 BYU 993 21-2 8
11 Washington 960 18-5 14
12 Kansas 819 19-4 11
13 San Diego 810 17-4 18
14 Creighton 748 18-5 16
15 Utah 627 17-6 12
16 Oregon 587 14-6 15
17 Southern California 514 16-7 19
18 UCLA 483 13-8 13
19 Iowa State 458 16-4 22
20 Colorado State 442 22-2 20
21 Wichita State 324 20-3 21
22 Purdue 310 17-6 17
23 Cal Poly 264 21-2 23
24 Baylor 155 18-5 24
25 Western Kentucky 103 25-2 NR
Others receiving votes and listed on two or more ballots: Colorado 92; Missouri State 40; Illinois 20; Oregon State 18; Northern Iowa 12; VCU 10.

Still bugs me, psu and minn are ranked above us. Voters not forgiving Huskers for having their labero out earlier.

At least we should be above minn, and not so far below psu, who, again, we swept at their place!

Still bugs me, psu and minn are ranked above us. Voters not forgiving Huskers for having their labero out earlier.

At least we should be above minn, and not so far below psu, who, again, we swept at their place!

The Huskers were missing their starting setter the first 2 matches of the season...not the libero. :thumbsup:

You're right. It appears that the AVCA voters didn't take into account Kelly Hunter was injured or they just didn't realize it. Hopefully the NCAA volleyball tournament committee does.

In other rankings, Nebraska is number 5 in the RPI and number 2 in something called the Pablo index. The Pablo index uses more advanced analytics than the RPI (I didn't even know about it until John Cook mentioned it in one of his press conferences). It's kind of like the KenPom rankings vs. RPI in basketball. The RPI is simply outdated.

The tournament committee is supposed to announce their top 10 seeds (thus far) this coming Wednesday evening (it seems like since CFB playoff committee is doing it, the other NCAA sports are following suit). I think it is on ESPNU but I'm not sure of the time (it might be during a break of a televised match). That will be the interesting ranking. If Nebraska is in the top 4 of that ranking, it bodes well for the NCAA tournament since they will be at home in Devaney for the first two weekends. But the NCAA selection committee hasn't always been kind to the Huskers.

That all being said, I can't imagine the B1G conference champ not being a top 4 seed. The Huskers still need to win out, but the hard part of the schedule is out of the way.

You're right. It appears that the AVCA voters didn't take into account Kelly Hunter was injured or they just didn't realize it. Hopefully the NCAA volleyball tournament committee does.

In other rankings, Nebraska is number 5 in the RPI and number 2 in something called the Pablo index. The Pablo index uses more advanced analytics than the RPI (I didn't even know about it until John Cook mentioned it in one of his press conferences). It's kind of like the KenPom rankings vs. RPI in basketball. The RPI is simply outdated.

The tournament committee is supposed to announce their top 10 seeds (thus far) this coming Wednesday evening (it seems like since CFB playoff committee is doing it, the other NCAA sports are following suit). I think it is on ESPNU but I'm not sure of the time (it might be during a break of a televised match). That will be the interesting ranking. If Nebraska is in the top 4 of that ranking, it bodes well for the NCAA tournament since they will be at home in Devaney for the first two weekends. But the NCAA selection committee hasn't always been kind to the Huskers.

That all being said, I can't imagine the B1G conference champ not being a top 4 seed. The Huskers still need to win out, but the hard part of the schedule is out of the way.

Thanks for all the info. :) The gals are improving, game by game. Defeating psu like they did, I have all the confidence in the world, our gals will be right there, at the end!!

GO BIG RED!!! :Koolaid2::Balloons::Mfclap:

Last edited:

The poll that counts is out:

1) psu
2) UNL
3) minn
(10) wisky

B10 rules folks!!

Hey, we are the best, only team to knock off psu...............at their home!!

HUSKERS RULE!!! GO BIG RED!!!

Last edited:
The poll that counts is out:

1) psu
2) UNL
3) minn
(10) wisky

B10 rules folks!!

Hey, we are the best, only team to knock off psu...............at their home!!

HUSKERS RULE!!! GO BIG RED!!!

This is good news for the Huskers. Being seeded number 2 is probably the best that could be expected. And the B1G made a pretty good showing. Here is an article from the NCAA website for the complete list.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...braska-lead-ncaa-volleyball-committees-top-10

I have a minor beef with Oregon being in the top 10. Oregon has beaten Nebraska, Wichita State and Utah (twice) for their resume. They have also lost to Colorado twice. Colorado is currently unranked (but receiving votes). Michigan State has beaten Minnesota and Wisconsin (twice) which is much more impressive. If I were seeding them, I would put Michigan State as number 9 and Wisconsin as number 10. How you rank Wisconsin above Michigan State since the Spartans have a better B1G record and have beaten Wisconsin twice is curious to me.

Even though Nebraska's strength of schedule will be probably go down slightly for the remainder of the season, if they continue winning they should remain in this slot. If Penn State loses one more time and the Huskers run the table, Nebraska could sneak into the number one seed (I'm basing this on how they compared a 2 loss Minnesota team to Nebraska).

This is good news for the Huskers. Being seeded number 2 is probably the best that could be expected. And the B1G made a pretty good showing. Here is an article from the NCAA website for the complete list.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...braska-lead-ncaa-volleyball-committees-top-10

I have a minor beef with Oregon being in the top 10. Oregon has beaten Nebraska, Wichita State and Utah (twice) for their resume. They have also lost to Colorado twice. Colorado is currently unranked (but receiving votes). Michigan State has beaten Minnesota and Wisconsin (twice) which is much more impressive. If I were seeding them, I would put Michigan State as number 9 and Wisconsin as number 10. How you rank Wisconsin above Michigan State since the Spartans have a better B1G record and have beaten Wisconsin twice is curious to me.

Even though Nebraska's strength of schedule will be probably go down slightly for the remainder of the season, if they continue winning they should remain in this slot. If Penn State loses one more time and the Huskers run the table, Nebraska could sneak into the number one seed (I'm basing this on how they compared a 2 loss Minnesota team to Nebraska).

You said it! That was my thought, also, that if psu loses, we run the table, we will take over #1, having been the one to have knocked off psu.........and, at their home. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back