• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ranking Every Power 5 Job

We're most likely going to have to find a diamond-in-the-rough type of coach. Someone that is relatively inexperienced but shows promise. Then we're going to have to be patient while he figures some things out, and understand that progress is not always linear.

Once someone is here and experiencing success and true fan support, it will be hard for him to leave. When things are going well, there is no place like Nebraska. When things aren't going well, there is also no place like Nebraska.
I would agree. Given where the program sits, where it's been the past 15 years, for me, I prolly would have taken a chance with Frost. Might not have really been much to lose, given the circumstances. Certainly much upside. That ship may have sailed, I don't know. I'm hoping Riley can get it going, looks like he's trying his ass off. We'll just have to see.

Here are the links for the ongoing rankings. As I think everyone following knows, NU came in at #30. Obviously, there is a ton of subjectivity in these rankings. I'd say there is quite a bit of recency bias in particular. There is no way to explain Michigan St. at #17 other than that they made the playoffs in 2015.

http://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-ranks-Power-5-college-coaching-jobs-Nos-35-26-51325577

http://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-ranks-Power-5-college-coaching-jobs-Nos-25-16-51342625

I would agree. Given where the program sits, where it's been the past 15 years, for me, I prolly would have taken a chance with Frost. Might not have really been much to lose, given the circumstances. Certainly much upside. That ship may have sailed, I don't know. I'm hoping Riley can get it going, looks like he's trying his ass off. We'll just have to see.
Or it might be the perfect test. Let's see how he does as a head coach and in the meanwhile he is making a lot of recruiting contacts in FL.

Oklahoma St., Louisville, S Carolina, Arkansas, Virginia Tech are NOT better jobs than Nebraska. Wisconsin, Michigan St, and TCU I guess you could make an argument there. I'd still place Nebraska in the 18 -22 range.

They wouldn't even consider it for $10 million. Texas offered Saban $100 million over 10 years and thousands of acres of land in the hill country. He didn't blink. The very best coaches want to get paid of course, but they also want to be in a location where they can win (ie, they can recruit) and where they have family and professional connections. Ideally, they get all 3 like Meyer and Harbaugh.

If you can't win at Texas, you have issues.

Oklahoma St., Louisville, S Carolina, Arkansas, Virginia Tech are NOT better jobs than Nebraska. Wisconsin, Michigan St, and TCU I guess you could make an argument there. I'd still place Nebraska in the 18 -22 range.
I didn't even read the garbage article. Is that what it said? All those teams you named are better jobs than NU? :wow:
:bo:
I wouldn't put NU any lower than 15. There's just too much to offer. Win some big games that really matter, the location factor is narrowed. NU has everything else anyone has +, and is #1 in wins since 1960, by a far margin. The problem is, it's been 15 years since anything. Zero big, meaningful wins. Change that, see what happens.

Okay, this is all a crock of crap. Nebraska, with facilities and community support, is better than half the schools listed. If recent winning is the criteria, then I guess the list is right. Recruiting this......coaching staff that.....blah, blah, blah. It comes down to winning sports fans. Pure and simple!

NU has made some suspect hires and we paid the price for it. Solich was an in-house pick and a successor, but he didn't pan out. The Callahan and Pelini decisions cost this program dearly. Callahan was horrible with the Raiders. Anyone that knows football knows that his team that went to the Super Bowl was a hand-me-down. They were lucky to even make it and then there was locker room turmoil the following year. Why would anyone hire him? Pelini was a good DC, but never had a HC job. Why on God's green earth would he get a starter job at NU? Riley is a good hire to lay a foundation. I doubt we will any championships with him, but he's the Scope to wash out the nasty taste in our mouths from almost 2 decades of eating crap.

I'm also tired of hearing NU is out in left field. That's B.S. Lincoln is a college town and the State capitol. Matter of fact, it's a lot nicer and CLEANER than most college towns. Penn State recruits well and College Station is in the boonies of P.A. Ann Arbor is sandwiched between Flint and Detroit. Now that's some fine real estate right there. Tuscaloosa has the football stadium and a small town feel. Yeah, Birmingham is down the road a bit, but it's not like it's the jewel of the South. Gainesville is crappy. Anyone been there? The sun may be out, but look at what it lights up.

This is all some media ploy to wreck the Nebraska legacy. When the media writes about the decline of Nebraska and their football program, these recruits read it. They get the Athlon, Street & Smith or whatever other college football media magazines and get their minds filled with crap. The recruits that do come like the atmosphere, the facility, the fans, the coaching staff and so on. Most 4 and 5 Star recruits expect an avenue to the NFL. NU can provide that, but it has to win games to get those recruits.

We landed one of those Blue Chip young coaches in Diaco. Connecticut didn't work out for him, but let's be real....it's a basketball school. I believe the coaching staff is shaping up. "If you build it, they will come" and I'm a firm believer in that notion. This coaching staff has the ability to make this a national recognized program again that is RELEVANT. I'm patient with what's going on. I wasn't with the last two regimes.

Last edited:

Okay, this is all a crock of crap. Nebraska, with facilities and community support, is better than half the schools listed. If recent winning is the criteria, then I guess the list is right. Recruiting this......coaching staff that.....blah, blah, blah. It comes down to winning sports fans. Pure and simple!

NU has made some suspect hires and we paid the price for it. Solich was an in-house pick and a successor, but he didn't pan out. The Callahan and Pelini decisions cost this program dearly. Callahan was horrible with the Raiders. Anyone that knows football knows that his team that went to the Super Bowl was a hand-me-down. They were lucky to even make it and then there was locker room turmoil the following year. Why would anyone hire him? Pelini was a good DC, but never had a HC job. Why on God's green earth would he get a starter job at NU? Riley is a good hire to lay a foundation. I doubt we will any championships with him, but he's the Scope to wash out the nasty taste in our mouths from almost 2 decades of eating crap.

I'm also tired of hearing NU is out in left field. That's B.S. Lincoln is a college town and the State capitol. Matter of fact, it's a lot nicer and CLEANER than most college towns. Penn State recruits well and College Station is in the boonies of P.A. Ann Arbor is sandwiched between Flint and Detroit. Now that's some fine real estate right there. Tuscaloosa has the football stadium and a small town feel. Yeah, Birmingham is down the road a bit, but it's not like it's the jewel of the South. Gainesville is crappy. Anyone been there? The sun may be out, but look at what it lights up.

This is all some media ploy to wreck the Nebraska legacy. When the media writes about the decline of Nebraska and their football program, these recruits read it. They get the Athlon, Street & Smith or whatever other college football media magazines and get their minds filled with crap. The recruits that do come like the atmosphere, the facility, the fans, the coaching staff and so on. Most 4 and 5 Star recruits expect an avenue to the NFL. NU can provide that, but it has to win games to get those recruits.

We landed one of those Blue Chip young coaches in Diaco. Connecticut didn't work out for him, but let's be real....it's a basketball school. I believe the coaching staff is shaping up. "If you build it, they will come" and I'm a firm believer in that notion. This coaching staff has the ability to make this a national recognized program again that is RELEVANT. I'm patient with what's going on. I wasn't with the last two regimes.

You honestly believe this whole thing was written to get Nebraska?

Last edited:
You honestly believe this whole thing was written to get Nebraska?
The media doesn't care who it sinks. It's not just this article. They have been doing it for years to Nebraska. It all started when Colorado whooped up on us in 2001. Then the records came falling. An unacceptable .500 season. Then some more when we got rid of Solich after a 9-3 season. Then Callahan with his throat slashing, losing seasons, blowout losses and not going to a bowl game. Then Pelini with his tantrums. Then firing Pelini after another 9-4 season. Every time something happened, it was said Nebraska is a has been; it has poor location; no recruits want to go there; lost its edge; nobody wants to coach there, whatever. They couldn't just say "it was a bad loss" or "they didn't show up today" or "the coaching staff made poor decisions" or whatever. No, there had to be a bashing of the program in general. My point being is that the media doesn't paint a true picture of the program and only points out the bad. Haven't won a championship in almost 2 decades. No significant wins in meaningful games. So on and so on. They are not lying. Those things are true, but must this always be the focal point?

You didn't hear any of that when Alabama was struggling.
You didn't hear any of that when Oklahoma was struggling.
You didn't hear any of that when Miami or USC or Michigan struggles.

Local coverage did, but national coverage was not as critical. You generally hear that those programs will bounce back. Nebraska......written off for dead; by the way of the buffalo or whatever catchy term you want to use. When the Internet and media boom started, it was Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska. The team was good and it was shoved down peoples throats. This is some sort of payback now. Call me crazy, but when Saban chews ass on the sidelines, it's Saban being Saban and he wins championships. Any other coach for that matter that has a coercive style is treated that way. When Pelini did it, they scolded him on national television for it and every time there was a negative play, they zoomed in so close on Pelini you could smell what gum he was chewing. Who's wants their kid to play for someone like that?

I'm not saying the media is solely at fault here, but they sure as hell threw salt in the wound and keep doing it. They are more powerful in creating influence on where new recruits or coaches go than you give them credit for. I'm not using trumpism to get my point across. If you feel the media gives Nebraska a fair shake, then go ahead and believe that. I personally believe the contrary.

Agreed. The article/rankings ... foolish.

It seems they put a ton of stock into poll rankings over the past decade or so. That said, not a one of those schools you mentioned has won a national title. Most have never had a Heisman winner. I'm certain none have better facilities nor fan support than Nebraska. While geography is very important, that's really about the only advantage these programs have over NU.

Okie State will always play second fiddle to Oklahoma. As will Michigan State to Michigan. TCU is a private school with an enrollment of about 10,000. South Carolina may be the biggest joke of 'em all. Arkansas is close behind.

Like HWM said, they lost all of their credibility when they put USC east, MSU and Arkansatenassissippibama.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you. I honestly think Bo intended to move on pretty quickly and got lazy with the recruiting. Then when the jobs in the SEC that he wanted didn't come through he was like oh crap.

I have a theory he had a three-year plan. That's why his first staff was stable for those three years. "Come to NU with me, and commit for three years. We'll turn this around, and then you can move on, if you want." His tirade after tOSU game belied his plans to move on, IMO. And why the recruiting dropped off.

We didn't have a vacancy when Peterson was hired at UW. Also, Peterson is a PNW guy. That's why he took the UW position.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back