• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ranking College Coaches by Tier: Hall of Fame to Murky Futures

The Big Red Lebowski

A:Always, B: Be, C: Cornhusking
15 Year Member
Last edited:
Interesting read, the guy who put it together thinks about the same way I would about it.

You are probably right but if you read the description it fits. What cracked me up was that jimmy Hairball was in the same tier.

What some Husker fans will never accept is that 93-80 at Oregon St. is successful. I think you can question whether he got too comfortable in Corvalis, but if it were easy to go bowling at Oregon St., more coaches would have done it. Riley's 6 bowl victories are more than all previous OSU coaches combined.

What some Husker fans will never accept is that 93-80 at Oregon St. is successful. I think you can question whether he got too comfortable in Corvalis, but if it were easy to go bowling at Oregon St., more coaches would have done it. Riley's 6 bowl victories are more than all previous OSU coaches combined.
I agree that could be a valid argument. I think you could say the same of a few coaches in our recent past.

I agree that could be a valid argument. I think you could say the same of a few coaches in our recent past.

Do you really think Bo got too comfortable? I think I'd say just the opposite - he always seemed on edge. Based on Tapegate V 1.0, I think he was ready to move on as early as 2011.

Do you really think Bo got too comfortable? I think I'd say just the opposite - he always seemed on edge. Based on Tapegate V 1.0, I think he was ready to move on as early as 2011.
Bo less than Frank. I definitely think that was the downfall of FS. As far as Bo. My opinion is that he started to think 9-10 was the best he could do so that was what he shot for. I think he believed that since we do not have a true recruiting base that we as fans should be happy with 9-10. I base this on some of his comments towards the end and after he was fired. For instance this Rant
“I have been at LSU, I have been at Oklahoma, I have been to these other places," said Pelini. "The scrutiny, it negativity, it ain’t like that everywhere. But it is what it is and you gotta be strong as hell and you gotta stick together to deal with it. You have to. Because it’s real, I know it’s out there. I’ve seen it.”
basically the fans are too critical so why would anyone want to stay here. I think in his mind that became an excuse to be second fiddle to the "big" teams like his alma mater.

Not much to argue with here as I suspect Harbaugh and Peterson will soon move up. That program building category as an outlier is a bit odd in that it puts a guy like Bill Snyder seemingly below Riley, which I don't think is accurate. Like or hate him, what Snyder did at KSU is unbelievable.

Also of note: This thread should end well. ;)

Not much to argue with here as I suspect Harbaugh and Peterson will soon move up. That program building category as an outlier is a bit odd in that it puts a guy like Bill Snyder seemingly below Riley, which I don't think is accurate. Like or hate him, what Snyder did at KSU is unbelievable.

I do not necessarily think it is meant to be less as much as different.

Snyder is an easy one to quibble with as he was already inducted into the CFB HOF in 2015, becoming only the 4th active coach to be given the honor.

Bo less than Frank. I definitely think that was the downfall of FS. As far as Bo. My opinion is that he started to think 9-10 was the best he could do so that was what he shot for. I think he believed that since we do not have a true recruiting base that we as fans should be happy with 9-10. I base this on some of his comments towards the end and after he was fired. For instance this Rant

basically the fans are too critical so why would anyone want to stay here. I think in his mind that became an excuse to be second fiddle to the "big" teams like his alma mater.

Gotcha. I can see that. He also comes from the Colonel Nathan Jessup school of coaching. He runs his unit how he runs his unit. I think it was combination of complacency and pure stubbornness.

I do not necessarily think it is meant to be less as much as different.

Yeah, that's how I took it, but I would have almost put him and Patterson in that Blueblood #2 group since it looks like HOF for this guy requires multiple titles. Having K-State and TCU in the mix some years, though, leads me to believe they could have a title or two at a place like Alabama.

Snyder is an easy one to quibble with as he was already inducted into the CFB HOF in 2015, becoming only the 4th active coach to be given the honor.

Yes, and I feel a bit dirty even making a case for him. Worse yet is seeing scumbag guys like Petrino rising to the top of lists like these.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back