• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ranking All 130 College Football Teams in Tiers for 2021 Season

Found this article on ESPN.com looking ahead at this upcoming season. NU is ranked pretty low on the Tiers but until NU can recruit some more Suhs, Davids, and Lamar Jacksons (Ravens QB not former NU DB) it is gonna be awhile before they are like the Jeffersons and movin' on up!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30742483/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams-tiers-2021-season

Eager to hear what ya'll think.

I think this is a fair portrayal given our history.

Our ceiling next season is probably 7 wins our floor probably 2-3 wins. We will only get close to ceiling by landing in top 30 in penalties and turnovers avoidance plus decent play calling

The problem with that article is that they rank the Huskers in Tier 6 and claim that Frost is recruiting enough to be the most talented team in the Big Ten West.

But then, you know, they ranked Iowa (T3), Wisconsin (T3), and Northwestern (T5) ahead of us.

I can't say that I disagree with those rankings, but it's a bit telling to dually claim that we're middle-pack milquetoast and ALSO claim we're the deepest team in talent by a mile.

I don't know how that can fall on anything else but coaching.

it is what is and I think it's on the money look at where DONU is as a when team. As to the talent we may have but if we cant figure out how to best use it or shift the sceme to best fit there won't be any success

Until we prove ourself deserving of a higher tier, this is pretty accurate. We are building talent and depth, but we need to stop shooting ourself in the foot.

Good article. Ohh how the mighty Huskers have fallen from a Tier one (1997 National Championship) to Tier 6 in 24 short years!
Some comments I thought were right on track:
"Nebraska coach Scott Frost will open the 2021 season firmly on the hot seat, with the gap between expectations and reality as wide at Nebraska as anywhere in the country. "

"At Nebraska, Frost's recruiting has been solid, with a fourth straight top-25 class set for 2021. For all the on-field shortcomings, there's a good case that Nebraska will enter the season as the most talented team in the Big Ten West. And while 2020 included some ugly performances, three of the Huskers' losses were by a TD or less.

Then there's the issue of luck. FSU ranks 109th in turnover margin over the past three seasons. Nebraska ranks 117th. Some of that is bad QB play. Some of it is luck. If both turn around in 2021, the win-loss record can shift quickly."

:O O: :(:HuskersN:

Good article. Ohh how the mighty Huskers have fallen from a Tier one (1997 National Championship) to Tier 6 in 24 short years!
Some comments I thought were right on track:
"Nebraska coach Scott Frost will open the 2021 season firmly on the hot seat, with the gap between expectations and reality as wide at Nebraska as anywhere in the country. "

"At Nebraska, Frost's recruiting has been solid, with a fourth straight top-25 class set for 2021. For all the on-field shortcomings, there's a good case that Nebraska will enter the season as the most talented team in the Big Ten West. And while 2020 included some ugly performances, three of the Huskers' losses were by a TD or less.

Then there's the issue of luck. FSU ranks 109th in turnover margin over the past three seasons. Nebraska ranks 117th. Some of that is bad QB play. Some of it is luck. If both turn around in 2021, the win-loss record can shift quickly."

:O O: :(:HuskersN:

I think Wisconsin has vaulted Nebraska in terms of talent in the Big Ten West. At least if they are basing talent on recruiting stars/grades.

As of November 9, Wisconsin was just behind Nebraska in the talent composite. But since then, Wisconsin has had three players transfer out -- two 3-stars and one walk-on. Nebraska has had 10 players transfer out -- four 4-stars, five 3-stars, and one 2-star. This, of course, isn't taking into account players graduating and moving on and/or declaring themselves for the draft. Regardless, Wisconsin has pretty much caught up with Nebraska now. They've recruiting really well the past couple of years -- and their 2021 class is ranked ahead of Nebraska.

Again, these are rosters as of November 9, 2020 -- they haven't updated since -- likely waiting on NSD next week to do so.

I think Wisconsin has vaulted Nebraska in terms of talent in the Big Ten West. At least if they are basing talent on recruiting stars/grades.

As of November 9, Wisconsin was just behind Nebraska in the talent composite. But since then, Wisconsin has had three players transfer out -- two 3-stars and one walk-on. Nebraska has had 10 players transfer out -- four 4-stars, five 3-stars, and one 2-star. This, of course, isn't taking into account players graduating and moving on and/or declaring themselves for the draft. Regardless, Wisconsin has pretty much caught up with Nebraska now. They've recruiting really well the past couple of years -- and their 2021 class is ranked ahead of Nebraska.

Again, these are rosters as of November 9, 2020 -- they haven't updated since -- likely waiting on NSD next week to do so.

Awesome, so when Nebraska beats Wisconsin next year, the staff and players will get a lot of kudos for the win. I'm looking forward to it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back