• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Randy Gregory failed another one

Status
Not open for further replies.
it isn't the alcohol or weed that is the problem it is the addiction and abuse

No doubt. Alcohol is far more physically addictive than weed. But it appears Randy has a mental addiction to pot, likely larger psychological issues to go with that. Unfortunately, this is a problem that should have been addressed much more so in college than apparently it was. As a professional, he likely has much more time alone and less support.

Personally, I don't find weed to be a problem in this country .... but as I've said before, if the company I work for doesn't allow it, it's an easy decision for me (which is very much the case -- no way would I risk my profession over it). A career always takes priority. And when marijuana does one day become legal throughout the U.S., companies will maintain the right to ban it.

Last edited:

The biggest problem we currently have with marijuana testing is all it shows is that you've have "consumed some cannabis" in the last 30 days.... it's too freak'n ambiguous to signify "under the influence". Science has to develop a methodology of assessing level of "intoxication" or degree of "impairment"

The biggest problem we currently have with marijuana testing is all it shows is that you've have "consumed some cannabis" in the last 30 days.... it's too freak'n ambiguous to signify "under the influence". Science has to develop a methodology of assessing level of "intoxication" or degree of "impairment"

addiction and impairment are truly the measurements that count along with your personal reaction to others. bad, violent or lackluster behavior from either is a problem as well.

My statement is more a reference to drug testing in the working environment. I certainly understand the difference between addiction and impairment but neither could be the case with a positive test for cannabis on a Tuesday at work when the individual consumed on his day off Saturday. He was neither addicted nor impaired and yet a positive test is grounds for termination. We need to be able to test for impairment as it relates to the time it's tested.

The only reason I brought this up is the discussion was regarding when MJ is legal the testing wouldn't be necessary. Well alcohol is legal but you can't be consuming on the job and the same is certainly true of MJ... there needs to be better testing.

Last edited:

Randy Gregory in the past said that his marijuana use stems from depression and anxiety. I wonder how much the Cowboys tried to help with this underlying issue?

Call him an idiot, but we don't actually know what's going on inside his head. Depression can sink a person, it's not picky whether it's Joe the Plumber or the multimillionaire seemingly living large. If you're battling those demons in your head, and MJ use is the thing that can calm the waters, could you resist? Could you be the person drowning that is thrown a life preserver and say "Nope, I'm good, I'll just wait for the rescue boat?"

The fact that this happened with the stakes so high should be more of an indication of how Gregory is swimming right now, and not on his choice of rescue.

My statement is more a reference to drug testing in the working environment. I certainly understand the difference between addiction and impairment but neither could be the case with a positive test for cannabis on a Tuesday at work when the individual consumed on his day off Saturday. He was neither addicted nor impaired and yet a positive test is grounds for termination. We need to be able to test for impairment as it relates to the time it's tested.

The only reason I brought this up is the discussion was regarding when MJ is legal the testing wouldn't be necessary. Well alcohol is legal but you can't be consuming on the job and the same is certainly true of MJ... there needs to be better testing.

While I understand your point of under the influence or not. And the odds are, Randy hasn't been under the influence while on the field.

But in my opinion, that's beside the point. It's a simple rule the NFL has in place. You cannot smoke weed at any point while an employee of the company. And the NFL has every right to enforce that rule. Whether we agree or not. And my company has the same rule in place, with random drug tests to enforce it. And there is absolutely no way I'd ever put my career in jeopardy.

As I stated earlier, I'd absolutely support marijuana being legal in this country. Regardless, an employer has a right to enforce harsher rules. There's plenty of things I could do off-the-clock that would be totally legal in this country -- but if my company has a rule in place against that, I cannot and will not do it -- knowing my job is in jeopardy. Example: I cannot except gifts (i.e. a paid meal) from a participant in the energy market I work for. If I do, it's grounds for firing.

Bottom line: Randy knows the rules ... the expectations of his job. And he needs to follow the rules or else he will be punished harshly. In fact, he's given more slack than the vast majority of Americans -- because most of us don't get 2nd and 3rd chances when we disobey our employer's rules.

You're absolutely correct, my post was beside the point cuz like I said you can't be consuming on the job. I was just merely speculating that if better testing were available to discern between actually impairment vs trace elements present then perhaps employers such as the NFL could modify their stance and all of this is dependent upon legalization as was discussed earlier.
I personally don't have a problem with what people do in the privacy of their house but can also respect the contract the RG signed and the stance the NFL is taking with respect to Randy's obvious indiscretions as they pertain to his use of MJ. If and when the legalization becomes reality then we need to work harder to define those testing standards to allow people their free time to do what they want.

Last edited:
No doubt. Alcohol is far more physically addictive than weed. But it appears Randy has a mental addiction to pot, likely larger psychological issues to go with that. Unfortunately, this is a problem that should have been addressed much more so in college than apparently it was. As a professional, he likely has much more time alone and less support.

Personally, I don't find weed to be a problem in this country .... but as I've said before, if the company I work for doesn't allow it, it's an easy decision for me (which is very much the case -- no way would I risk my profession over it). A career always takes priority. And when marijuana does one day become legal throughout the U.S., companies will maintain the right to ban it.

Anything that gets in the way of doing your job is a problem. Could be weed/alchohol/sex/gambling addictions. I agree with your comment on following the rules, I don't know a lot of people that get in trouble in the work place when all they do is follow the rules.

Randy Gregory in the past said that his marijuana use stems from depression and anxiety. I wonder how much the Cowboys tried to help with this underlying issue?

Call him an idiot, but we don't actually know what's going on inside his head. Depression can sink a person, it's not picky whether it's Joe the Plumber or the multimillionaire seemingly living large. If you're battling those demons in your head, and MJ use is the thing that can calm the waters, could you resist? Could you be the person drowning that is thrown a life preserver and say "Nope, I'm good, I'll just wait for the rescue boat?"

The fact that this happened with the stakes so high should be more of an indication of how Gregory is swimming right now, and not on his choice of rescue.

For the most part I would agree, however, he has the tools and resources available to him that ordinary schmucks don't have. Counseling, legal drugs, group therapy, etc would have helped him get the treatment he needs while avoiding losing his job which will cause him even more problems. It appears like his addiction to marijuana is so strong that The fear of going without it has severely impaired his judgment...

He's had a Cowboys 'live-in employee' since he received his 4 game suspension. This means he's likely either sneaking around with it or the employee isn't doing their job. I'd lean more likely to the 1st option. So to answer your initial question, yes, I believe the Cowboys have tried to help with his underlying issue. They also attempted to put him with a counselor to work through his anxiety.

That's why I said he was foolish. That doesn't change the fact that the rule is stupid or that marijuana being illegal is also stupid.
Even if it were legal it could still not be allowed as terms of employment. There are many companys that do not allow things such as visible tattoos. My company gives cheaper health insurance if you don't use tobacco. certain jobs do not allow the use of alcohol and you can be terminated if caught. One of the diffeences is alcohol leaves the blood stream fairly quickly. So post testing is about 8-12 hours. THC stores in the body for up to 30 days. So it can be tested for well after usage. so it is really not an apples to apples comparison.

First positive test requires an education program and the following of recommendations from an individual study.
Second positive requires evaluation and rehab, possibly inpatient.
Third positive: you gone

I don't know that the school actually runs any of the rehab. Listening to ex-pros on ESPN, etc, though, you have to be a complete moron or have a huge problem in order to get popped. You basically know when the tests are coming and have a small window in which you have to avoid drugs.

To my understanding, THC remains in the system of chronic users much longer--up to a month, than in sporadic users, who can test clean after only a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back