• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Randy Gregory Article - Struggles with Addiction

HuskerInTexas

Scout Team
5 Year Member
This was a phenomenal article I read diving into the challenges Gregory has dealt with growing up and going through his NFL experience. It's been easy to mock him and challenge his "willingness" to remain sober but I highly recommend reading this to understand him and his situation better

Gregory, once a promising defensive end for the Dallas Cowboys, had spent the better part of 2017 underground. He had been suspended from the NFL for repeatedly violating the league's substance-abuse policy, was still smoking pot and had very little chance of ever returning to the NFL. In early December 2017, he sent a text to his lawyer:

" ... I'm a 25-year-old pro athlete with no friends. No income/job. Can't make my own decisions or go as I please. Have to check in with everyone for approval ..."

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...boys-randy-gregory-talks-being-real-bad-place

I hope the young man finds peace. It also shows that just like with any other substance. Marijuana can be addictive. I also will say that I do believe it has medical applications. However unfettered usage can lead to a person developing a need. He was using it to self medicate.

I hope the young man finds peace. It also shows that just like with any other substance. Marijuana can be addictive. I also will say that I do believe it has medical applications. However unfettered usage can lead to a person developing a need. He was using it to self medicate.

Indeed but most on this board would disagree.

I read his life story and his matches mine (except me not being an NFL calibre player lol) almost to a T. No, I was never addicted to street drugs, but I craved the booze. And did I want to die? Absolutely. I was lucky enough to supplement my pain with hours and hours of coaching and film study. My sons also breathed new life into my lungs. I was lucky to be saved. I truly hope RG finds peace in his heart and mind. It's easy to trash guys like him....but there are so many like him....your friends, co-workers, family, etc. You never know what someone is dealing with.

My nephew told me one time that “whoever says pot isn’t addictive, they are lying”. He died of a drug overdose about 6 months later. 23 years old, soon to graduate Texas Arlington.

He told me pot per se wasn’t addictive, but getting high - and higher - certainly was.

My nephew told me one time that “whoever says pot isn’t addictive, they are lying”. He died of a drug overdose about 6 months later. 23 years old, soon to graduate Texas Arlington.

He told me pot per se wasn’t addictive, but getting high - and higher - certainly was.
My condolences

I’m glad I read this. Didn’t know what he was dealing with. Also didn’t know his background. Wish I had a dollar for every post/comment I read of the “you can’t fix stupid” variety I read every time he was suspended. Ah, it must be fun going through life clueless.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back