• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Radio Saturdays

I liked Bob Zenner on KLIN in Lincoln the best. This was early Devaney years. WOW, KFOR, KFAB (with Bremser) were all choices then, and there may have been more. Not sure when the exclusive contract (gave it to only KFAB) happened. Zenner died young of Leukemia, iirc.

Last edited:

I was sitting in the Prairie Theater in Ogallala listening to the CU/NU game in 66' on my transistor radio. Nebraska came back and won that game in the 4th quarter and I was thrown out for yelling a bit too loud. Pretty embarrassing for an 11 year old. My Dad had the Ogallala band out there in Boulder for Band Day. They got pelted with snowballs with rocks in them after the game. Last time Dad took the band to Boulder.

I have memories of Greg Sharpe on fall Saturdays from when I was in High School, but it was for the wrong team. Grew up in NW Kansas, worked as a church janitor during HS. the only game I could get on my analog radio was KSU with Sharpe on the call. I'm not sure why, but I liked him better on the KSU call, I still think he is an above average PBP guy, definitely an upgrade from his predecessor (gag)

The only tractor big enough to work the fields that my dad ever owned while I was growing up was a 656 with no cab and the world's loudest fender-mounted radio. That thing could pick up a signal, too.

We must be the same age because I asked the same question at the same time. When my dad told me that it was short for "Isaiah Moses Hipp," I couldn't decide which version was more cool. When you're first exposed to a name like that over radio, versus seeing the guy in a picture or on TV or in person, the name conjures images that often didn't match reality. Jarvis Redwine was another one of the coolest names that I'd ever heard, but when I finally saw him on TV, I was disappointed to realize that he wasn't 7' tall and faster than a cheetah. He seemed larger than life on radio. He was a great player, but man, that name.

I can remember walking down the old Main Street of Yankton, SD, on game day with my mom when I was probably about 6 years old, and EVERY store had the game on, and most had it so that you could hear it in the street. When I was 10-14 years old I had a paper route that I delivered on bike. The houses were too spaced out to hear the whole game, but I knew which guys would be listening to it, so I'd stop and ask for updates as needed, and sometimes I'd stop and listen if it was a tense moment. I heard the Irving Fryar "Bounce-arooski" play to Mitch Krenk on the radio while standing next to the fence in a yard that had the game going on the radio on a porch. He kept describing it, over and over, and I was having a difficult time imagining how it was possible to purposefully throw a pass into the turf so that it would bounce into the other's players hands so that he could throw it. I saw it on the game highlights later, and then it made sense, but it was still impossible to figure out how to throw a ball to make it do that.

As for getting psyched up after the game and wanting to go outside and re-enact it, Turner Gill was almost always the guy that I wanted to imitate. I was 10 years old, working endlessly on my reverse pivots, ball fakes, and left-hand option pitches. The other player that I fell in love with on the radio was Jeff Smith. We were beating the tar out of Iowa in '82 when he came in late in the game. My dad knew all of the players, where they were from, backstories, etc., so he paused while working on his pull-type combine to tell me, "Hey, this kid's just a sophomore, out of Wichita. He's supposed to be fast." His first carry of his career, he went 80 yards for a touchdown against Iowa while my dad and I were standing there, leaning against the tractor, listening intently. He was forever my favorite RB after that. I was probably the only Nebraska fan alive who wasn't related to Jeff Smith who was excited to see him come into the '84 Orange Bowl when Rozier hurt his ankle. I jumped up and down when he scored the last touchdown, and I bawled when the 2-point conversion pass bounced off of his shoulder pad.

Good memories. Thanks, @CrabHusker.
Mostly from Omaha area, but I lived in Yankton for a little bit (90-94-ish) and definitely remember it as Nebraska territory for the most part. My Dad and I would listen to a lot of games on the radio either working on the acreage or hunting. First "big" fight I ever got in was because some kid up there spit on my 94' ntl. title hat. Don't remember why just seeing red, he got a few jabs in, but he definitely paid for that one.

well other than winning it all 2 years ago. Young, very young team

It's tough to maintain. Lose two or three kids and you're back to .500 hockey until you get another batch of difference makers. Almost like basketball only more interesting.

Pavelka will always be the guy for me. I never have especially taken a liking to any of the others.

I think I've told this story before on here. But I was making a barbwire gate while listening to TF's first game against Missouri. Now every time I open that gate (which is now well past it's prime) I remember that day.
I was at that game. Got there late and heard Tommie's name being announced. An exciting moment for sure.

It's tough to maintain. Lose two or three kids and you're back to .500 hockey until you get another batch of difference makers. Almost like basketball only more interesting.
they have a lot of Canadian jr players i. the works

I've spent a lot of Saturdays stuck in a steel cage with a light bar praying that no calls for service came in so I could listen to the Husker game unimpeded. I wish I could get the audio from the Tunein app to sync with the live game on TV. I prefer listening to Sharpe and Davison.

I've spent a lot of Saturdays stuck in a steel cage with a light bar praying that no calls for service came in so I could listen to the Husker game unimpeded. I wish I could get the audio from the Tunein app to sync with the live game on TV. I prefer listening to Sharpe and Davison.

I have to ask... prison IT guy? On-call shark relief diver?

I see the Nebraskans wandering around middle Tennessee as well. I’m not far off I 24 in Nolensville. We should think about getting a watch the site put together.
Great watch-sight down in Franklin/Brentwood area. Nashville Huskers put on a great game day experience at the Tin Roof 2.

Work in Franklin area and sometimes have to spend the weekend. Awesome job they do.

https://www.nashvillehuskers.com/

Thanks a million. I love the Tin Roof but had no idea they hosted anything for game day!

Got an invitation from the Nashville Huskers last season ... probably won't be able to join them until '20 season though as we still have HS sports activities that conflict.

Nothing like listening to the Rose Bowl on New Years Day in 1941. That was the biggest of big deals, made bigger by the fact that my uncle had won a drawing in his store in Lincoln and received an all expense paid trip to the game. So we had family there.

I confess I don't know who broadcast the game but if KFAB was there I suspect it was Bremser. He had started broadcasting Husker games in 1939. Whoever it was used the phrase shuttle pass or shuffle pass constantly. I never knew what that was and could not visualize it. But in those games, not very much happened really. Stanford had the new fangled T formation that we had never seen, so they won the game. But we played a close game with them and only lost because of a late punt return for a touchdown (we had to punt from out own 1 yard line in the foruth quarter).

Eddie Schwartzkopf, later a regent, played guard on that team at -- wait for it -- 145 pounds.

I was the age that I went outside at half time and played football in the vacant lot down the street. We always imitated some back; as I recall, I always wanted to be Harry Hopp.

Funny how memories work. I am convinced in my mind that that game was played when it was Fall in Lincoln. But from about 1943 on I always went to the games either by sneaking in, by using a Knothole ticket, or by standing around in front of the West stadium until someone gave me a free ticket. So I didn't hear any home games on the radio.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back