• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Quick Write-Up

I completely get that. I love the potential at WR with Betts, Manning, Martin, etc. I love the potential in the RB room with Stepp and others like Morrison and Scott. Our TEs will be solid. I love Corcorans potential. My issue is, we've had potential every year since the staff has been here. We hear it all offseason, so what makes me think it will be different in 2021?

My glass is half full is if we can just get special teams better, that's 1-2 more wins gaining the field position edge. With our scholarship punter back and a revised focus, i'm hoping that gets there. It almost literally can't be any worse. Then we just have to have our defense stay the same, and our offense be a bit more functional and that nets us .500. I don't think that's asking too much for 2021 and is certainly attainable which is where my optimistic view is. Again though, I just need to see it happen on the field anymore. I've tried the believing before seeing thing the past three years and it hasn't panned out.

Agreed, and one more thing: when the short passing game to the TEs is working, don't move away from it for the rest of the game. :)

Fantastic write up.

I will quibble with you only to say that although the defense is our best unit, it is far from successful.
Its main goals are to prevent scoring (duh) and to cause turnovers to help set up scoring opportunities for the offense.
This latter point is critical given the offensive deficits seen in the last two years.
So let's not be opinion based but look at the numbers:
2020:
Turnovers: Created only 5 INT and Two fumbles (-11 on the year)
Scorring defense: 29.3 points per game (64 th Nationally)

2019:
Turnovers: 9 INTS, 10 fumbles (-4)
Scoring defense: 27.8 points per game (67th)

2018:
Turnovers: 11 INT, 9 fumbles (-1)
Scoring defense: 31.3 (88)

So, while some "progress" has been made in scoring defense there is not a significant steady downward trend in points per game allowed.

But even more importantly to me, there is a lack of created turnovers that will improve turnover margin and set up the offense for success.
This, combined with the improvement desired in Special Teams, is the only way that a winning season is possible in 2021.

There is no evidence that the current staff is focused on any of the things you have mentioned ***, nor the things I have brought up to further bring the defense to the needed level of success that winning requires. :(

GBR

Fantastic write up.

I will quibble with you only to say that although the defense is our best unit, it is far from successful.
Its main goals are to prevent scoring (duh) and to cause turnovers to help set up scoring opportunities for the offense.
This latter point is critical given the offensive deficits seen in the last two years.
So let's not be opinion based but look at the numbers:
2020:
Turnovers: Created only 5 INT and Two fumbles (-11 on the year)
Scorring defense: 29.3 points per game (64 th Nationally)

2019:
Turnovers: 9 INTS, 10 fumbles (-4)
Scoring defense: 27.8 points per game (67th)

2018:
Turnovers: 11 INT, 9 fumbles (-1)
Scoring defense: 31.3 (88)

So, while some "progress" has been made in scoring defense there is not a significant steady downward trend in points per game allowed.

But even more importantly to me, there is a lack of created turnovers that will improve turnover margin and set up the offense for success.
This, combined with the improvement desired in Special Teams, is the only way that a winning season is possible in 2021.

There is no evidence that the current staff is focused on any of the things you have mentioned ***, nor the things I have brought up to further bring the defense to the needed level of success that winning requires. :(

GBR
I agree with everything here. I see progress on defense but is it good enough? I don't know. This team keeps underachieving and getting worse by the year. Staff changes or philosophies have to change. There is no excuse for continuing poor special teams play. Fixable stuff is not being fixed. Hopefully the AD and other influential people start pressuring Scott about better results.

I agree with everything here. I see progress on defense but is it good enough? I don't know. This team keeps underachieving and getting worse by the year. Staff changes or philosophies have to change. There is no excuse for continuing poor special teams play. Fixable stuff is not being fixed. Hopefully the AD and other influential people start pressuring Scott about better results.
Pretty much. I don't think it's a matter of cleaning up a few things here and there though that would be nice. I come back to the offensive scheme. We've been trying to implement a finessed based style for years now with little success. Too complicated for the perpetual youth that we seem to have now. Too many mistakes and "lack of execution" due to complexity. A simplified north-south run and passing game over the horizontal stuff needs to happen but it won't. Yeah, basically Wisconsin which was Nebraska of long ago.

I’ve said it before, and this is not a hit on Scott to be rude, it’s just facts. Results speak for themselves. I can sum up our entire issue in one sentence. Until you’re willing to pay for the best, be ready to accept mediocre results. My solution is going to the top 5 (maybe 10) coaches in CFB and offering them close to a blank check (within reason obviously) to come to Nebraska. Worked out pretty good for Texas A/M. Criticize it all you want, but deep down, that is the solution.

Good write up ***.

Maybe Urban Myer can provide some insight. Even if some may not like the guy he has experience/success that should not be ignored!
Urban Meyer has critical advice for struggling football teams (247sports.com)

"Every time I've had a team struggle -- every time -- it's fallen into one of three issues:
No. 1, it's some kind of trust issue. The players don't trust the coach. The coach doesn't trust the players. Or, it's awful if the players don't trust each other.

No. 2, it's a dysfunctional work environment where the expectation is very high, but we don't work hard. The coach has to be really clear with his team that it will lead to anger, frustration and disappointment because we want to win a championship. But I've got bad news, guys: We're not working hard ... Your work ethic must exceed or meet your expectations. That's a good environment.

The last one is real obvious: You've got a selfish team, man. Football is an unselfish sport. You've got to do the nasty. If I'm a running back, I've got to go and protect my quarterback. You don't always get to go carry the ball. Sometimes you have to go running down a kickoff 22 miles per hour and throw yourself into someone going 15 miles per hour the other way. That's not fun, so why would you do that? You love your team and teammates."

This is a Team Culture Issue!

Last edited:

I don't know if Frost can do this, but seems like a focus on special teams will help a lot of ills. Working on special teams can provide a method to work on discipline and teamwork.

Frost was a DB in the pros, and has been a defensive coach in the past. I think he's been a member of special teams in the pros, all this stuff should be in his bag of tricks. We'll see.

Quoting (bolding and chopping) these three, which I all read to be making the same point:

I'll just reiterate. What is going on in Lincoln isn't happening everywhere. It's not a Covid issue. It's a Nebraska thing. The quicker we figure that out, the better off we are going to be. We need to figure out how to get kids to stay here.

I think Frost knows it hasn't worked. The exodus is showing that. All he can do is take his medicine and try to do better in the future, and I believe that's why he is saying some of the things he is. I'm cool with that, because what else are you supposed to say/do? We haven't been good, we need to be better, let's move forward with who is here.

My glass is half full is if we can just get special teams better, that's 1-2 more wins gaining the field position edge. With our scholarship punter back and a revised focus, i'm hoping that gets there. It almost literally can't be any worse. Then we just have to have our defense stay the same, and our offense be a bit more functional and that nets us .500. I don't think that's asking too much for 2021 and is certainly attainable which is where my optimistic view is. Again though, I just need to see it happen on the field anymore. I've tried the believing before seeing thing the past three years and it hasn't panned out.

There's some subjective things from long ago that are coloring my response, but there's a large part that is questioning whether there is a willingness. Knowing what hasn't worked, is a good start, recognizing what needs to change, and acknowledging what needs to change go along with that.

The willingness to follow through is what's concerning. We've been hearing it more or less, in some fashion or another for 3 years...but really haven't been seeing it...at least on the offensive side of the ball, and then there's the unexplainable attrition that's not exclusive to the offense.

Right. I don't need to hear about how other teams have their backups leave and it's the same exact situation and "everyone is having it happen." If we can play for two conference titles in three years I'll gladly have all 85 guys in the portal and not even care.

Rivals just did a write-up about the 2020 class and it really illustrates how we turn a blind eye to things that are right in front of us just to try and defend what's happening. We had 5 guys leave already from that class, blaming things like Covid and other non-quanitfiable events. The next closest team in the B1G had 2 leave. With the re-rankings our class is actually sitting 7th in the B1G right now. If Covid really mattered why did it only effect us? We have former players and fans saying "if they don't want to be here we are better off." That's fine in year 1 and year 2. But when you start saying it about the #1 APB in the country that you signed and told everyone how important he is for you, it falls on deaf ears a bit.

I'll just reiterate. What is going on in Lincoln isn't happening everywhere. It's not a Covid issue. It's a Nebraska thing. The quicker we figure that out, the better off we are going to be. We need to figure out how to get kids to stay here.
***:
AD Moos is a football guy.
He presided over a "rebuild" a WSU that took three years and then got going.
Do you know, other than publicly supporting Frost, what if any impact/advise/input he has provided to the program?
He has to have seen and made an analysis very similar to yours about what has kept DONU from a winning record the last three years and what is required to change that for 2021.
And he has to be seeing whether that are changes being made that can lead to winning in 2021, so would he give advice if he didnt see those changes?

GBR

Good write up ***.

Maybe Urban Myer can provide some insight. Even if some may not like the guy he has experience that should not be ignored!
Urban Meyer has critical advice for struggling football teams (247sports.com)

"Every time I've had a team struggle -- every time -- it's fallen into one of three issues:
No. 1, it's some kind of trust issue. The players don't trust the coach. The coach doesn't trust the players. Or, it's awful if the players don't trust each other.

No. 2, it's a dysfunctional work environment where the expectation is very high, but we don't work hard. The coach has to be really clear with his team that it will lead to anger, frustration and disappointment because we want to win a championship. But I've got bad news, guys: We're not working hard ... Your work ethic must exceed or meet your expectations. That's a good environment.

The last one is real obvious: You've got a selfish team, man. Football is an unselfish sport. You've got to do the nasty. If I'm a running back, I've got to go and protect my quarterback. You don't always get to go carry the ball. Sometimes you have to go running down a kickoff 22 miles per hour and throw yourself into someone going 15 miles per hour the other way. That's not fun, so why would you do that? You love your team and teammates."
I could see all 3 of these being possible right now. On offense it has the feel of a trust issue. The expectation in Lincoln is high every year and the team even said after the Illinois game they didn't practice hard enough that week. Selfish could have been created by trying to keep Mo, leaving Cam at center when he was clearly struggling, etc.

I really hope Frost can turn things around but there are a lot of negative things happening on his side of the ball and he seems to be trying to downplay it in the media. I hope behind closed doors he knows there are real issues that need to be fixed on his side.

Before the trio of players hit the transfer portal everyone seemed to be saying we had 2 spots left. Do we now have 5 that we can take to help fill the voids if we find guys in the portal or is the number less?

Before the trio of players hit the transfer portal everyone seemed to be saying we had 2 spots left. Do we now have 5 that we can take to help fill the voids if we find guys in the portal or is the number less?
Nope. Can't use for 2021

It seems like Frost has some of that Pelini disease. He thinks he's all that and doesn't see that changes need to be made, and... he surrounds himself largely with friends and yes men. We are now on year three where we've said that Frost needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and I don't see any evidence that it is happening. I hope I'm wrong but I have a suspicion we will be having exactly the same conversation one year from now.

Another thing. I thought that Frost was a players coach. Kids loved playing for him. Instead kids are running, not walking, away from him in droves. There is a problem here. It's one thing if you lose key pieces every few years. We are losing them every single year. There is something going on here that we just aren't aware of.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back