• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Questions for Native and Coronavirus discussion Thread

I might need you to rephrase the question. ;)

Basically you don't lose your ability to diversify antibody repertoire with age.... Sometimes a real young child isn't ready to develop their own yet, and early age isn't a major factor in how you might develop to a vaccine.... I am not sure I am answering the question though.
Ok,I was under the impression there's a beginning 'imprinting' when we're young, and our systems tend to reset to that.
While I may have misinterpreted that, it might make sense in that people are generally using their immune systems by whats around them, thus a go to, or normal immune activity?

Like, how we keep hearing about advancing into new jungles that contain various 'new' virus.
But, to the locals there, it isn't 'new'.

Not, that you lose the ability of your immune system, but that its response is lower or slower after time.

Ok,I was under the impression there's a beginning 'imprinting' when we're young, and our systems tend to reset to that.
While I may have misinterpreted that, it might make sense in that people are generally using their immune systems by whats around them, thus a go to, or normal immune activity?

Like, how we keep hearing about advancing into new jungles that contain various 'new' virus.
But, to the locals there, it isn't 'new'.

Not, that you lose the ability of your immune system, but that its response is lower or slower after time.

Most of the data that I am aware of on early immune exposure has to deal with allergy development or lack thereof. The cleanliness hypothesis is essential that exposure to allergens a young age allows you to develop tolerance to something. Basically as we have all moved indoors and into more "sterile" environments our bodies then overreact to things exposed later in life and develop allergies. Also gives the reason that new mom's and pediatricians get to have endless conversations about the appropriate time to introduce a strawberry into the diet of a baby. (Example 300 why I wouldn't want to be a pediatrician). As we age and get older, developing a good immune response is harder and reason behind elderly having weak immune system.

For the most part throw a healthy guy in the jungle and will be fine. But there are always situations where getting an illness while younger is better. measles and chicken pox often less severe in very young. COVID is seeming to fall into this category as well. A little GI issue from the water in a developing country as a baby and that survive and protected a lot more fun than the non-local showing up and getting massive explosive diarrhea. Lots of variables.

Most of the data that I am aware of on early immune exposure has to deal with allergy development or lack thereof. The cleanliness hypothesis is essential that exposure to allergens a young age allows you to develop tolerance to something. Basically as we have all moved indoors and into more "sterile" environments our bodies then overreact to things exposed later in life and develop allergies. Also gives the reason that new mom's and pediatricians get to have endless conversations about the appropriate time to introduce a strawberry into the diet of a baby. (Example 300 why I wouldn't want to be a pediatrician). As we age and get older, developing a good immune response is harder and reason behind elderly having weak immune system.

For the most part throw a healthy guy in the jungle and will be fine. But there are always situations where getting an illness while younger is better. measles and chicken pox often less severe in very young. COVID is seeming to fall into this category as well. A little GI issue from the water in a developing country as a baby and that survive and protected a lot more fun than the non-local showing up and getting massive explosive diarrhea. Lots of variables.
Thanks, very helpful. I thought I'd done the pooch so bad I'd lost you.

You are correct, that it is a nucleotide analog. So while not truly target the RNA dependent RNA polymerase, the drug acts a on the polymerase. So typically these drugs tent to lack a bit of potency when compared to non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI) or protease inhibitor (PI) drugs, due largely to their competitive mode of inhibition and requirement for metabolic activation. (HAART therapy for HIV uses all three classes of drugs in combination).

I don't know for sure, but I would say that viral mutation is less likely. I say this as the nucleotide incorporation domain is still going to have to accept regular nucleotides in order to still work, so the chance of a mutation blocking the analog, while not effecting the other nucleotides becomes less likely. If you look at mutation rates of the virus in general, and check out the latest Covid evolutionary video in my other thread (#41) you see that in general the RNAdepRnaPolymerase is more stable in general as mutation here are selected against, any mutation that effects the fidelity or processivity of the enzyme is less likely.
this was my thinking re: mutation, thank you.

This may be redundant but I haven't gone thru this whole thread so forgive me. What do you think of the recent reports that covid19 is actually airborne and can be expelled and survive up to a half hour in a contagious state. Is this just BS, I figured it had to be or everyone would be shatting their pants.

This may be redundant but I haven't gone thru this whole thread so forgive me. What do you think of the recent reports that covid19 is actually airborne and can be expelled and survive up to a half hour in a contagious state. Is this just BS, I figured it had to be or everyone would be shatting their pants.

My two cents, it's in controlled close spaces due to loading.

PSA:

The "Plandemic" video that is circulating today is garbage. I don't know what happened with her or Fauci at NIH in the 80s or 90s, but if she is willing to let them piece together that scientific hot mess for the last half of her sour grapes story, then I don't trust any of it. Don't bother looking up and listening. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back