• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Questions for Native and Coronavirus discussion Thread

I have found no information on whether or not having taken the two pneumonia shots provides any benefit to the symptoms of the Coronavirus. Any insights as to whether or not these vaccines help if you catch the Coronavirus?

I have found no information on whether or not having taken the two pneumonia shots provides any benefit to the symptoms of the Coronavirus. Any insights as to whether or not these vaccines help if you catch the Coronavirus?

You are referring to the pneumococcal vaccine. That is bacterial and a vaccine against a variety of polysaccharides capsular antigens. Basically vaccine recognizes the most common outside the bacterial cell wall components. So no, it will not help.

@Native What is your opinion on these drugs and other anti virals such as Tamiflu and Acyclovir for treating coronavirus?

It's tough to say right now. The paper cited by Ackos documents good in vitro activity, which is a measure of the effectiveness in cells. There are clinical trials underway for remdesivir in China and the US, so hopefully we'll know more in the near future. There is anecdotal evidence that it is working in patients who have access to the compound through the compassionate care route, and then there's a pre-print paper below that says the effect is marginal.

Note on this paper: It was published on a preprint server and has not been peer reviewed. There were only 3 patients out of 12 given the drug, so pretty much any results other than a miraculous quick clearing of the virus will be hard to interpret.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20032896v1.full.pdf

Thrrmo Fisher got EUA on Friday. Big difference with that test is it is approved for one well/ patient, multiplex sssay, 3 targets (N, S, and orf1ab) + an exogenous positive control in each well,. A 96 well plate can run 94 patient samples and 2 controls in. ~4 hours including automated extraction.

The CDC EUA is a singleplex assay 1 target per well. 2 targets (N1, N2, plus human RNAseP control, Plus ar keast 6 controls per plate, no template and positive controls, so only 30 patient samples per 96 well plate iin roughly the same amount of time, or longer depending on the time takes to extract the sample, in the protocolI I thought they had to run in duplicate as well, which would cut that # in half, but as I re-read the protocol, it appears that one replicate is specified. It might have been updated since I read it before-now version 2 released March 15th.

Thd ThermoFisher kit essentially runs 3X the number of samples per plate than the CDC protocol, tripling the amount of tests condcted in the same amount of time. The added benefit is that 3 different regions of the virus are targeted, reducing the potential for the test to fail if there is a change/mutation in the N gene, which the CDC assay targets specifically.

Last edited:
Thrrmo Fisher got EUA on Friday. Big difference with that test is it is approved for one well/ patient, multiplex sssay, 3 targets (N, S, and orf1ab) + an exogenous positive control in each well,. A 96 well plate can run 94 patient samples and 2 controls in. ~4 hours including automated extraction.

The CDC EUA is a singleplex assay 1 target per well. 2 targets (N1, N2, plus human RNAseP control, Plus ar keast 6 controls per plate, no template and positive controls, so only 30 patient samples per 96 well plate iin roughly the same amount of time, or longer depending on the time takes to extract the sample, in the protocolI I thought they had to run in duplicate as well, which would cut that # in half, but as I re-read the protocol, it appears that one replicate is specified. It might have been updated since I read it before-now version 2 released March 15th.

Thd ThermoFisher kit essentially runs 3X the number of samples per plate than the CDC protocol, tripling the amount of tests condcted in the same amount of time. The added benefit is that 3 different regions of the virus are targeted, reducing the potential for the test to fail if there is a change/mutation in the N gene, which the CDC assay targets specifically.

Do you happen to know the stringencies of say the S. Korea test? Are they including the same number of positive and negative controls etc? One way to increase # is to do a test in a manner that would risk more false positives for the sake of numbers.

Do you happen to know the stringencies of say the S. Korea test? Are they including the same number of positive and negative controls etc? One way to increase # is to do a test in a manner that would risk more false positives for the sake of numbers.

I don’t know how S Korea is testing, sorry. It might be out there on the internets...

From the standpoint of a professional in the business of virology, how concerned are any of you about potential zoonotic viruses more robust outside their hosts than Covid 19, Hanta, Ebola, etc.?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back