• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Questions for Native and Coronavirus discussion Thread

Im talking about doubling rate of confirmed cases. I get you point about mortality rate dropping.

Oh I'm guessing the 'Doubling' may turn into 'Quadrupling'. It only makes sense right? If we test 1 million people tomorrow, we're going to get some positives and the overall case count will jump exponentially.

Oh I'm guessing the 'Doubling' may turn into 'Quadrupling'. It only makes sense right? If we test 1 million people tomorrow, we're going to get some positives and the overall case count will jump exponentially.

Here's a number I'd like to see. If they test 1 million people, what percentage of those tests were positive. I think that number will mean more then total positive cases. I think we already know the more they test the more positive cases there will be.

People are going to get hysterical when we have more positive cases then Italy, but that number is meaningless unless you consider the per capita rate of positive cases.

Here's a number I'd like to see. If they test 1 million people, what percentage of those tests were positive. I think that number will mean more then total positive cases. I think we already know the more they test the more positive cases there will be.

People are going to get hysterical when we have more positive cases then Italy, but that number is meaningless unless you consider the per capita rate of positive cases.

Agree, but that will be dynamic and vary across the US. The media keeping the running total isn't helpful and fans the flames of panic. When we hit 1 million infected, it's going to get psychotic. We have 30% out of 1 million test positive and less than 1% die and that's still a lot of people. We will absolutely have more positives than Italy based solely on population and you're right. It will lather folks up.

We’ve tested 228K estimated with 32K positive, so take that x 4-5 and you’ll get an idea. The % of positives will decline at some point, but not for awhile.

I think we should get close to a million tested this week, if not more. In a week we should be testing >1M/week minimum.

Last edited:

Cepheid got EUA approval. This is big. Cepheid has point-of-care systems that do not require a high-complexity CLIA lab to operate. These systems are in doctor’s offices and used for typical stuff like FluA, FluB, RSV, etc.. Tests run from the swab in an hour or less . No RNA extraction step, so no additional impact on current testing supply chain.

Danaher owns Cepheid, as well as IDT, who was the first EUA to manufacture the CDC kits,

Last edited:
I don't have much to add to the testing and numbers conversations. Test more people we are going to find more positives.

All that does for us is adjust the mortality rate.

Deaths/Cases is one way to report it.

There is always a time factor involved in this is well, but with our favorite new disease, so far we can pretty well ignore that variable in looking at things currently.

I don't think anybody actually knows the numbers of asymptomatic individuals so everything is a bit of educated guess work at this point in time. End of the day, hospitalization rate (timeframe every week or 2???) in any given location is what is going to be key IMO.

The news keep saying that people should not use masks because they are not effective at preventing you from getting the virus and then they turn right around and say we need to save the masks for the medical professionals to keep them safe.

While I support getting the masks to the professionals, this is a mixed message. Are they just assuming the general public will wear the mask incorrectly making it ineffective?

The news keep saying that people should not use masks because they are not effective at preventing you from getting the virus and then they turn right around and say we need to save the masks for the medical professionals to keep them safe.

While I support getting the masks to the professionals, this is a mixed message. Are they just assuming the general public will wear the mask incorrectly making it ineffective?

Not all masks are created equal. A dust mask from the Home De-pot, is going to limit large particles etc, but isn't designed to keep out a virus. Sure, may block some, but by no means is it protective. N95 are the main ones that are going to keep a person safe. others have some limiting properties for sure, but to what extent etc. Medical professionals have to get fit tested every year for N95 masks I believe. If you have a beard as a doctor you are effectively opting out on them as a precaution for yourself.

Already been a death from someone self medicating.

So sure?

So early February I had flu symptoms and broke down and went to the doc.

Flu, pneumonia and a kidney infection.....all at the same time. Spectacular.

Treatment was levofloxacin. I'm allergic to penicillin drugs so this was the choice the doc made to hit both the pneumonia and kidney infection. I knocked both out pretty rapidly...with some lovely side effects, but, I have seen where it's part of a treatment of Covid 19. I'm assuming it's a preemptive strike on the potential for pneumonia?

So early February I had flu symptoms and broke down and went to the doc.

Flu, pneumonia and a kidney infection.....all at the same time. Spectacular.

Treatment was levofloxacin. I'm allergic to penicillin drugs so this was the choice the doc made to hit both the pneumonia and kidney infection. I knocked both out pretty rapidly...with some lovely side effects, but, I have seen where it's part of a treatment of Covid 19. I'm assuming it's a preemptive strike on the potential for pneumonia?

treatment regimes are where someone else needs to pick up the slack. I have heard that seeing less secondary pneumonia with covid. Again, numbers early.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back