• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question?

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member
What happens to college football when the XFL, whom the NFL is somewhat behind, starts signing the best HS players for a million or so per year? I’m hearing things about them doing as much. Will college football get the leftover scraps? Will college football die? Ryan Day says he needs 13 million just to keep his roster in tact, for one season. This is bad, bad for everyone who loves college football. Looks like it’s headed for a slow death. Any thoughts?

What happens to college football when the XFL, whom the NFL is somewhat behind, starts signing the best HS players for a million or so per year? I’m hearing things about them doing as much. Will college football get the leftover scraps? Will college football die? Ryan Day says he needs 13 million just to keep his roster in tact, for one season. This is bad, bad for everyone who loves college football. Looks like it’s headed for a slow death. Any thoughts?
Hopefully the XFL will die quickly, because I think what you described is a real possibility.

If the XFL succeeds and that is a huge if … college football will continue to survive (at least that particular threat). College basketball survived the one-and-done phase.

I think a more likely threat is an end to the three year waiting period for pot3ntial athletes to the NFL.

I suspect the NFL has always wanted an NFL Europe type program … a developmental league per se but why invest in something like that when tOSU and Alabama et al are perfectly minor league system that doesn’t cost them any money.

Agreed. Basketball players can play overseas for a year out of high school and then become eligible for the NBA draft, but college basketball still exist.

College football ain't going anywhere.

Fans can't complain about the best players wanting to get paid, and then at the same time complain that there won't be enough talent to watch.

If the XFL succeeds and that is a huge if … college football will continue to survive (at least that particular threat). College basketball survived the one-and-done phase.

I think a more likely threat is an end to the three year waiting period for pot3ntial athletes to the NFL.
Mostly be the best players won’t be in college, so the talent pool will get watered down. NIL is a higher threat. It’s going to turn off viewers. It already is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back