• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question on Fred and Co.

BleedinHuskerRed

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Just got finished listening to the Husker Doc Podcast, and Dr. Rob and Travis say that the team has quit on Hoiberg. Is that what folks on here are seeing too?

If so… there’s a LOT of season left, and it’s going to be ugly.

I'm afraid that Hoiberg's unique take on transfers has been codified by the NCAA. Matt Abdelmassih is amazing with his networking, but that's not enough anymore.

Someone had mentioned that he noticed that players coming to the bench seemed to be giving high-fives to certain group of people, and maybe there's a couple camps instead of a team.

I think this is the week that Fred brings out the big hammer and breaks everything up with the idea that anything will be better than what they have now. I wonder if he pushes every player over a position... start Kobe and have Lat come off the bench? Start Andre and Walker together? If Breidenbach wasn't hurt, I could see him starting with Walker.

Hoiberg has been an epic failure. I really thought he would do better. But his ever changing roster, poor performances, etc... Its just not working. The program is a mess. Barring a miracle, this is likely Fred's last season here.

Last edited:
Hoiberg has been an epic failure. I really thought he would do better. But his ever changing roster, poor performances, etc... Its just not working. The program is a mess. Barring a miracle, this is likely Fred's last season here.
Anybody know what his buyout looks like?

Anybody know what his buyout looks like?

This is painful. His buyout is 8.75 million. He is making 3.5 million a year. What I didn't get was a $1,000,00.00 stay here bonus with only being here less than two years in 2020. To be fair he did give a portion of his contract back to the University during covid. I imagine Trev will do the same with Fred as he did with Scott and do a restructure. I hope so; mainly to give Amy Williams what she deserves.

This is painful. His buyout is 8.75 million. He is making 3.5 million a year. What I didn't get was a $1,000,00.00 stay here bonus with only being here less than two years in 2020. To be fair he did give a portion of his contract back to the University during covid. I imagine Trev will do the same with Fred as he did with Scott and do a restructure. I hope so; mainly to give Amy Williams what she deserves.
It certainly is another bad deal for the university. I think Hoiberg, like Frost, had a failed plan coming into Nebraska. Both leaned on what worked for them in the past, but that doesn't necessarily work here. Hoiberg may survive for the same reasons that Frost did (large buyouts), but both did not do a strong enough analysis of the situation they were walking into. Nebraska is unique...and requires a unique plan. Frost is getting a 2nd chance because blowing up the program would only cause further damage. However, I think basketball can be a much quicker fix considering you are dealing with less players on a roster. I did not say easier, just a quicker turn-around in this one & done, transfer heavy world we live in.

It certainly is another bad deal for the university. I think Hoiberg, like Frost, had a failed plan coming into Nebraska. Both leaned on what worked for them in the past, but that doesn't necessarily work here. Hoiberg may survive for the same reasons that Frost did (large buyouts), but both did not do a strong enough analysis of the situation they were walking into. Nebraska is unique...and requires a unique plan. Frost is getting a 2nd chance because blowing up the program would only cause further damage. However, I think basketball can be a much quicker fix considering you are dealing with less players on a roster. I did not say easier, just a quicker turn-around in this one & done, transfer heavy world we live in.
Great analysis. Great post.

Just got finished listening to the Husker Doc Podcast, and Dr. Rob and Travis say that the team has quit on Hoiberg. Is that what folks on here are seeing too?

If so… there’s a LOT of season left, and it’s going to be ugly.
It's a dumpster fire for sure. John Cook has a little spare time right now.

This team has no real leadership and has quit on themselves. Selfish play, don't run an offense, and shoot it in 10 seconds or less. Disappointing in the product on the floor. I'm sure Hoiberg is as well.

Trey McGowans is the only person who can fix it now, if he's bought in with Fred and can lead a team including his brother (will be hard). It's still going to be weeks before he's back. I thought Breidenbach might be able to do it through sheer effort, but he blew out his knee as soon as he started to emerge.

Maybe Kobe Webster could lead -- the team actually gets into the called sets when he's playing -- but they don't make shots.

Final chance: Quaran McPherson sat next to Gates and Abdelmassih the whole KSU game, way up the bench. I think they are seeing if they can give him a crash course in D1 ball and see if he's the hail mary.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back