• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question from the radio yesterday

This was brought up by Damon Benning on the radio yesterday, even before the Schlager transfer from Colorado State news. Now that we are adding another walk-on, it makes me even more curious about it.

Putting a fence around the state of Nebraska is an extremely high priority for Scott Frost and Nebraska when it comes to recruiting. In my opinion, the next guy in line to get that scholarship offer from the Cornhuskers is Isaac Gifford from Lincoln Southeast. He has a couple FBS offers, one from a P5. The question that DB brought up that i've been pondering is, with all of the hype Luke Reimer is getting in camp, with how highly thought of Joey Johnson is (stay healthy young man), and now Schlager transferring in from Colorado State, how do these 3 walk-ons performing well early in their careers affect a scholarship offer to Gifford? What I mean is, you brought in Snodgrass, Hannah, and Henrich last year, Joey Johnson is a redshirt freshman, Luke Reimer is a true freshman, and now Schlager is coming in as a redshirt freshman.

I don't know if the answer is out there, and this is exactly what the walk-on program is supposed to do, as we need more competition and quite frankly the depth isn't great at LB. The projections that these coaches have to do with who can help leaves a lot of guess work out there.

This was brought up by Damon Benning on the radio yesterday, even before the Schlager transfer from Colorado State news. Now that we are adding another walk-on, it makes me even more curious about it.

Putting a fence around the state of Nebraska is an extremely high priority for Scott Frost and Nebraska when it comes to recruiting. In my opinion, the next guy in line to get that scholarship offer from the Cornhuskers is Isaac Gifford from Lincoln Southeast. He has a couple FBS offers, one from a P5. The question that DB brought up that i've been pondering is, with all of the hype Luke Reimer is getting in camp, with how highly thought of Joey Johnson is (stay healthy young man), and now Schlager transferring in from Colorado State, how do these 3 walk-ons performing well early in their careers affect a scholarship offer to Gifford? What I mean is, you brought in Snodgrass, Hannah, and Henrich last year, Joey Johnson is a redshirt freshman, Luke Reimer is a true freshman, and now Schlager is coming in as a redshirt freshman.

I don't know if the answer is out there, and this is exactly what the walk-on program is supposed to do, as we need more competition and quite frankly the depth isn't great at LB. The projections that these coaches have to do with who can help leaves a lot of guess work out there.
Certainly something they will have to evaluate. Might depend on how his Senior season goes and are they looking at him for immediate play time or 2 more years after that. This had to be the same type of decisions TO had to deal with during our prime when you have to decide between a light 3 star Nebraska guy or a highly rated 4 star from out of state. I'm not sure where Isaac is ranked right now.

Well you are right...…………..I don't know if the answer is out there.
But...…..I love the focus on Nebraska kids, the re-emergence of the walk-on program and the emphasis on creating work ethic, selflessness, depth, accountability, and all the things that we have seen since December of 2017.
Slowly but surely we are seeing the impact leadership and vision has.
I have confidence Coach Frost and this staff are getting this train rolling and once it reaches top speed, as he stated, "you better get us now".
Well, folks got us last year 8 times.
We "got" ourselves in some of those, but I digress.
That is all about to change and I can't wait for 2 weeks from Saturday.
And 2 weeks from today I will embark upon the 15 hour journey.
GBR !!

Last edited:
The great thing about having the "cushion" of those guys is it helps a team get past the inevitable "misses" that occur during recruiting. Either not getting your preferred target, the player not being as good as advertised, getting hurt or getting homesick. All those things that can destroy depth is less destructive to the program with a solid base of local players to draw from.

With tuition being 9 times what it was back in the 80’s I see it being more difficult to convince instate guys to walk on to UNL if they’ve been offered full rides elsewhere

What makes me most excited is when you've got Reimer turning down scholarship offers to walk-on at NU, and maybe Schlager make a similar choice.

That seems to be an indication that local kids actually care about what's happening down in Lincoln and want to be a part of it. And are willing to put some "skin" in the game as a result. Not sure that has been the case for quite some time. That's a strong indicator of something good happening.

Last edited:
If I am going to stretch on a guy for a scholarship I would rather do it with a Nebraska kid. Pelini did it way too much with guys from somewhere in Louisiana or Florida. He didn't value Nebraska HS players. That has been talked about at length.

From what I am hearing Issac Gifford really isn't much of a stretch. The big problem is what he will play.

If I am going to stretch on a guy for a scholarship I would rather do it with a Nebraska kid. Pelini did it way too much with guys from somewhere in Louisiana or Florida. He didn't value Nebraska HS players. That has been talked about at length.

From what I am hearing Issac Gifford really isn't much of a stretch. The big problem is what he will play.
I think it's where to project him. Not as tall as his brother, and while explosive, probably doesn't hold a candle to guys like Pola-Gates that we are bringing in at safety.

Adding to this, does his brother's modest success in an NFL training camp bolster his perceived pedigree and make it more likely that an offer is extended?

Adding to this, does his brother's modest success in an NFL training camp bolster his perceived pedigree and make it more likely that an offer is extended?
All good questions. Not that i'm advocating for "since his brother got one he should" or anything, but the pedigree is obviously there. He isn't quite as stretched out as his brother so curious where we project him.

In my opinion Bo valued the Nebraska kid more than MR did. I have no problem with out of state walk ons. I remember a guy by the name of I.M. Hipp

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back