• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Richard Torres is N

H
Statistics you didn’t include:
Touchdown to pass ratio
Fumbles lost
Completed passes in excess of 20 yards.

While AM looked promising year 1, even then he had lots of turnovers.

Haarberg has a gun, but his completion percentage in the Spring Game was not good (less than 50% IIRC). I bet a dollar to donuts Cole Payton will have both a better college and pro career than Haarberg. But he has a gun so there is some hope he will look batter than a sub 60% Class C QB.
One of the greatest QBs of all time threw very few passes in the air over 20 yds. His big plays were made by his WR YAC. I will always remember the 89 playoff game against the Rams. John Taylor caught 2 passes for over 90 yards. Neither pass was thrown more that 10 in the air. The key is hitting your fastest players in stride. Not sure we have that kind of speed till maybe this year. Toure might be able to do that.
Haarberg,9-23 1 TD 1 Int
Look at the WR on white vs red. He was not throwing to our top guys. In addition to wind you must take that into account.
The point was, when AM walked into the program, he had a stellar first year as a QB. That suggests the evaluation of his abilities was pretty accurate. As a freshman, he had a better offense overall than he did in year 2 and 3. But if you want to bag an the coaches about something it wouldn’t be their evaluation of AM. It would be their development after he got here. But even then, reality is more complicated than that. The other 10 people lining up in the huddle are part of the equation as well.

I don’t believe anyone outside the program has seen enough data on Haarberg to make an evaluation. And if you are going to use Spring game completion percentage as your measuring stick, you should probably take into account the 30-40 mile an hour winds that day.

I am as prone as anyone to making rash and sometimes harsh judgments based on emotion. But sometimes it’s helpful to take a step back and take a more reasoned approach.
Agree 100%

If I had to take an uneducated wild guess, all that QB guru stuff we are putting them through may be counter-productive and may be getting in the way of natural talent.

This year will help tell the story. If your 4 year starter hasn’t learned what youre trying to teach by now, either you have suspect teachers or a suspect pupil. (Assuming an adequate o-line, an adequate RB, and some adequate players to throw to and you remain injury free - all open questions at this point.)
If one hasnt learned in 4 yrs, suspect the teachers or pupil? So in essence, this implies that all 4 yr QBs will not learn a thing once in the NFL. The definition of an "athlete" differs from one whom is athletic. The athlete is a life long learner, and never stands pat on garnering knowledge. Sure natural abilities form the upper limit one what one can do, but the only way one ever maximizes ability is through the application of knowledge plied towards it. Determining a Spring game performance as a barometer of ability for a freshman implies an incapability of knowledge uptake on the part of that freshman, and i certainly would love to have the "talent" to make such a determination.
There are no such predictive abilities in humans as learning curves are as individualized as the number of hearts beating. Athletes learn until they stop playing, but no one can say at what rate. Give these kids a chance.

One of the greatest QBs of all time threw very few passes in the air over 20 yds. His big plays were made by his WR YAC. I will always remember the 89 playoff game against the Rams. John Taylor caught 2 passes for over 90 yards. Neither pass was thrown more that 10 in the air. The key is hitting your fastest players in stride. Not sure we have that kind of speed till maybe this year. Toure might be able to do that.

Look at the WR on white vs red. He was not throwing to our top guys. In addition to wind you must take that into account.

Agree 100%
For sure.
Just had the data handy.
Spring games are what they are, but with Haarberg, you have to like what you see.
Same for Torres, likely a better version as for upside at this point.

If one hasnt learned in 4 yrs, suspect the teachers or pupil? So in essence, this implies that all 4 yr QBs will not learn a thing once in the NFL. The definition of an "athlete" differs from one whom is athletic. The athlete is a life long learner, and never stands pat on garnering knowledge. Sure natural abilities form the upper limit one what one can do, but the only way one ever maximizes ability is through the application of knowledge plied towards it. Determining a Spring game performance as a barometer of ability for a freshman implies an incapability of knowledge uptake on the part of that freshman, and i certainly would love to have the "talent" to make such a determination.
There are no such predictive abilities in humans as learning curves are as individualized as the number of hearts beating. Athletes learn until they stop playing, but no one can say at what rate. Give these kids a chance.
I'm glad Toure did all that learning last year ;)
I think Torres is starting out well,and as for coaches, did our coaches just coach better with Milton and Herbert?
Agree,I think some players learn on, and some off the field.
Off the field example ,Aaron Rodgers

MRI is pending for Monday, we'll know soon enough.
Just heard on the radio that Torres is out for the rest of the year. I'm not sure how bad or serious the injury is, but it's enough to cut short his Senior season.

Torres is our third class QB in the last 10 years to miss most of his Senior season. Darlington and AM are the others.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back