• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Punts and kickoffs

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
I suspect that many serious injuries have been avoided with the changes that have been made over the years in punt and kickoff returns. But I have to say they have really become boring. Kickoffs are only returned in the last couple of minutes of a half or if they have been kicked purposely short. Punts are returned a bit more frequently, but not often.

Maybe they should just place the ball on the 25 and forego the kickoffs completely, or have them kick from the 20 yard line. I don't now what they can do about punts except maybe require a 5 or 10 yard space from the receiver for members of the kicking team.

I do miss the excitement that used to exist on punts and kickoffs.

I suspect that many serious injuries have been avoided with the changes that have been made over the years in punt and kickoff returns. But I have to say they have really become boring. Kickoffs are only returned in the last couple of minutes of a half or if they have been kicked purposely short. Punts are returned a bit more frequently, but not often.

Maybe they should just place the ball on the 25 and forego the kickoffs completely, or have them kick from the 20 yard line. I don't now what they can do about punts except maybe require a 5 or 10 yard space from the receiver for members of the kicking team.

Agreed for the most part but every once in a while excitement does happen, see Miami vs middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Yeah, T
Agreed for the most part but every once in a while excitement does happen, see Miami vs middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Yeah they occasionally pop up and show how exciting these plays can be. But these are few and far between.

Returns do seem less common. Though 27 different players have returned punts for tds this year and 14 have returned kicks for tds. The guy from OU had punt returns of 18 and 34 against us. So it’s not totally gone.

Plus, without kickoffs we would have no onside kicks.

I was at an NFL game yesterday and I loved watching warm ups and the kicking game! It was refreshing watching physical returns. Those guys can PUNT. Damn.

They've intentionally been trying to take kickoffs out of the game. I wish they'd just go ahead and do it. Punts are less dangerous than kickoffs, and are harder to replace.

I personally like the Schiano proposal for replacing kickoffs. After a touchdown the ball is moved to the 30, you then have a 4th and 15 (or 10- which my preference). You can go for the 4th down or you can punt. Keeps an onside kick equivalent in the game, and is actually a more exciting alternative to an onside kick. Plus help reduce the player safety issues.

Think the USFL is supposed to be using this method.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back