• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pulled Pork Empanadas

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Made these this Spring at the start of my smoking season. For the filling, I brined, rubbed and smoked a Boston Butt for the pulled pork (normal recipe/method). I then fire roasted some Anaheims, Poblanos, Jalapenos and onions. I also added some Queso Blanco to the meat and chiles for the filling. Just chop the chiles/peppers and onions and fold in the Queso.

For the shell, I was lazy and just bought some ready made pie dough from the grocery store, cut the circles then filled and crimped them.

I like to fry in a large, cast-iron skillet on the stove top so I filled it with enough Canola oil to cover the empanadas and cooked at 350 until they were golden brown. Bonus, if one develops a crack or a split, the pork that comes into direct contact with the oil is bacon flavored heaven. I'll do this on purpose on a few the next time I make them.

I served them with a side of home made guacamole, home made Salsa Verde and boxed rice. The presentation was sloppy but I blame that on sirs Jameson and Guinness, they just would not leave me alone that day.

empanada1_zpsb78da2b4.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back