• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Protocols strict everywhere

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Houston has now canceled it fourth season opener because of virus. North Texas State does not have sufficient players to play at one of the positions and so must cancel. Houston and Baylor (also has had four season openers canceled) are just not having any luck, even with their protocols.

Smaller schools Simply dont have the resources to test and keep players isolated to avoid spread. When NU was discussing testing protocols and and how to negotiate the season To keep players from getting it en masse, the South Dakota State coach stated that he had no idea, he‘d have to check with the state about getting testing set up, etc.. This has happened with numerous smaller schools. liberty, IIRC had some cancellations Because they werent being proactive. You cant rely on anyone that isnt under the same regulations or scrutiny you are, and even then...monitor and verify under penalty...that’s why the conference only schedules were prescient, IMO.

B1G brass designed these protocols to stop football? Right of the bat crash 2020 season? They could thump their chests ..... "we told you so"

:Stirthepot:

Smaller schools Simply dont have the resources to test and keep players isolated to avoid spread. When NU was discussing testing protocols and and how to negotiate the season To keep players from getting it en masse, the South Dakota State coach stated that he had no idea, he‘d have to check with the state about getting testing set up, etc.. This has happened with numerous smaller schools. liberty, IIRC had some cancellations Because they werent being proactive. You cant rely on anyone that isnt under the same regulations or scrutiny you are, and even then...monitor and verify under penalty...that’s why the conference only schedules were prescient, IMO.
Yep. Going to conference only schedules was the right move. The B1G actually had a great plan in place a week before they screwed the pooch and ‘cancelled’ the season.

Houston has now canceled it fourth season opener because of virus. North Texas State does not have sufficient players to play at one of the positions and so must cancel. Houston and Baylor (also has had four season openers canceled) are just not having any luck, even with their protocols.
In a state that does not wear masks?

In a state that does not wear masks?

FWIW, Texas still has a mask mandate in place. Granted, it's still ultimately up to the individual -- and it's young people who are most likely not to care.

I've been pleasantly surprised in Austin. Early in the summer, mask wearing seemed to be minority and bars were open and packed. Then Governor Abbott actually got tough with the mask mandate and closing bars. Even today (I live on the outskirts of downtown Austin), the vast majority of people are wearing masks. And our numbers have improved considerably from where they were a couple months ago.

But ultimately, college kids are going to be college kids -- no matter what state they are in.

Also, with the University of Houston's case having four straight games cancelled, each time it's been because the opponent couldn't field a team. That's the harsh reality -- you can do everything right for your own team, but you are still at the mercy of your opponents.

Last edited:
FWIW, Texas still has a mask mandate in place. Granted, it's still ultimately up to the individual -- and it's young people who are most likely not to care.

I've been pleasantly surprised in Austin. Early in the summer, mask wearing seemed to be minority and bars were open and packed. Then Governor Abbott actually got tough with the mask mandate and closing bars. Even today (I live on the outskirts of downtown Austin), the vast majority of people are wearing masks. And our numbers have improved considerably from where they were a couple months ago.

But ultimately, college kids are going to be college kids -- no matter what state they are in.

Also, with the University of Houston's case having four straight games cancelled, each time it's been because the opponent couldn't field a team. That's the harsh reality -- you can do everything right for your own team, but you are still at the mercy of your opponents.

Thanks for bringing some accurate info.

Also, with the University of Houston's case having four straight games cancelled, each time it's been because the opponent couldn't field a team. That's the harsh reality -- you can do everything ri,just ask them.ght for your own team, but you are still at the mercy of your opponents.
College kids will be young and healthy forever HWM ,just ask them.Lol.Keep the faith.GBR.

Pretty good if people wear masks. Unfortunately, kids think they are immune to the virus. I have friends who live near Dallas and the think this whole virus issue is a joke. I can’t seem to convince them otherwise.

Country needs to have a serious discussion about PCR testing cycles and what they mean. Was even a NYTimes article about this, but it's since disappeared from discussion. Things that we're calling "cases" aren't even considered a positive test in Taiwan, for instance.

At this point we're probably over 50K college students having tested "positive" and there appear to be only 2 hospitalizations (and I'd probably want to know if they had underlying conditions that would have precipitated their hospitalization).

Country needs to have a serious discussion about PCR testing cycles and what they mean. Was even a NYTimes article about this, but it's since disappeared from discussion. Things that we're calling "cases" aren't even considered a positive test in Taiwan, for instance.

At this point we're probably over 50K college students having tested "positive" and there appear to be only 2 hospitalizations (and I'd probably want to know if they had underlying conditions that would have precipitated their hospitalization).

Yes, the whole pcr cycles issue is completely relevant. Know of a 67 year old with stents, recovered from a non-hospitalization Covid case (he was pretty darn sick, so no doubt he had it) who needs two consecutive negative tests to return to work. He ran nine miles the day he got a positive back (after first negative)... I’d be curious if he had any heart scans before he did the run.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back