• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Projecting Defensive Depth Chart

***. Is there any truth to the rumor (posters on here) that although he made big plays, he also was kind of a maverick and wasnt always assignment sound. Big fan of his but was concerned when I heard that. would love your assessment.
I don't think that is message board rumor, i believe the staff said as much this spring.
Can you send me that link? Just curious what they said.

In regard to that, I think Domann has such good football instincts that he makes plays that others can't. But it can get him in trouble from time to time when he "thinks he knows" what is going to happen. More often than not the kid is right, but when we are sub .500 we tend to latch on to the times it didn't work for him. He's basically the opposite of Alex Davis, where Davis hadn't been playing football long enough to know what was happening in front of him. He was almost "too assignment sound" if that makes sense. His job was to set the edge and he did that but would rarely make a play like Gifford or Domann have shown the ability to do while also "doing their job",

For me, if Chinander is promoting the "go make a play" and "no fear of failure" and "create turnovers" then we need to live with a mistake here or there from Domann and the other 10 guys need to pick him up in those rare instances he gets out of position.

I certainly understand your optimism, I might even share it if we had been through spring practice and had a change at an orderly fall camp with the players on this team.

BUT:
4-8
5-7
No ability to PRACTICE and integrate these kids into your system means that you will be doing that on the fly during the WINNABLE games early in the season.

That to me increase the chances of turning a winnable game (Purdue, Cincinnati or CMU even) into a loss which we cannot afford with the last five games of the season being against teams we will be 7 point or more underdogs to.

And don't forget how physically beaten up we have been at the end of the year the last several years. So what are the chances we face the last five teams on our schedule with: our starting QB from September (whomever that is), a healthy Mills and Robinson, etc. Has not happened the last two years, having the starters we needed at the end to be successful to make up for any early losses due to lack of practice in the spring.

So, I will believe it when I see it, that's what CU 2019 taught me.

GBR
Man, I feel like slitting my wrists after reading this post. Ya gotta have a little faith.

Every other team is basically in the same boat as Nebraska as far as practice time is concerned. Purdue is going into a new season with a New DC that basically has no practice with the team. So doesn't that effect them, or does that only work on Nebraska.

I guess I don't recall Nebraska being physically beaten up over the last several years at the end of the season. No more than most teams at least. Robinson was out the last couple of games last year and AM was dinged up all year but was about as healthy as he had always been at the end. But that was about it.

As Lars has said they don't have to unlearn things. Players do step up and play despite being young.

Watching college football is suppose to be fun. I am going to have a little faith and be optimistic for the season until I see otherwise.

In regard to that, I think Domann has such good football instincts that he makes plays that others can't. But it can get him in trouble from time to time when he "thinks he knows" what is going to happen. More often than not the kid is right, but when we are sub .500 we tend to latch on to the times it didn't work for him. He's basically the opposite of Alex Davis, where Davis hadn't been playing football long enough to know what was happening in front of him. He was almost "too assignment sound" if that makes sense. His job was to set the edge and he did that but would rarely make a play like Gifford or Domann have shown the ability to do while also "doing their job",

For me, if Chinander is promoting the "go make a play" and "no fear of failure" and "create turnovers" then we need to live with a mistake here or there from Domann and the other 10 guys need to pick him up in those rare instances he gets out of position.
I will try to find that link to those posters but since I’m new I might not have success. I agree totally that he has genuine football instincts and a propensity to make big plays and I love that about him. I wasn’t in any way, shape or form trying to speak badly of him because I’ve been cheering him and watching him since he came here. I don’t have the expertise you have in seeing this stuff so I just wanted your insight.

I will try to find that link to those posters but since I’m new I might not have success. I agree totally that he has genuine football instincts and a propensity to make big plays and I love that about him. I wasn’t in any way, shape or form trying to speak badly of him because I’ve been cheering him and watching him since he came here. I don’t have the expertise you have in seeing this stuff so I just wanted your insight.
Lol I believe you that posters may have said it. I was just curious if the coaches did like someone else mentioned. I can see where people would be of that opinion (even though I don't think he was doing his own thing, he was just working on making a play), I was just curious if the coaches said something about it.

Last edited:

Man, I feel like slitting my wrists after reading this post. Ya gotta have a little faith.

Every other team is basically in the same boat as Nebraska as far as practice time is concerned. Purdue is going into a new season with a New DC that basically has no practice with the team. So doesn't that effect them, or does that only work on Nebraska.

I guess I don't recall Nebraska being physically beaten up over the last several years at the end of the season. No more than most teams at least. Robinson was out the last couple of games last year and AM was dinged up all year but was about as healthy as he had always been at the end. But that was about it.

As Lars has said they don't have to unlearn things. Players do step up and play despite being young.

Watching college football is suppose to be fun. I am going to have a little faith and be optimistic for the season until I see otherwise.
I think it has a lot to do with lack of depth. Only because the depth we did have was young and inexperienced. We want to get to the point where the guys on the second string are journeymen that have played a bunch to where there might be only a small drop off in production. Frost was thinking of the future by not playing his freshmen, saving them for this year (smartly in my humble opinion) I think what we where seeing was the starters going full bore for three quarters and just running out of gas. All though I think Chinander played a bunch guys on defense last year. I wish I could find the player participation charts for last year. Anyone know where I could find that?

I don't think that is message board rumor, i believe the staff said as much this spring.
Thanks I didn’t think I was going crazy. I couldn’t find anything on the message boards (and I wouldn’t make it up believe me - I’m all about positivity when it comes to the skers) I would like to find the link (of the coaches comments) tho.

Last edited:
I certainly understand your optimism, I might even share it if we had been through spring practice and had a change at an orderly fall camp with the players on this team.

BUT:
4-8
5-7
No ability to PRACTICE and integrate these kids into your system means that you will be doing that on the fly during the WINNABLE games early in the season.

That to me increase the chances of turning a winnable game (Purdue, Cincinnati or CMU even) into a loss which we cannot afford with the last five games of the season being against teams we will be 7 point or more underdogs to.

And don't forget how physically beaten up we have been at the end of the year the last several years. So what are the chances we face the last five teams on our schedule with: our starting QB from September (whomever that is), a healthy Mills and Robinson, etc. Has not happened the last two years, having the starters we needed at the end to be successful to make up for any early losses due to lack of practice in the spring.

So, I will believe it when I see it, that's what CU 2019 taught me.

GBR

I think there are a couple of areas I believe are positives that you do not. First, we aren't alone, all teams are going to be going into a season (hopefully), without the benefit of a Spring or extensive fall camp. Second, we aren't talking about incoming freshman in most cases, we are talking about guys who have been at least a year if not two in this system, so they aren't seeing it, or hearing the terminology for the first time. Will they be rusty? Sure, as are nearly all teams the first week or two, but as long as they have been serious about their conditioning, we should be able to knock off that rust fairly quickly.

One area I feel better about this year is depth. Granted, we lost some talented players from last year on the DL, but I'd suggest we look deeper, at least on paper, than we did previously. That should help ease your concerns regarding health in the last 5 games. On the bright side, those teams will also be fielding players that might not have been starters.

CU 2019 wasn't a matter of lacking talent, it was a matter of lacking heart and confidence. Those things tend to adjust as a season moves forward. People who maybe broke mentally could either be gone, or better from the experience.

Thanks I didn’t think I was going crazy. I couldn’t find anything on the message boards (and I wouldn’t make it up believe me - I’m all about positivity when it comes to the skers) I would like to find the link (of the coaches comments) tho.

I don't have a link as it was March i believe. I think it was either SF or EC that made the comment and it wasn't terrible. I usually only read LJS and OWH articles, plus others linked to this Board's home page. That should narrow it down. :)

After reading through these posts, I am wondering if the end of the year depth chart will look different than the beginning. Would not shock me to see Cooper move forward at OLB. That seems to be a spot people are talking about.

The only discussion about the secondary was how to get Cam T.B. more time on the field. That means we are all feeling pretty good about what is happening there. Almost no discussion about DL, either.

I take it to mean a lot of "we'll see how it goes" with all of the names right now. Should be fun!

After reading through these posts, I am wondering if the end of the year depth chart will look different than the beginning. Would not shock me to see Cooper move forward at OLB. That seems to be a spot people are talking about.

The only discussion about the secondary was how to get Cam T.B. more time on the field. That means we are all feeling pretty good about what is happening there. Almost no discussion about DL, either.

I take it to mean a lot of "we'll see how it goes" with all of the names right now. Should be fun!
Without a doubt. A lot of guys that “know” the scheme may be out in front like at ILB and other spots but once others get the practice reps they could close the gap. Think of the guys that came in the spring to learn and didn’t get that luxury. If we have a first year player making the starting lineup against Purdue, that guy is a stud.

I thought he should have played more in 2019, and didn't for whatever reason. Clark showed really, really well. I think it will be up to if Fisher wants to have a guy that plays corner all the time or a nickel guy. If he's ok with Taylor-Britt playing corner then sliding to nickel, I think CTB doesn't leave the field. But if he wants a true nickel and not to be messed up going back and forth, we may see Clark start there. Fisher has options.
Yes, I love the DB room.

We should be able to weather an injury in the secondary a lot better this year, as well. We were searching for the right mix of people for quite a while after D. Williams went down last year.

Feels like we will be able to say "Next man up" at DL, as well. Yet to be seen where we will fall on the dominant <--> leaky spectrum at DL, but it at least seems that the people are there.

ILB brings back the guy that I think will be defensive MVP this year - Collin Miller - and some promising players all around him.

I thought he should have played more in 2019, and didn't for whatever reason. Clark showed really, really well. I think it will be up to if Fisher wants to have a guy that plays corner all the time or a nickel guy. If he's ok with Taylor-Britt playing corner then sliding to nickel, I think CTB doesn't leave the field. But if he wants a true nickel and not to be messed up going back and forth, we may see Clark start there. Fisher has options.

I think Taylor-Britt has a ton of potential at corner. He can play every position in the secondary and his skillset makes him extremely valuable at nickel. I'll be interested where he plays in certain packages. CTB and JoJo Domann should lead the team in snaps.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back