• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Progress

I'm trying not to make any judgements yet. Though I admit it's difficult to do so. I want 8 wins this year. It will be difficult not to make judgements two weeks from today. At half time, will be be up 21-16 like last year? Or down 0-35 like two years ago? Time will tell.
As it stands today, OSU will smoke us. I feel our D will hold them to fewer points than they've been able to muster recently, but the way our offense has played we'll be lucky to score 10-17 points on their defense. I would guess the final score will be something like 38-10.

As it stands today, OSU will smoke us. I feel our D will hold them to fewer points than they've been able to muster recently, but the way our offense has played we'll be lucky to score 10-17 points on their defense. I would guess the final score will be something like 38-10.
Lots of peeps thought the same thing last year, or even worse. We still have some work to do, but I think that we are just one solid performance away from breaking through. We are a better team overall than last year. MPO.

Lots of peeps thought the same thing last year, or even worse. We still have some work to do, but I think that we are just one solid performance away from breaking through. We are a better team overall than last year. MPO.
I was definitely surprised last year at how well we played OSU. Though I think Haskins is a much easier QB to defend against. Fields has lit the field on fire thus far and I can't see us stopping him. We aren't anywhere near OSU's talent level yet, and the play calling I've seen thus far makes me think we don't have an advantage there either. Swing pass in the endzone? That was just the worst of some very questionable play calls we've seen so far. I don't see any advantage we have at this point.

I’m just flat out happy right now. 14 pt favorites and a 36 point win! The team showed great resolve tonight, the stadium was hopping and the wave lasted a good 5 minutes. We can nit pick at things they still need to work on but I’m putting all that aside till Monday. Tonight was fun and I’m gonna enjoy it for the rest of the weekend, GBR!

I was definitely surprised last year at how well we played OSU. Though I think Haskins is a much easier QB to defend against. Fields has lit the field on fire thus far and I can't see us stopping him. We aren't anywhere near OSU's talent level yet, and the play calling I've seen thus far makes me think we don't have an advantage there either. Swing pass in the endzone? That was just the worst of some very questionable play calls we've seen so far. I don't see any advantage we have at this point.
Fair enough. I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid. It's a given, that we will have to play our best game of the past 3 years to beat OSU, but I haven't given in just yet. I don't have a white flag in my arsenal so I think we can.

Fair enough. I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid. It's a given, that we will have to play our best game of the past 3 years to beat OSU, but I haven't given in just yet. I don't have a white flag in my arsenal so I think we can.
Definitely appreciate that. I'm not waving a white flag either. After we lost last week I left my Huskers flag fly on my house all week for good luck. I suppose it worked :) I'm discouraged by the play of Martinez the last few games but also know his ceiling is so high he could bounce back at any moment. If our D plays like they have thus far, maybe they can force some TO's against OSU and give the O a chance. Anything is possible at this point. I know I'll be yelling like a crazy person either way :Biggrin:

There's been some talk on the board about wanting to see progress. I'm telling you, we're seeing it.

The game today against NIU was sloppy at times, but we still won by 36 points. We now have two wins on the season and one overtime loss. Through three games last season, we were 0-3 and had losses against Colorado, Troy(!), and a shellacking at the hands of Michigan.

In case anyone has forgotten, it took us until almost Halloween to get two wins last year.
A real measure of progress will be a road win. Even against Illinois. We keep talking OSU, but we have lost 8 in a row on the road and need to turn that corner first.

Last edited:
There has been progress each week, but sitting in the stands and being f able to see the whole field this week made me realize how many points are being left on the field. I don’t know that this was the case in the first two games because I was limited to what angles the TV crew decided to show. Add a handful of offensive yips that limited or killed drives to the guys running down the field who didn’t get the ball thrown their way and a real blowout was absolutely a possibility. Frustrating to watch the misses, but encouraging to know more points are there for the taking.

They’ll need to find a way to put more of them on the scoreboard in coming weeks to make real progress.

Last edited:
There's been some talk on the board about wanting to see progress. I'm telling you, we're seeing it.

The game today against NIU was sloppy at times, but we still won by 36 points. We now have two wins on the season and one overtime loss. Through three games last season, we were 0-3 and had losses against Colorado, Troy(!), and a shellacking at the hands of Michigan.

In case anyone has forgotten, it took us until almost Halloween to get two wins last year.
Amen.

Day by day

I saw a lot of growth. Rahmir Johnson looks like a beast. The future is bright boys and girls. Just relax and let it happen.

Yep. Carlos Davis put it well, IMO. "We are not perfect, but we are just going to keep getting better and better." That's pretty much a formula for life right there.

Tell me Vedral wasn't excited to get a chance last night!

I really think his performance helped Adrian over come some issues tonight. Hopefully he can become what Ziggy was to Adrian last year

Agree. And you can tell from his interview, he's one of the boys now. I actually think he's going to help Mo Wash and vice versa. Those guys stay healthy, and I expect good things from them this year. Mills first 100 yard game as a Husker - more to follow, I hope!

Yep. Carlos Davis put it well, IMO. "We are not perfect, but we are just going to keep getting better and better." That's pretty much a formula for life right there.

Tell me Vedral wasn't excited to get a chance last night!

I was excited for him and the program needs it. We absolutely have to cultivate the depth at the position and playing time is a big piece of that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back