• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Prime Rib

chicago husker

Da Bears
5 Year Member
I make Prime Rib (bone on) every year for Christmas and for the last few years have used the 5 minute per pound method and it turns out perfect every time.

the day before i coat the roast with worchestershire and sprinkle a good amount of kosher salt placed on a rack and leave uncovered in the fridge over night. take out of fridge at least 6 hours before cooking to bring to room temp. and coat with montreal steak seasoning.

oven temp set to 500 and cook roast for 5 minutes per pound and then turn the oven off and leave the oven door closed for 2 hours with no peeking. the roast can be sliced without resting as it has already done that in the turned off oven. perfectly done no matter the size of the roast.

Last edited:

It all sounds yummy, except the Montreal Seasoning. Never been a fan of that stuff. Maybe it's the combo of dill and coriander, I dunno, just don't care for it.

for the aus Jus I saute an onion, add carrots and celery and a can of beef consomme. simmer for 20 to 30 minutes and strain. pour broth back in pan and add 1 TBSP cornstarch and bring to boil. simple but very good and can be doubled if doing a large prime rib

I love Montreal steak seasoning, it's my favorite but I realize it isn't for everyone. I was thinking about doing a prime rib for Christmas this year but have never actually done one. Thanks for the tips, Chicago Husker!

I love Montreal steak seasoning, it's my favorite but I realize it isn't for everyone. I was thinking about doing a prime rib for Christmas this year but have never actually done one. Thanks for the tips, Chicago Husker!

your welcome and as a side tip if you remove the bone and then tie it back on it makes it a lot easier to slice when it is done. it also allows you to season the meat in between the meat and bone.

Last edited:

I will be a doing Prime Rib roast for this Christmas but I will put in my CookShack Smoker-slow cooker instead. I haven't decided if I will brine it this year or do something similar to CH but I'm looking forward to it. Love me some Prime Rib!

your welcome and as a side tip if you remove the bone and then tie it back on it makes it a lot easier to slice when it is done. it also allows you to season the meat in between the meat and bone.
I've never done a prime rib but I am now, very intrigued. I'm confused about removing the bone and tying it back on though...(yes, RDR, you can use that for the out of context thread);)

I've never done a prime rib but I am now, very intrigued. I'm confused about removing the bone and tying it back on though...(yes, RDR, you can use that for the out of context thread);)

Nothing worse than have a problem with your bone.

watch this video

I will be a doing Prime Rib roast for this Christmas but I will put in my CookShack Smoker-slow cooker instead. I haven't decided if I will brine it this year or do something similar to CH but I'm looking forward to it. Love me some Prime Rib!

I have a FEC100 and wouldn't trade it for anything. cookshack smokers are the best and i have smoked many a prime rib.

ok so now i will give you the last prime rib tip or maybe 2 tips. first if you have a temp probe pull the prime rib at 125. second if you have anyone who doesn't like the rare prime rib simply place some of the aus jus in a skillet and when hot take their slice and cook for a couple of minutes per side and it will appear medium to well done but still be tender.
oh and when pulled from the oven you don't need to let it rest because the 2 hours with the oven off is its rest period. doesn't get any easier then this.

Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:

Okay, so where is a good place to buy the meat? Would Costco be alright or is it better to get it from a butcher shop so I can chose what side of the ribs it comes from?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back