• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Premier League 2017-18

Chelsea. Lol. What a roster disaster. We literally gave away 3 academy grads who are lightyears better than the transfers we brought in.

How can a team with a spine consisting of Hazard, Courtrois, Morata, Kante, Willian, Azpi, Christensen, and Fabregas be so unspectacular? Easy, when you've erred in a couple positions so badly that it affects the entire team. Rudinger? Good signing all together. Alonso? Good signing for the money. Zappacosta? Bleh. Moses, Bakayoko, MIchy? All horrendous. And by that, I mean sooooo bad, the team can't function correctly with them screwing up constantly. Cahill? You kidding me, Clark?. He's atrocious. Luiz? Atrocious this year. Pedro? So out of position it's like he all-the-sudden can't link up with anyone. Has anyone watched Chelsea's midfield? At this point, I'm praying for Fabs, Drinkwater and Kante every game because any combination that includes Bakayoko is a loss leader. Bakayoko, if you can't tell by this point, is the worst central midfielder I've even seen get regular time in a Chelsea uniform. Now, I haven't been watching for 25 years, but there can't be many worse. Moses is almost as bad. But not quite. Has any player forgot to play defense as many times as Moses when playing fullback? Ever? Even Dani freaking Alves plays 10X better defense than Moses.

What is it with Chelsea and NOT giving their academy kids real chances? Think of the wasted money on Bakayoko when they had a better player in Loftus-Cheek already there. Ake? Chalobah, Abraham, Musonda, Traore? All just as good of opportunities to shine compared to who they've brought in. Listen, I actually like what Drinkwater brings to the roster for depth. But you can't tell me bringing in Barkley or Bakayoko trumps some of the names above. No chance.

I think teams not ready to spend like City, ManU, PSG, Real and Barca need to reconsider how they do business. You can't make a living signing a bunch of 30M transfers and expect to compete for CL spots in the EPL. You have to splurge on a couple All-World players and then develop the rest. Bayern has been quietly doing it pretty well for a couple years. It's also imperative to keep your stars once you have them. Cheaper to pay wages then pay wages + transfer fees. Chelsea wasted about 150M on players that brought them nothing more than they already had in their system. Would have made much better sense to splurge on one world-beater and one depth player and keep the rest. Now? They have no depth, no creativity, no ability to control midfield and lost many of their better youth players, though hopefully buy-back clauses can correct the massive errors that led to this sinking ship. They may be sitting in 4th, but we all saw how Watford played them even up. That wasn't a lucky game. Teams know that they can control midfield against Chelsea unless Fabs is in the lineup. It ain't going to get better unless Conte works some magic and I'm pretty sure Conte is fed up with Roman and the Chelsea board. So would I. I would have been making an exit strategy after that summer transfer window closed and it was clear this team couldn't compete in the EPL and CL with the roster he was dealt.

Last edited:

Chelsea. Lol. What a roster disaster. We literally gave away 3 academy grads who are lightyears better than the transfers we brought in.

How can a team with a spine consisting of Hazard, Courtrois, Morata, Kante, Willian, Azpi, Christensen, and Fabregas be so unspectacular? Easy, when you've erred in a couple positions so badly that it affects the entire team. Rudinger? Good signing all together. Alonso? Good signing for the money. Zappacosta? Bleh. Moses, Bakayoko, MIchy? All horrendous. And by that, I mean sooooo bad, the team can't function correctly with them screwing up constantly. Cahill? You kidding me, Clark?. He's atrocious. Luiz? Atrocious this year. Pedro? So out of position it's like he all-the-sudden can't link up with anyone. Has anyone watched Chelsea's midfield? At this point, I'm praying for Fabs, Drinkwater and Kante every game because any combination that includes Bakayoko is a loss leader. Bakayoko, if you can't tell by this point, is the worst central midfielder I've even seen get regular time in a Chelsea uniform. Now, I haven't been watching for 25 years, but there can't be many worse. Moses is almost as bad. But not quite. Has any player forgot to play defense as many times as Moses when playing fullback? Ever? Even Dani freaking Alves plays 10X better defense than Moses.

What is it with Chelsea and NOT giving their academy kids real chances? Think of the wasted money on Bakayoko when they had a better player in Loftus-Cheek already there. Ake? Chalobah, Abraham, Musonda, Traore? All just as good of opportunities to shine compared to who they've brought in. Listen, I actually like what Drinkwater brings to the roster for depth. But you can't tell me bringing in Barkley or Bakayoko trumps some of the names above. No chance.

I think teams not ready to spend like City, ManU, PSG, Real and Barca need to reconsider how they do business. You can't make a living signing a bunch of 30M transfers and expect to compete for CL spots in the EPL. You have to splurge on a couple All-World players and then develop the rest. Bayern has been quietly doing it pretty well for a couple years. It's also imperative to keep your stars once you have them. Cheaper to pay wages then pay wages + transfer fees. Chelsea wasted about 150M on players that brought them nothing more than they already had in their system. Would have made much better sense to splurge on one world-beater and one depth player and keep the rest. Now? They have no depth, no creativity, no ability to control midfield and lost many of their better youth players, though hopefully buy-back clauses can correct the massive errors that led to this sinking ship. They may be sitting in 4th, but we all saw how Watford played them even up. That wasn't a lucky game. Teams know that they can control midfield against Chelsea unless Fabs is in the lineup. It ain't going to get better unless Conte works some magic and I'm pretty sure Conte is fed up with Roman and the Chelsea board. So would I. I would have been making an exit strategy after that summer transfer window closed and it was clear this team couldn't compete in the EPL and CL with the roster he was dealt.

You could support Arsenal. Life can be worse, speaking of throwing money at a problem and not solving it.

Arsenal LOVE to throw big money at attacking players, but how many times can the same broken record play. Maybe the problem isn’t Giroud, or Sanchez, or Lacazette, or Aubameyang, or Mkhitaryan. All that attacking prowess might mean you can eviscerate a poor Everton side when you dominate possession and Ramsey and Ozil get acres of space to pick apart an overmatched side.

However, once matched with a quality team, Arsenal lacks midfield quality. They are loose with the ball and lose possession. They rarely get the ball to attackers in dangerous positions. They are forced to collapse deeper in defense and are so poor at center back and defensive midfield that conceding is almost inevitable. Against weaker competition that sits deep, Arsenal is painfully vulnerable to the country attack. How long has Cech been trying to secure his 200th clean sheet?

You hear about Arsenal in the Mahrez hunt. Great, another pretty attacking threat that will vanish against a quality side. How about central midfield? How about center back? How about fullback? Where’s the impetus to move on a Van Dijk type difference maker? Xhaka? Shite defender more often than not. Elneny? Composed but no creative quality at all. Good for making safe passes, not unlocking a quality high press. Wilshere? Has ability, but can’t stay on the pitch. Ramsey? Sloppy with the ball. Hard worker but reckless. Too eager to score goals. Gets caught upfield. Cazorla was strong in possession but he’s old and hurt.

Center back is a disaster. Koscielny is at the tail of his career. Mustafi has been hot garbage half the time. Holding is not a starter. Chambers is improving.

Bellerin has been hot and cold. Monreal solid but aging.

Where are the academy players?

Bottom line. Arsenal suck and they need to boot Wenger and try to inspire these dingbats to play with some intensity. The way they got eviscerared by City in the cup final was a disgrace. City is a machine but to get pummeled like a Championship side is inexcusable

Chelsea is both unlikable and horrendous to watch. I have no idea what Conte is doing because this looks nothing like what he's produced in stops before. At least with Fabregas in the lineup they have some semblance of an organized attack. Without him they rely on chaos to score. Seriously ugly football. So many players lack the individual skill to play a possession game. The roster is stale and doesn't mesh. They've held on to a couple players who are very subpar. Since Diego left, they have no identity and little fight. Morata is mentally weak and has no desire to force himself on the opponent, which is a bad combination on this particular team. Add to that, Roman will probably switch managers rather than purge the team. They need an Alpha-Dog attacking player and they needed one yesterday, preferably at CF or attacking mid.

Chelsea is both unlikable and horrendous to watch. I have no idea what Conte is doing because this looks nothing like what he's produced in stops before. At least with Fabregas in the lineup they have some semblance of an organized attack. Without him they rely on chaos to score. Seriously ugly football. So many players lack the individual skill to play a possession game. The roster is stale and doesn't mesh. They've held on to a couple players who are very subpar. Since Diego left, they have no identity and little fight. Morata is mentally weak and has no desire to force himself on the opponent, which is a bad combination on this particular team. Add to that, Roman will probably switch managers rather than purge the team. They need an Alpha-Dog attacking player and they needed one yesterday, preferably at CF or attacking mid.

Well, you’ve got Giroud........;)

United finished second in the final table. Champions League bound. One final match next Saturday as they face off against Chelsea in the FA Cup Final.

Oh and no Champions League for Chelsea

United finished second in the final table. Champions League bound. One final match next Saturday as they face off against Chelsea in the FA Cup Final.

Oh and no Champions League for Chelsea

Interesting end to the season for Chelsea... complete letdown in the last few games with a chance on the line for CL still, but then show something in the FA Cup, Hazard completely dominates and Mou does Mou things.

Going to be a really interesting summer for Chelsea... One of the newspapers is reporting Conte will be gone within 48 hours. Abramovich is still having Visa issues so he hasn't been able to get into the country for the last month+. Missing CL hurts a little, but it should also lead to a solid shakeup with that roster. Since they don't seem keen on leaving Batshuyai at BVB, it looks like BVB is working them for a chance at Morata instead which would be fine by me - good riddance to Morata. I expect one of Pedro or Willian to go, hopefully Pedro. Guessing Fabs probably goes. Bakayoko was a disappointment, but he did turn it around a little later on. Barkley did nothing, Drinkwater did less than nothing... might be time to call back the youngins in Kenedy and Ruben Loftus-Cheek. Then what happens to Hazard and Courtois? Guessing Hazard stays but Courtois leaves. And then they have to figure out their backline... Cahill, David Luiz, Rudiger, Azpi, Christensen all are in the running along with the 18 yo Ampadu and maybe even Miazga with his solid year.

All that rambling to say things will probably look very different next year.

Also saw they're talking about Iniesta coming to Man City as a player coach? Weird.

Interesting end to the season for Chelsea... complete letdown in the last few games with a chance on the line for CL still, but then show something in the FA Cup, Hazard completely dominates and Mou does Mou things.

Going to be a really interesting summer for Chelsea... One of the newspapers is reporting Conte will be gone within 48 hours. Abramovich is still having Visa issues so he hasn't been able to get into the country for the last month+. Missing CL hurts a little, but it should also lead to a solid shakeup with that roster. Since they don't seem keen on leaving Batshuyai at BVB, it looks like BVB is working them for a chance at Morata instead which would be fine by me - good riddance to Morata. I expect one of Pedro or Willian to go, hopefully Pedro. Guessing Fabs probably goes. Bakayoko was a disappointment, but he did turn it around a little later on. Barkley did nothing, Drinkwater did less than nothing... might be time to call back the youngins in Kenedy and Ruben Loftus-Cheek. Then what happens to Hazard and Courtois? Guessing Hazard stays but Courtois leaves. And then they have to figure out their backline... Cahill, David Luiz, Rudiger, Azpi, Christensen all are in the running along with the 18 yo Ampadu and maybe even Miazga with his solid year.

All that rambling to say things will probably look very different next year.

Also saw they're talking about Iniesta coming to Man City as a player coach? Weird.

Nice summary. Missing the CL sucks, but they weren't going to be in a position to win it anyways. I liked the effort against ManU in the FA Cup Final, but it just felt like the team was never on the same page together all season. I don't know if moving on from Conte is the right decision or not, but word is that Maruizio Sarri is a potential target for the position. Abramovich has a thing for Italians, I guess. He would definitely bring a different element to the sidelines.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back