• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Premier League 2015-16

jikastew

15 Year Member
Well boys and girls, the new season is right around the corner. Opening week is Aug 8.

Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford promoted. Bournemouth sports a stadium that seats 11,700, which is about 7000 LESS than Loftus Road. God, I would LOVE to attend a game there. You could literally hear the players yelling at each other.

I think City had the best transfer period thus far. Man U really filled their midfield well but didn't help their main issue which is defense, yet no one is talking about the lack of backline help. Now, of course, getting Schneiderlein and Schweinstiger in mid will help to some extent. Chelsea ended up doing not much after all, but the addition of Falcao could be good or bad depending on his taking of 2nd fiddle to Costa. Of course, Costa will be hurt for 1/2 the season (or suspended) so it'll probably work out just fine. For all the rumors and hand-wringing, there really weren't too many major moves this year. Granted there is some time left. Sterling was probably the biggest so far and I think City made a mistake. I think many teams did really well to fill needs without breaking the bank (expect ManU) that will improve their play, at least on paper. Back to ManU. They are officially worse than the Yankees at this point. How many times will it take for them to learn you can't add and subtract ad nauseum without affecting the team's play on the field negatively? Add to that they have a recent history of signing guys who are on the downslope of their career and you have a boatload of money spent for not equivalent returns.

Best jerseys? I'll go with Everton's Away kit. Second is Tot's away kit. They look soooo good in person compared to looking at a picture on the internet. I buy a soccer jersey every year. Mostly to be the 40 year old guy who shouldn't be wearing a jersey. I love jerseys. I'm going long sleeve this year. That Everton one will look suh-weet once it comes out. I have a feeling I'll need to preorder that one as it'll sell out immediately world-wide.

I'm not into picking winners. Obviously Chelsea, Arsenal and City should be the favorites. I'd go with City, myself. But Man U could field a contender. I think Tot may surprise. I think Everton will do better than last year. I think Aston Villa will probably surprise due to coaching but losing Delph really hurt them. If that loss hurt them, then Benteke's loss really hurts them. But guess what, despite that, I think this time proves the whole addition by subtraction thing. That brings us to Liverpool, my official darkhorse. They really weren't too far away last year. I love the loss of Sterling and it was time to move on from Stevie G. They missed on Mertens but have Sturridge back healthy and that is worth 2 or 3 wins alone. Balotelli is still there which is probably worth 2 losses alone. Lol. I love the Milner addition. I love Ibe's development. It's do or die time for Henderson. I think he's overhyped. We'll see very quickly if he can replace Gerrard. Love their defense anchored by Skrtel. Finally we come to Coutinho, who I think is a sleeping giant ready to explode, and considering he's already considered one of the best in the EPL, that's saying something.

Can't wait to watch Bournemouth. Can't wait for the first of many "fan boycotts" in Newcastle because they are probably going to suck again. But really excited to watch what Mitrovic can do. Excited to see Brady get completely underutilized in Hull again.

So many things to watch this year!

Here's to a great season for all. And to all a Chelsea repeat!

Last edited:

Got a late start watching the opening games today after needing to record them due to work.

1. Chelsea escapes with a draw playing down a man for 30+ minutes. Courtois' red card was deserved. I think Chelsea were on their way to scoring 4 or 5 so it was an early lost opportunity.

2. ManU looked listless beating a more listless Tot team. Even the announcers had to try to spruce up the game by trying to add some excitement. 10 passes and......nothing. Over and over and over again. If that is the LVG style, they can have it.

3. Currently watching Watford and Everton. It should be known I went with the long-sleeve away Everton Stones jersey this year because I love the jersey and also because Stones will be with Chelsea next year so I might as well show some support for the future move. He'll appreciate it. Anyhoo, Watford up 1-0 in the 36th minute.

On a side note, Swansea was a delight to watch even though I was rooting against them. They play forward, take chances and generally are athletic. Definitely a team whose games I'll record and watch this year.

Last edited:
I'm sure I pointed this out last year as well, but let me take a second to reiterate it.

I am soooo glad that officials are finally, consistently calling fouls in those instances when a defender blows up a ball handler under the guise of, "But I got the ball." Yeah, you got the ball. And his femur. And ribs. And skull.

Norwich has to feel a little sick after having their equalizer waived off by a questionable call. They lose.

Bournemouth can't capitalize on several first half great chances. They lose. Guzan looks to be on form after getting the clean sheet and making a couple fantastic saves. That's the start he needed.

The Backstreet Boys soccer team, otherwise known as Arsenal, loses 0-2 to West Ham.

I loved every bit of the game.

Arsenal has the same issue they had last year. Great, great midfield who are stellar in possession but can't shoot worth a damn. They literally presented themselves with 10 great looks in the first half, and I'm not sure one of them was put on goal. Giroud is vastly overrated. If it wasn't for Alexis, I'm not sure they get a shot that the opposing keeper would have to defend in 8 games this season. Honestly, if they would have gotten Benzema, I would have picked them to win the league. Hell, I could have said the same if they just would have gotten Benteke. They are so fun to watch possess the ball. Their midfield passing is intricate, skillful and inventful. Just a pleasure to watch. But, man, they shank or just miss that big net-like target with regularity. Another thing, I suppose you could call Giroud a center forward, but no one else on that team fills that role, and Giroud doesn't do the other stuff that makes true 9s valuable.

Who's our Gunners fan here? Anxious to hear their opinion.

Gunner here. Dreadful performance from Arsenal. Sometimes the beauty of their play is rivaled only by the stench of other performances.

Give credit to the Hammers. It wasn't all Arsenal stinking.

I agree with most of what you are saying. When Arsenal is really clicking, the ball is moving fast and decisively. Days like today are Ozil-itis where they try to make too many passes, almost tika-taka. Meanwhile, the hammers are sagging and clogging space while Arsenal keeps moving the ball around.

I think that Wenger has too many playmakers at central midfield. It's been that way for a while. He tries to force them all in, with one in the wing, and sometimes tactically it doesn't work. It is understandable to want to play talent like Cazorla, Ozil, Ramsey, and Wilshere, but I think sometimes it just doesn't work.

I agree about Giroud. Benzema would be a nice addition. Giroud is a nice player, but doesn't have the skill to create on his own. When the playmakers are scuffling, he's just invisible.

Cech was terrible. I think it was just a fluke.

Same old early form Arsenal.

Gunner here. Dreadful performance from Arsenal. Sometimes the beauty of their play is rivaled only by the stench of other performances.

Give credit to the Hammers. It wasn't all Arsenal stinking.

I agree with most of what you are saying. When Arsenal is really clicking, the ball is moving fast and decisively. Days like today are Ozil-itis where they try to make too many passes, almost tika-taka. Meanwhile, the hammers are sagging and clogging space while Arsenal keeps moving the ball around.

I think that Wenger has too many playmakers at central midfield. It's been that way for a while. He tries to force them all in, with one in the wing, and sometimes tactically it doesn't work. It is understandable to want to play talent like Cazorla, Ozil, Ramsey, and Wilshere, but I think sometimes it just doesn't work.

I agree about Giroud. Benzema would be a nice addition. Giroud is a nice player, but doesn't have the skill to create on his own. When the playmakers are scuffling, he's just invisible.

Cech was terrible. I think it was just a fluke.

Same old early form Arsenal.

You will be very happy with Cech before the year is over. Unless he's just too old to play everyday.

I agree. I think his performance today was just a fluke.

That second goal was embarrassing. I think he was screened by Kocielny.

I think if Benzema comes over that Arsenal will be competitive for the Champions league as well

Ozil-itis was a good term.

Arsenal plays their best football when they are countering in space. They have the pace and the talent to be ruthless in counter attack, but you have to be aggressive. Most teams will play a sagging midfield and back line to against them to clog space and just cede possession. The Hammers did that all day today. If you don't make decisive decisions with the football, it just allows the midfield to sag down and clog up the passing and shooting lanes and then it becomes a game of cross after cross.

Ozil tries too hard to make the perfect, dazzling play. With the pace provided by guys like Chamberlain, Walcott, and Sanchez, there will be ample space, but he is so calculated with the ball that it really slows things down and allows the opposition to fill space. It's like a point guard that is always looking for the Sportscaster highlight pass rather than keeping the ball moving and pressuring the defense. Plus, he is dispossessed of the ball way too easily.

He's too much side to side and not enough up the pitch.

Frustrating to watch. Brilliant at times.

I would rather see Cazorla at the 10. He's much better in possession and has an aggressive instinct. Ramsey and Wilshere (when healthy) are best as a deep lying playmakers. They at least provide some disruptive defensive effort in front of Coquelin. Cazorla is comical defensively.

I'm just out of patience with Ozil.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back