• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Predicting 8 or less wins

Ok, I think it will take a 10 win season for any of you to believe it can happen again.

I sorta believe we have just as much chance of a 6 win season as we do a 10.

The unknowns are many and which way it goes depends on these unknowns.

Nebraska was just about 30 penalties away from Winning 8 last year. ( we have short memories)

I think us as fans will always look at doom because let’s face it. Looking any other way has not been easy in our stress level.

I want to think we can be a 8+ team, but I am not smart enough to see why we can or why we can’t. (The people who do this as a living are split as well)

Bring it to the field! GBR!

I think SF will get us to the 9 win plateau fairly quickly. Then he will slowly build from there. much like Dabo built Clemson. it took him a few years to get to 10+ but has not fallen back since. We were so far down that it will take time to crawl back up. Once any team gets back to 10+ the recruits will come then you build the top teams.
9 or 10 wins gets the attention of recruits and a dynamic offense gets the attention of Bowl officials who are dying to get Nebraska back where they belong.

Ahh. Minny will be a decent team this year, IMO.

So as a side note, I had my first semi negative conversation about Nebraska since Frost was hired with a Co-worker who is a Purdue grad. He basically said Frost will get Nebraska back to the dreaded '9 win plateau' and nothing more, because the 'brand' is no longer relevant to the kind of kids who'll take the team to the 10+ win level and the playoff level. His stance is Nebraska is now basically Purdue. While I agree recent struggles and lack of high level success makes the coaches jobs recruiting that much more difficult that Nebraska's last conference title was....gulp....twenty years ago, its not impossible. Win 8 (or more) this year and you can sell 'return to greatness'. Improve again in 2020 and it's an even easier sell.

I'll gloat quietly.
If he's saying that about a storied program like Nebraska, did you ask him where he thinks Brohm is taking his favorite team and their "brand?" Lol.

Purdue fans are funny little buggers

I think SF will get us to the 9 win plateau fairly quickly. Then he will slowly build from there. much like Dabo built Clemson. it took him a few years to get to 10+ but has not fallen back since. We were so far down that it will take time to crawl back up. Once any team gets back to 10+ the recruits will come then you build the top teams.
I hope people realize that it's very likely we're going to have great years and not-so-great years. It's unlikely that Frost (or any coach) can go on an Osborne-like run where he never fell below 9 wins. It's not realistic to expect that.

If he's saying that about a storied program like Nebraska, did you ask him where he thinks Brohm is taking his favorite team and their "brand?" Lol.

Purdue fans are funny little buggers

There brand hasn't been much since shortly after Bob Griese graduated, so there is that.

So as a side note, I had my first semi negative conversation about Nebraska since Frost was hired with a Co-worker who is a Purdue grad. He basically said Frost will get Nebraska back to the dreaded '9 win plateau' and nothing more, because the 'brand' is no longer relevant to the kind of kids who'll take the team to the 10+ win level and the playoff level. His stance is Nebraska is now basically Purdue. While I agree recent struggles and lack of high level success makes the coaches jobs recruiting that much more difficult that Nebraska's last conference title was....gulp....twenty years ago, its not impossible. Win 8 (or more) this year and you can sell 'return to greatness'. Improve again in 2020 and it's an even easier sell.

I'll gloat quietly.

A negative conversation with a Purdue grad? That's all you need to say. Shows the difference in the two programs.

Lots of good discussion here but I am keeping in mind that last year's 4-8 HUSKER team went thru some head scratching moments which started with the first game of the season being canceled. The schedule is nowhere near as tough as it was in 2018 and while the injury bug could bite the HUSKERS hard if Martinez goes down, I still believe the HUSKERS will win 9 or 10 games. I think Pop Corn said it best, there is a definite attitude change going on with this team and the positives which result from that will certainly be enjoyable to watch. Who knows for sure how many games they will win but having said that, the HUSKER future is as bright as it has been in many years in my opinion. Put me down for at least 9 plus wins.

8 wins seems about right. But if we beat Ohio St, then I'm definitely chugging Kool Aid and predicting an undefeated season lol.

Side note: I hope we punish Northern Illinois 56-0 for 2017.

More likely 7 or 6.
expecting 6-7.
If we win less than 8 games, this year will be another failure as far as I can see it. If we only win 6 games(barring season ending injuries to key players such as AM) then something is really, really wrong imho. 8 - 4 seems to me to be the minimum or worst record we will have this year.

Ahh. Minny will be a decent team this year, IMO.

I'll gloat quietly.

Interesting take by your Purdue grad Co-worker. Nebraska is basically Purdue? Purdue would kill to consistently win 9 games a year. I don't know if Nebraska stays at a 9 win plateau, but I like Nebraska's chances to consistently be at the top of the B1G West. You have to win the west first or you don't have a shot at winning the conference and if you don't win the conference your chances of making the playoffs are pretty low.

It is more difficult for Nebraska to be really good now. He is right about that, but it is not impossible. It just takes the right coach, which I think we have, and getting things going in the right direction.

Brohm is the one that will Plateau. He will never get the top end recruits to really get things turned around. He has went 6-6 2 years in a row, is he going to get to 8-9 wins or is he going to be the guy that wins 7 games a year and knocks off a really good team each year. He is a good coach, but is Purdue really committed to being elite? Nebraska is committed to being elite. I don't know if they get there but they are trying. Right now there are only about 3-4 truely elite teams, and you know who they are.

As far as the original OP is concerned I think they go 8-4 and I think with a good shot at winning a decent bowl game. I would be ecstatic with that outcome. I say 8-4 because it is a reasonable expectation. They will stumble somewhere. I just don't know where. I look at the schedule and can truly say that I don't see a sure loss. They could win more, but I don't think they lose more than 4 games.

Was watching the PSU/Wisconsin B1G Championship game from 2016 yesterday on the 60 minute loop on BTN. PSU had an average defense that could generate a few sacks a game. They had an average offensive line. McSorley was running for his life all the time in that game. But they had a great RB, a great college QB and a couple of pretty good receivers. They also really believed in themselves and really had a will to win.

They were dead in the water at 4-2 earlier in the year. They had a beat down to Michigan that looked similar to Nebraska's last year. They were a couple of lucky breaks from losing to Minnesota and being 3-3. Then they beat OSU and the whole season changes. Not saying that will happen with Nebraska, but it does give me a lot of hope.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back