• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Predicting 8 or less wins

Rednu

Recruit
5 Year Member
I am in the bunch that needs to see it on the field. I really don’t have a strong argument against why we can’t reach 9+ wins.

What is yours?

I can’t think of a reason we’re that much better than last year. 8 wins max. More likely 7 or 6.

I can’t think of a reason we’re that much better than last year. 8 wins max. More likely 7 or 6.
The players have a year in the system for one.The S and C program is been sold as much better. The players are more mature,and our depth at a number of positions are upgraded.There are reasons to be optimistic,but you are right about showing it on the field.Keep the faith.GBR.

- RB situation not looking good
- OL meh
- LBs ???
- QB depth questionable
- Secondary also ???

Attachments

• Eeyore-Quotes-20.jpg
    Eeyore-Quotes-20.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Our field goal kicker made a huge improvment during the last half of the season. We will need him to carry that forward since I suspect a lot of our games will be close. Our QB position is much better than last year, particularly in its depth. We have holes, particularly in depth; we really do not want injuries to key players. And most important, I think a couple of teams in our division have made big strides during the past couple of years. I'm thinking of Purdue and Minnesota. Wisconsin and Iowa have not fallen off and I simply do not understand how Northwetern keeps pulling out all the victories they do -- but they do. Eight will be very hard to get to. No injuries and elimination of penalties and giveaways and we have a chance. Anything beyond that at this point seems a bit optimistic.

Last edited:

We played like 8-4 team 2nd half of LY.
This is a good point. We didn't play like national championship contenders, but the team was clearly better at the end of the season. November Nebraska would have probably picked up at least 3-4 more victories. Now consider that the schedule is more favorable, and we've had a full additional offseason with a great coaching staff.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but we should get to at least 8-4 barring something weird.

This is a good point. We didn't play like national championship contenders, but the team was clearly better at the end of the season. November Nebraska would have probably picked up at least 3-4 more victories. Now consider that the schedule is more favorable, and we've had a full additional offseason with a great coaching staff.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but we should get to at least 8-4 barring something weird.
I agree with the extra factors you cite too. That makes me really comfortable saying 8. There may even be an argument for another win or so, or looking at the the teams on the schedule, to realize there isn't anyone we can't beat.

But it seems to me claiming more than 8 is just a fool's errand. This team is still in a state of rapid change in response to Frost's arrival, so trying to judge the slope of the "improvement" line is just really hard to do. It seems to me to be more speculation than analysis.

Of course after week 2 or definitely after week 5 it's entirely possible we'll see that the team is greatly improved due to strong coaching and we're off to the races, maybe finishing with 10 wins regular season. That's my secret (well, I guess not anymore) dream. If that happens - even if it's only a shadow of the UCF run - I think a lot of analysts will be increasing the value of coefficient FF* when they talk about Nebraska.

* Frost Factor.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back