• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Predicting 8 or less wins

The Ohio State game was truly the only time I was impressed last season.

Regardless, 8 wins is a reasonable marker for this season, for reasons I previously outlined in a thread much like this one.
Well, OSU was by far the best team we faced in the 2nd half, so showing that we stretched with them as far as we did showed a lot. But it's also true any 8 win season has lots of wins against mediocre teams in it. Have to give the team credit for bringing home the easier wins as well. Only have to compare to the first half to see those can't be taken for granted.

What I'm really trying to say, HWM, is that my reasons for predicting 8 wins are way better than your reasons (and Thill's by the way) for predicting 8 wins. I'm going to bookmark this page so when we finish 8-4 I can say, "See, I was right." ;)

Last edited:

I can see us winning 8 games regular season. I will not be surprised if we win 10 with a bowl game for the 10th win. Anything more of course, is icing on the cake.

Are you all basing your 8 wins or less on getting burned over and over or is there something that you JUST think we are so far off on it’s not possible for 9+ wins?

Are you all basing your 8 wins or less on getting burned over and over or is there something that you JUST think we are so far off on it’s not possible for 9+ wins?

Even with a more favorable home schedule, I just think there is too much parity in the West and too many games on the slate which could go either way to expect a 5+ win improvement in the regular season. It's possible, and this staff did it twice in a row at UCF, but improving by 5-6 games in one season is very difficult and unlikely. It's more difficult in a conference like the Big Ten. I think a jump to 8-4 is a lot more probable and represents very good improvement. I think we might be in that range for a couple of years until we have more experience in the systems and more depth of talent. I look forward to seeing the last couple of classes as upperclassmen.

I’m going with the unders. I think we have the talent of a 10 win team, but the depth of a 4 win team. Adversity will strike at some point this season, just like it does for every single team out there. Once we have the depth to be able to step in if/when a starter goes down for a few snaps, or longer, I think we’ll see ourselves get into the 9+ win category on a consistent basis.

The only thing I am certain of is that the season record will be between 0-12 and12-0 ---- however:
1. I am a dyed in the wool Husker fan.
2. I am an eternal optimist.
3. I love Kool-Aid --- the RED kind.

Therefore I've got to believe that this season will yield a record that most Husker fans will be proud of because of one simple characteristic that is more evident now than nearly the last 20 years --- ATTITUDE! I think this team will go into every game BELIEVING they will win. So to keep my expectations in check I will prepare for the worse (6-6) and hope for the best (10-2) and go absolutely nuts if it ends in either extreme.

Well be real underdog to oh st, talent wise. but the 4 other games we have as tossup,..
Wisc, Iowa NW, MN,.
.we will win 2 of those 4 games to go 9-3. This of course is predicated on Martinez playing all 12 games

We played like 8-4 team 2nd half of LY.

Agree with this.

The team finished like a team that could compete in any game, has another off season in the weight room and another year with the coaches under their belt as well. The schedule is also another reason I'm optimistic NU will be at worst bowl eligible.

Minnesota must have been impressive since so many on here think they have the greatest coach ever.

I haven't heard anyone say that. I've heard most say Fleck is a weirdo, but the change in DC and play calling the second half of the season made for a pretty good football team. I do think they'll be above .500 this year and not an easy out.

I haven't heard anyone say that. I've heard most say Fleck is a weirdo, but the change in DC and play calling the second half of the season made for a pretty good football team. I do think they'll be above .500 this year and not an easy out.
Was directed at a couple folks. they will know it when they see it.

Was directed at a couple folks. they will know it when they see it.

Ahh. Minny will be a decent team this year, IMO.

So as a side note, I had my first semi negative conversation about Nebraska since Frost was hired with a Co-worker who is a Purdue grad. He basically said Frost will get Nebraska back to the dreaded '9 win plateau' and nothing more, because the 'brand' is no longer relevant to the kind of kids who'll take the team to the 10+ win level and the playoff level. His stance is Nebraska is now basically Purdue. While I agree recent struggles and lack of high level success makes the coaches jobs recruiting that much more difficult that Nebraska's last conference title was....gulp....twenty years ago, its not impossible. Win 8 (or more) this year and you can sell 'return to greatness'. Improve again in 2020 and it's an even easier sell.

I'll gloat quietly.

Ahh. Minny will be a decent team this year, IMO.

So as a side note, I had my first semi negative conversation about Nebraska since Frost was hired with a Co-worker who is a Purdue grad. He basically said Frost will get Nebraska back to the dreaded '9 win plateau' and nothing more, because the 'brand' is no longer relevant to the kind of kids who'll take the team to the 10+ win level and the playoff level. His stance is Nebraska is now basically Purdue. While I agree recent struggles and lack of high level success makes the coaches jobs recruiting that much more difficult that Nebraska's last conference title was....gulp....twenty years ago, its not impossible. Win 8 (or more) this year and you can sell 'return to greatness'. Improve again in 2020 and it's an even easier sell.

I'll gloat quietly.
I think SF will get us to the 9 win plateau fairly quickly. Then he will slowly build from there. much like Dabo built Clemson. it took him a few years to get to 10+ but has not fallen back since. We were so far down that it will take time to crawl back up. Once any team gets back to 10+ the recruits will come then you build the top teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back