• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Prayer request

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskerdinie

Recruit
5 Year Member
My father, who turns 84 next Wednesday, was diagnosed earlier this year with MDS, a group of blood and bone marrow disorders. Typically, this results in fewer red and white blood cells and fewer platelets. He had one session of chemotherapy and has had multiple blood transfusions during the last six months. Unfortunately, nothing has worked, and he now has terminal leukemia. We are looking into either Tabitha or Ascera Hospice programs and will make a final decision before he is released from the hospital tomorrow. He has not been given a definite time frame, and the decision has been made for no extraordinary measures; just pallative care. He may decline quickly depending on how well he can fight off infections, which will not be easy during this time of year plus he basically has no immune system left.

My mother and sister, who live at home with my father, need all the prayers they can get. I live an hour away, and will only be able to make the trip on my days off, so I imagine I will be making quite a few trips into Lincoln in the coming months to help them however I can, but would appreciate the prayers.

Sure sorry dinie, hope your father passes peacefully. May the Lord help you and yours through these difficult times and bring peace to the suffering.

Thanks. Both of my brothers will be here next week for Dad's birthday - one from New Jersey the other from Kansas, so at least we will all have a chance to have one last 'family meeting', which if you knew my dad you would know it will be a hoot. The man is so organized, it is not even funny. He has had his funeral planned and paid for since the early 90's (not to mention his headstone is paid for and already in place) and we really have nothing to do except be together and support mom. If I know my dad, he will spend the meeting telling us all we should do the same. Actually, he has to figure out his pallbearers, since everyone he had on his list back in 1990 has since passed away themselves!

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family in these hard times. I understand how difficult it is to see someone you love suffer from a disease. May the Lord comfort you and make his life easier.

You and your family are in my prayers.

May God grant you His peace in this season of Advent -- the coming of our King, Jesus. May He come quietly and peacefully as He carries your father home to be with Him. I pray also for a celebration as this family gathers together for their dad's birthday and this Christmas time. In Your most holy name we pray. Amen.

Rev.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. May God comfort you and guide you during this time.

My prayers for all of you. Sounds like a wonderful man who has prepared his family well for his departure.

Prayers for strength to your family in these challenging times and a horizon of renewed hope. May God's love heal and comfort.

Cherish the time you have left with him, Dinie. My prayers are for you and your family.

Thank you all. Dad is home now and we are all set for the family meeting next week. I will pass along everyone's prayers.

Thoughts and prayers. When my father was dying the one thing I didn't do was record the stories. If you haven't yet, sit down with him and record the stories. His stories, the family stories.

Thoughts and prayers. When my father was dying the one thing I didn't do was record the stories. If you haven't yet, sit down with him and record the stories. His stories, the family stories.

Actually, that is one thing that we have been working on. My dad and I have spent the last 10 years working on genealogy projects, including recording the stories-usually in written form, but we have been working on trying to figure out how to include video and audio files to our computer genealogy files. We regretted not getting some of those down while my grandparents were alive, so we want to make sure the next generations have actual audio/visual stories to go along with written letters. I would certainly encourage everyone to do this if they are at all interested in genealogy (some people just aren't that into it).

Dad was moved to Tabitha Hospice this afternoon. We are hopeful he will make it to the New Year, but things are not looking good. Everyone was here today to wish him a happy birthday and we had many discussions with mom on what comes next. Keep her in your prayers, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back