• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Practice Football Fields - Replacing FT with Grass

If the long term goal is to replace the Stafium Field Turf with grass, I’d be good with that.

I do think Field Turf is vastly improved from the concrete like astroturf from my era, but it’s still harder than natural grass and hit as hell.
Yeah, and a frozen grass field is as hard as concrete, but we don't play any games here in November, right?

All new modern grass fields have geothermal sub grade heat.

Also the king of weather you’re talking about is December and January. November is still up and Dian in Nebraska.
Like Lambeau Field. Frozen grass field = ancient history.

Also, Aviva stadium in Dublin. Used to be fake surface but not anymore.

dfff882d-92d8-4b14-986c-b32e00df2408.jpg

Pleasing the senses !!!!

Aviva_Stadium%2C_American_football_pitch_dimensions.jpg

Last edited:

Could it be this is the reason?

Yep ....
Grass-like blades and the backing of artificial turf contain the highly toxic fluorinated chemicals. Exposed to chemicals in turf either from touching or swallowing the crumbled rubber pellets that make up the backing, or possibly from breathing chemicals that off-gas into the air

vs. real grass ...

Last edited:
https://thespun.com/.amp/college-football/look-big-ten-football-stadium-getting-a-heated-field

Interesting story about Wisconsin.

I heard Sean Callahan say on Wednesday’s podcast for Husker Online that one huge obstacle for NU installing grass at Memorial Stadium is the 6 high school state championship football games. He basically stated that a grass field would never put up with that kind of punishment late in the season. He also cited Northwestern’s stadium as an example last year of a field that looked terrible by the end of the season. Grass can become a safety issue as well.

https://thespun.com/.amp/college-football/look-big-ten-football-stadium-getting-a-heated-field

I heard Sean Callahan say on Wednesday’s podcast for Husker Online that one huge obstacle for NU installing grass at Memorial Stadium is the 6 high school state championship football games. He basically stated that a grass field would never put up with that kind of punishment late in the season. He also cited Northwestern’s stadium as an example last year of a field that looked terrible by the end of the season. Grass can become a safety issue as well.
Grass when not done correctly, can definitely be worse than just going with turf.

I remember when Cincinnati's Paul Brown Stadium was built, they had years of issues with the grass. It tore up easily and resulted in a bad playing surface.

The Tennessee Titans are experiencing the same thing at Nissan Stadium in Nashville. Tennessee State and the Titans use the stadium and the field is often a mess. They've not held the high school state championships there because of the wear and tear it would do to the field. The Titans have proposed a new turf stadium, and there is already talk of moving the high school state championship there.

Going to grass isn't a simple solution on its own.

Grass when not done correctly, can definitely be worse than just going with turf.

I remember when Cincinnati's Paul Brown Stadium was built, they had years of issues with the grass. It tore up easily and resulted in a bad playing surface.

The Tennessee Titans are experiencing the same thing at Nissan Stadium in Nashville. Tennessee State and the Titans use the stadium and the field is often a mess. They've not held the high school state championships there because of the wear and tear it would do to the field. The Titans have proposed a new turf stadium, and there is already talk of moving the high school state championship there.

Going to grass isn't a simple solution on its own.

Just ask the Chiefs and Eagles in the last Super Bowl. :thumbsup:

5381d231acd5a4384fdf188599c985f3

Laughable, utterly and fantastically laughable:
“What pushed this over the edge for us was the potential of hosting Playoff games in Camp Randall in December,” said Wisconsin's senior associate athletic director Jason King.

The stadiums cost so much to build and maintain that using them for concerts and special events (see the NU Volleyball classic e.g.) has become a must. I don't see how either kind of field can withstand the multi use operations.

Last edited:

The stadiums cost so much to build and maintain that using them for concerts and special events (see the NU Volleyball classic e.g.) has become a must. I don't see how either kind of field can withstand the multi use operations.
To my knowledge, Memorial Stadium hasn't been used for much else, until recently. A lot of professional stadiums get used for concerts and other major events, but it seems like a lot of college stadiums aren't used for the same.

Memorial Stadium had the Garth Brooks concert in 2021, before that you had Larry the Cable Guy in 2009. Last musical performance before Brooks was Farm Aid III in 1987. (https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/garth-brooks-performing-at-memorial-stadium-aug-14/)

Memorial Stadium hosts the high school football championships, but it really isn't used for much else. Would be smart to try and utilize it for more, if you have the turf.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back