• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Practice Football Fields - Replacing FT with Grass

Positively RED

Ite Magna Coccinea
5 Year Member
I just saw this! Very interesting! This raises a lot of questions about when NU might replace the stadiums Field Turf. I think it was just done before the 2022 season. The cost of the practice fields replacement alone has got to be pretty hefty.
IMG_3379.jpeg
IMG_3380.jpeg
IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3383.jpeg

Why are they doing this? Don't they play almost all of their games on turf fields, not grass ones? in addition, I've always assumed, maybe erroneously, that mantainence of grass fields is more expensive than of turf fields.

B1G schools with grass fields - PSU (Beaver Stadium), Iowa (Kinnick Stadium), MSU (Spartan Stadium), NW (Ryan Field) and Purdue (Ross-Ade Stadium)

B1G schools with grass fields - PSU (Beaver Stadium), Iowa (Kinnick Stadium), MSU (Spartan Stadium), NW (Ryan Field) and Purdue (Ross-Ade Stadium)
3 every year conference opponents automatically makes it worth it IMO. Having a grass and field turf to practice on for games makes unbelievable sense and I can't believe we didn't already do it. Well done Rhule/Alberts.

and elite schools like OU, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, USC, Vols, LSU, TCU, etc., etc., etc. How about tOSU? ..... schedule '24-'25 off-season, will replace from crappy Field Turf surface to natural grass.

NFL, majority of real grass surface like Arrowhead, Mile High, Lambeau Field, Soldiers and some more. Same thing as MLB.

+85% players agree. Nice odor, softer, cooler, less injuries

Even indoor stadiums ....
untitled-39-of-147.jpg

tlc.university-of-phoenix-stadium-glendale-turf-super-bowl-xlix.png

The-Secrets-of-Selling-Like-a-Skeazy-Slimy-Used-Car-Salesman.jpg

FieldTurf salesman !!

1683116663647.jpeg
:Lol::Lol::Lol:

Last edited:

If the long term goal is to replace the Stafium Field Turf with grass, I’d be good with that.

I do think Field Turf is vastly improved from the concrete like astroturf from my era, but it’s still harder than natural grass and hit as hell.
And hotter surface
  • FieldTurf: reflect sun
  • Grass: absorbed sun
Surface temperatures of artificial grass are about 20-50° F higher than natural grass.

2016-alm-naturalgrass-vs-artificial-surface-temps-hongkong.jpg

Last edited:

3 every year conference opponents automatically makes it worth it IMO. Having a grass and field turf to practice on for games makes unbelievable sense and I can't believe we didn't already do it. Well done Rhule/Alberts.
Clarification- We already had a grass practice field. There were two outdoor practice fields, one that was turf and one that was grass. Now they are taking out the turf field so we will have two grass. That said, the indoor practice facility should still be turf, which would still provide you with that field to practice on some to prep for turf fields.

Something else to keep in mind is that the plans for the new football facility appear to have an additional partial practice field that butts up to the complex (see below). I wonder if the plan is for that partial outdoor field to be turf and they opted to put in grass on this field because there wasn't a reason to have that many turf fields to use.

736AGETUBJPKTNTVBCRLLZ3SOM.jpg

My assumption is that this is for player safety and to reduce wear and tear on the bodies in practice. If we are doing more tackling in practice, grass certainly will provide less wear on the body than turf will.

They did just redo the turf in Memorial and we had debated whether or not they would go away from turf when they did that. I'd say we are close to 10 years out on making that decision again, since the turf we do have is new.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back