• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Practice doesn’t make perfect

Voice Of Reason

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Perfect practice makes perfect.

Frost has said he doesn’t stop practice to correct players’ mistakes because it takes too much time and would cut down on the number of reps they could get.

My question is what good are a lot of reps if they are doing it wrong?

Seems to me the proof is in the pudding.

I know Frost is a very good coach and knows what he is doing but I believe in the old saying that if what you are doing isn’t getting the results you want then you should change what you are doing.

He's also said that they do correct and teach during practice and if you've ever watched any of the videos that came out during spring and fall camp you would have seen some of that.

There’s a time for teaching and correction, but not during an offensive hyper drive, when repetitions come in bursts fast enough to induce a sort of football tunnel vision.
“Everyone’s flying around,” sophomore wide receiver JD Spielman said. “You’re running play after play after play. There’s no rest time in between the plays or anything. That’s basically the biggest difference between both practices (now and in past years).”

He's also said that they do correct and teach during practice and if you've ever watched any of the videos that came out during spring and fall camp you would have seen some of that.
I never heard him say that and I never noticed him correcting anyone while they were doing their reps. But if you say so then OK. Why do you think they keep making so many mistakes during the games?

I never heard him say that and I never noticed him correcting anyone while they were doing their reps. But if you say so then OK. Why do you think they keep making so many mistakes during the games?
Because they suck right now. I don't think they stop practice and break down in detail every mistake that is made, but I know they correct mistakes in practice. I'm also not saying that what the staff is doing is perfect, but these weird half truth narratives that start and float around are definitely not helping.

Because they suck right now. I don't think they stop practice and break down in detail every mistake that is made, but I know they correct mistakes in practice. I'm also not saying that what the staff is doing is perfect, but these weird half truth narratives that start and float around are definitely not helping.
Well at least some of us are trying to be helpful instead of just being critical of every idea someone comes up with and saying our team sucks. Do you really think that is helpful?

Well at least some of us are trying to be helpful instead of just being critical of every idea someone comes up with and saying our team sucks. Do you really think that is helpful?
You should email your ideas to Scott Frost then. I dont think he'll read them here.

You know SF is doing many things differently and given the results so far...he should be re-looking at all of them. Folks here have already mentioned morning practices, this thread is about practice processes, and SF has developed and uses unique "warm up" processes as well. His red zone play-calling has been pretty unique also. Maybe every other coach in the country doesn't have all of these things wrong? Innovation is great, when it solves a problem or gives you an edge...but sometimes, it can be a waste of time.

Last edited:
Oh, but he does...
Welcome to the discussion glad you could make it.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Frost has said he doesn’t stop practice to correct players’ mistakes because it takes too much time and would cut down on the number of reps they could get.

My question is what good are a lot of reps if they are doing it wrong?

Seems to me the proof is in the pudding.

I know Frost is a very good coach and knows what he is doing but I believe in the old saying that if what you are doing isn’t getting the results you want then you should change what you are doing.
I believe he learned this while with Chip Kelley. Seems to work for him (and yes, even at UCLA where they are starting to show signs of a pulse).

Steel sharpens steel.

Not sure our offense OR defense could be considered steel?

So..........maybe they are only as good as what they are able to practice against?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back