• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Power I and read option

Sofa King

Recruit
2 Year Member
After having this formation shelved the past few weeks, will it re-appear Saturday?
IMHO, DONU would likely be VERY successful with it against Wiscy. Recall the success that Osborne and Nebraska had running FB and power against 3-4 or 5-2 teams back in the day.
My only concern is that, without a healthy Wandale, we may not have a capable tailback.

Unfortunately we don't have the Power up front to run the Power I with this team. The way to beat Wisconsin is misdirection, several big plays to keep them from loading the box and just solid execution on offense every play.

You almost have to score on every drive as they eat clock on their offensive possessions.

If we get some stops on D we have a fighters chance as we are a faster team than their defense. They are a solid well disciplined team that usually won't beat themselves but just like Iowa typically they keep the scoring low playing not to lose.

After having this formation shelved the past few weeks, will it re-appear Saturday?
IMHO, DONU would likely be VERY successful with it against Wiscy. Recall the success that Osborne and Nebraska had running FB and power against 3-4 or 5-2 teams back in the day.
My only concern is that, without a healthy Wandale, we may not have a capable tailback.

Just give it to Mills 50 times and we’ll blow them out. Or something.

Unfortunately we don't have the Power up front to run the Power I with this team. The way to beat Wisconsin is misdirection, several big plays to keep them from loading the box and just solid execution on offense every play.

You almost have to score on every drive as they eat clock on their offensive possessions.

If we get some stops on D we have a fighters chance as we are a faster team than their defense. They are a solid well disciplined team that usually won't beat themselves but just like Iowa typically they keep the scoring low playing not to lose.
Yes yes and yes. Add a running threat from AM (I truly believe he has to carry the rock 12-15 times in this game) to that solution, and I'm in total agreement.

Last edited:

I know we’re missing something...... maybe.....give me a second......

Ohhhhhh yeah....to eliminate our other glaring weakness, we just run Wildcat all day. Direct snaps from Wegener to Mills to cut out the middle man.

I could see a series with some I-formation or double wing, but this tiger isn't going to change its stripes mid-season. At its core, this offense relies on big plays and the ability to score a crap-ton of points, pressuring the other team's offense to keep up.

How'za bout we just let Scott Frost run 'HIS' offense and stop trying to live in the past, how novel would that be. :thumbsup:

Well, we'll see.
HCSF has said that he'd like to make some Power I read option a permanent part of "his offense".
It worked pretty well for a series against tOSU and their D-Line is better than Wiscy's. Additionally and as stated above, HCSF's mentor was pretty good at scheming the FB against a 5-2 (3-4) front.
My guess is that you'll see this for more than one series Saturday...provided we don't get our asses thoroughly kicked again before it can be put to good use.

Clearly we should line up in the wing-bone and let McCaffrey be the QB since he grew up near Air Force. Mills can play fullback.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back