• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Power I and read option

not sure how interested I am to see Robinson lead block, take the FB dive, pitch back to himself, option off the the DE, get smoked while option pitching to himself, then beating the safety who wasn't blocked to the edge. Although he still might score on the play and I'll cheer until I pass out.

Vedral at QB, Mills at FB, and Martinez at I would give you a good inside-out option attack. Maybe even an option to halfback pass or QB throwback off play-action. Martinez knows how to run sidelines and Mills knows the area between the tackles.

Another strong option would be re-number Jurgens to play FB as a lead blocker. He has the skills to be a runningback if you followed his high school career at Beatrice. A guy like Wilson is actually pretty quick off the ball, too, but his ball carrying may not be wise. Mills at I. Martinez, Vedral, or McCaffrey as your QB; all offer unique traits back there. Run power off the OT or TE's outside shoulder, keep middle honest with trap game, sprint draw off iso-action, and counter trey option for Mills to keep D honest. Set up waggle play with backside delayed drag low and deeper dig route behind it. Get TE involved off play-action. Occasionally throw deep fade with a high trajectory against isolated corners to keep safeties off LOS. Throw quick slants to force CB to respect inside release. Throw quick hitch to keep CB from backing off the WR too much. Dictate to the D for a change of pace.

After having this formation shelved the past few weeks, will it re-appear Saturday?
IMHO, DONU would likely be VERY successful with it against Wiscy. Recall the success that Osborne and Nebraska had running FB and power against 3-4 or 5-2 teams back in the day.
My only concern is that, without a healthy Wandale, we may not have a capable tailback.
I’m guessing you haven’t seen Wisconsin’s defense. I’m also guessing you haven’t see our offensive line.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back