• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Post Spring, Pre Fall Camp News Thread

Tired of summer already (and it isn't even summer). Fall can't come soon enough. Living in Gopher country I'm sick of this coach they have with the Row Row Row Your Boat fight song who has only had one quarterback during his whole tenure in Minnesota. Aug 31st. And then the Colorado circus happens. Coach Sanders thinks he is going to win the Pac 12 with a bunch of Jackson State players. If Neb beats Colorado, that tells me nothing. If Neb loses...that will tell me everything. Two new coaches, one with NFL coaching experience, one with Jackson State coaching experience who will play his son no matter what. There will be pressure on Rhule that day.

So we have two speedy QBs with a 4.4 time. This should be good for QB runs, ala T. Martinez. (According to NFL.com, which compiles information from scouts, Martinez was clocked at 4.45 and 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash although Martinez told reporters he may have been clocked at 4.28)

"NU liked him as a signal caller. Yes, Satterfield said Haarberg’s “super power” is running the ball, but Rhule made sure in subsequent interviews to say Haarberg can spin it, too.

He’ll get a good chance to win the backup job next fall, though Purdy has much more collegiate experience.
Coach quote: “He’s a passer. He’s a passer who runs 4.4. He’s not a runner who throws. He’s a passer. I think he does some things with his legs extending plays, had dead to rights on the one he spun out. That’s really what we’re looking for from him.”

Haarberg is listed at 6'5" and 210 lbs. As a senior, Haarberg completed 55 percent of his passes for 1,857 yards and 19 touchdowns, according to the Kearney Hub. He added 556 rushing yards, scoring 10 touchdowns on the ground and averaging 6.0 yards per carry.

Jeff Sims is 6'4" 220 lbs. Sims played in seven games with six starts in 2021, passing for 1,468 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for 372 yards and four touchdowns. “Notably, Matt Rhule had his QBs live, so Sims was able to show off both his big arm and his elusive 4.4-speed. He escaped multiple would-be sacks in the scrimmage, and on a designed QB draw, ran through two defenders for a touchdown.”

Last edited:
So we have two speedy QBs with a 4.4 time. This should be good for QB runs, ala T. Martinez. (According to NFL.com, which compiles information from scouts, Martinez was clocked at 4.45 and 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash although Martinez told reporters he may have been clocked at 4.28)

"NU liked him as a signal caller. Yes, Satterfield said Haarberg’s “super power” is running the ball, but Rhule made sure in subsequent interviews to say Haarberg can spin it, too.

He’ll get a good chance to win the backup job next fall, though Purdy has much more collegiate experience.
Coach quote: “He’s a passer. He’s a passer who runs 4.4. He’s not a runner who throws. He’s a passer. I think he does some things with his legs extending plays, had dead to rights on the one he spun out. That’s really what we’re looking for from him.”

Haarberg is listed at 6'5" and 210 lbs. As a senior, Haarberg completed 55 percent of his passes for 1,857 yards and 19 touchdowns, according to the Kearney Hub. He added 556 rushing yards, scoring 10 touchdowns on the ground and averaging 6.0 yards per carry.

Jeff Sims is 6'4" 220 lbs. Sims played in seven games with six starts in 2021, passing for 1,468 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for 372 yards and four touchdowns. “Notably, Matt Rhule had his QBs live, so Sims was able to show off both his big arm and his elusive 4.4-speed. He escaped multiple would-be sacks in the scrimmage, and on a designed QB draw, ran through two defenders for a touchdown.”

Escaping the would be sacks is an important point. It takes some of the pressure off the line.

Mentally if you know that the occasional mistake does not always lead to disaster. Will allow you to play freer. Using more aggression. Overall improved play.

Conversely, playing to never make a mistake. You will play slower with less agression. You start to get into your own head.

Tired of summer already (and it isn't even summer). Fall can't come soon enough. Living in Gopher country I'm sick of this coach they have with the Row Row Row Your Boat fight song who has only had one quarterback during his whole tenure in Minnesota. Aug 31st. And then the Colorado circus happens. Coach Sanders thinks he is going to win the Pac 12 with a bunch of Jackson State players. If Neb beats Colorado, that tells me nothing. If Neb loses...that will tell me everything. Two new coaches, one with NFL coaching experience, one with Jackson State coaching experience who will play his son no matter what. There will be pressure on Rhule that day.

Hope there is pressure on MR every day

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back