• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Post Solich Husker 1st Team

Ross may not beat the 3 headed monster of AA, RB, and RHJR, but he was a really good all around back.

Ross is the only player in Nebraska school history to rank in the top 10 in both rushing yards and receptions.

Is that last sentence true? If so, I had no idea Ross was anywhere close to top 10 in receptions and out of all the backs we've had here, even rushing would surprise me, although he was definitely very good. That is super impressive. I always associate Marlon Lucky with being our best receiving RB in history.

Is that last sentence true? If so, I had no idea Ross was anywhere close to top 10 in receptions and out of all the backs we've had here, even rushing would surprise me, although he was definitely very good. That is super impressive. I always associate Marlon Lucky with being our best receiving RB in history.
Lucky had the best single season at 75 catches.

Brandon Jackson kind of stepped into a lot of Lucky's carries as he proved himself to be a tough runner if memory serves. Always liked Jackson's fight.

Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong at QB1?

Neither.

Zac Taylor
Zac Taylor throwing to guys like Bell, Westerkamp, Enunwa, Morgan, would have been fun to see. Armstrong was a blend of throwing and running QB. He was due for three or four bad throws a game, but was otherwise a much better passer than Martinez. If we are going to run zone read or the option, give me Martinez, otherwise I'll take either of the other two.

It was ugly. He wasn’t a natural football player the way Tommy Armstrong was but man could he fly. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Watching him once he got into space was a thing of beauty. If the all-Nebraska team was going against that 2010 Kansas State defense, I'll take Martinez.

Aside from Suh, Ameer, and David the CB combo of Prince and Dennard are the biggest locks for this list imo.

In 2010 when nobody wanted to throw at Prince, Dennard was one of the most underrated players in the country

This is the all post-Solich team based on NFL draft. I don’t care if someone only played one year for Callahan. Fun Fact, Daniel and Josh Bullocks were both taken 40th overall in the draft.

I am going 4 deep but this does not reflect everyone who was drafted. Anywhere it says N/A, there was no one left. I tried to find all the free agent signings and plug them in but it was too much work.

For the record, Tanner Lee would not be on my list but he’s our only qb drafted. I’d have Armstrong and Martinez but I get the Ganz and Zac Taylor arguments.

Otherwise, these are the guys the NFL thought highly of. Oh and in case its not clear they are slotted based on draft position.

Adding to this post, I'm deep down the rabbit hole...

30 defensive players drafted, Highest player drafted #2 (Suh), Average overall draft selection #119.8 (mid to late 4th round)

23 offensive players drafted, Highest player drafted #51 (Jurgens), Average overall draft selection #159.8 (late 5th round)

Position1st Team2nd Team3rd Team4th Team
QBTanner LeeN/AN/AN/A
RBAmeer AbdullahBrandon JacksonRoy HeluCody Glenn
FBAndy JanovichN/AN/AN/A
TEN/AN/AN/AN/A
WRNiles PaulKenny BellTrey PlamerQuincy Enunwa
OTAlex LewisBrenden JaimesCarl NicksLydon Murtha
OGSpencer LongMatt SlausonKieth WilliansMatt Farniok
CCam JurgensRichie IncognitoN/AN/A
DTNdamukong SuhMalik CollinsVincent ValentineJared Crick
DEAdam CarrikerRandy GregoryJay MooreOchaun Mathis
LBBarrett RuudLavonte DavidStewart BradleyPhillip Dillard
CBPrince AmukamaraFabian WashingtonCam-Taylor BrittStanley Jean Bapiste
SJosh BullocksDaniel BullocksZachary BowmanDejon Gomes
PSam KochN/AN/AN/A
KAlex HenryN/AN/AN/A
Wasn't Cody Glenn drafted as a linebacker?

Aside from Suh, Ameer, and David the CB combo of Prince and Dennard are the biggest locks for this list imo.

In 2010 when nobody wanted to throw at Prince, Dennard was one of the most underrated players in the country
What about Stanley Jean-Baptiste? Had a really good Senior year at corner.

So I'm saying best post Solich career. So a guy like Sam Koch played 2 years for Cally, and 2 for Solich. I'm still making him my punter cause he was the best. But I'm not picking Fabian Washington or Barrett Rudd. They might well deserve it, but they only played one season for Cally, and I more associate them with Solich.

Also, I'm doing a 4-3 because that's what's easiest for me to wrap my head around.

QB - Taylor (which one? you decide!)
RB - Abdullah
RB - Helu
FB - Janovich
TE - Carter
WR - Morgan
WR - Paul
Slot - Spielman
OT - Nicks
OG - Slauson
C - Jurgens
OG - Long
OT - Jaimes

DT - Suh
DT - Crick
DE - Carricker
DE - Gregory
LB - David
LB - Bradley
LB - Gerry
CB - Prince
CB - Taylor-Brit
S - Gomez
S - Asante

P - Koch
K - Henery
PR - Peirson El
KR - Abdullah
Good list. Two observations
1. we are missing OG who played for New Orleans and was all pro but retired due to toe issue
2. A damn player from SF years. Says a lot too

Good list. Two observations
1. we are missing OG who played for New Orleans and was all pro but retired due to toe issue
2. A damn player from SF years. Says a lot too
There are only a couple guys I think would even be in the conversation from the Frost era: Trey Palmer, JoJo Domann, Austin Allen.

Wasn't Cody Glenn drafted as a linebacker?
I couldn't remember if he started as a linebacker and moved to running back or vice versa. Wikipedia had him listed as a running back. If he's moved to linebacker then Rex would take that spot. Glenn was drafted higher than Burkhead.

I couldn't remember if he started as a linebacker and moved to running back or vice versa. Wikipedia had him listed as a running back. If he's moved to linebacker then Rex would take that spot. Glenn was drafted higher than Burkhead.
Yeah he started as a RB, then Pelini moved him to LB.

You wouldn't consider Jurgens?
*Shrug*

I know Jurgens was an incredible athlete, but I don't feel like he played that well in college. He had some disastrous stretches where he took us out of games with bad snaps. I know he eventually got the hang of it and ended up on an All-Conference team, so maybe I hold the early stretch of his career against him too much. You know what they say about the offensive line, you only notice them when the screw up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back