• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Possible Rule Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerCoug

Recruit
5 Year Member
Loss of Helmet During Play
“If a player loses his helmet (other than as the result of a foul by the opponent, like a facemask), it will be treated like an injury. The player must leave the game and is not allowed to participate for the next play. Current injury timeout rules guard against using this rule to gain an advantage from stopping the clock. Additionally, if a player loses his helmet, he must not continue to participate in play to protect him from injury. Data collected during the 2011 season indicated that helmets came off of players more than two times per game.â€￾

This is an excellent rule. With all the issues of potential concussions, I see too many players not wearing properly fitting helmets that come off way too easy. This will help tremendously in that.

Loss of Helmet During Play
“If a player loses his helmet (other than as the result of a foul by the opponent, like a facemask), it will be treated like an injury. The player must leave the game and is not allowed to participate for the next play. Current injury timeout rules guard against using this rule to gain an advantage from stopping the clock. Additionally, if a player loses his helmet, he must not continue to participate in play to protect him from injury. Data collected during the 2011 season indicated that helmets came off of players more than two times per game.”

This is an excellent rule. With all the issues of potential concussions, I see too many players not wearing properly fitting helmets that come off way too easy. This will help tremendously in that.

Source, please?

---EDIT---
Nevermind, I got your back.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-02-09/committee-proposes-new-rules

Last edited:
While I think guys should definitely be strapping their hats on tighter, I don't think it should be treated as an injury, and I don't think they should be prohibited from continuing to participate in the play.

they definitely were popping off more frequently over the last couple seasons. Heck I think I saw what 5 times during the SUPER BOWL?! that's absurd. they don't even hit that hard anymore.

While I think guys should definitely be strapping their hats on tighter, I don't think it should be treated as an injury, and I don't think they should be prohibited from continuing to participate in the play.

I almost think the NCAA is enforcing that to get them to strap 'em on tighter. Seems like the helmets are coming off much more frequently the past season or two -- and I wonder if it's due to the players' carelessness or other.

maybe it's the increase in the players' use of dreadlocks? making it harder for the helmet to stay on? :Biggrin:

I almost think the NCAA is enforcing that to get them to strap 'em on tighter. Seems like the helmets are coming off much more frequently the past season or two -- and I wonder if it's due to the players' carelessness or other.

Yep, that's what I think. There really should be very instances of a helment falling off a player's head. Especially at the FBS level, where I'm guessing the helmets are designed to fit that particular player specifically.

All it takes is one "head-hunting" player to go head first into the head of a player who lost his helmet. It's almost unbelievable that hasn't happened yet, or at least to the point where a player has suffered significant head trauma due to losing his helmet in the middle of a play. Heck, guys get serious concussions when another player's knee strikes them in the head, with their helmet still on. Who knows how badly injured a guy could get when losing his helmet. It's not worth risk, IMO.

They are also proposing moving the kickoff line up to the 35 and the touchback line up to the 25 in order to get more touchbacks. I'm not on board with that one.

Last edited:
They are also proposing moving the kickoff line up to the 35 and the touchback line up to the 25 in order to get more touchbacks. I'm not on board with that one.

I agree. I don't like this one. The thought is more kickers will kick into the endzone and more guys will kneel down since it comes to the 25. My guess is most kickers are good enough to kick it inside the five and it will actually increase returns not decrease them. I don't mind this as a fan but I don't think that was the intent of the rule. It would seem that we are headed to the day when kickoffs will be eliminated and I don't like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back