• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pork belly!

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
I've never made a pork belly before, but I came across them at Costco today and thought, "why not?"

So I'm going to smoke it tomorrow. I'm going to use apple wood and run the smoker at around 225 degrees.

I'm a little bit worried about a rub. Most of the rubs I use can be pretty powerful, which works on a big piece of meat like brisket or pork butt. But I am thinking the belly has a lot of flavor on it's own, so I am guessing I want something more subtle.

Any thoughts?

This can be moved to Max's Kitchen eventually, but I'd like to leave it here for a little more visibility for a little bit if that's cool.

When its done, bring it to Highlands Ranch and I will critique it for you personally...no charge.:thumbsup:

You really think I can sit in a car with smoked pork belly for the better part of an hour and have any left by the time I got there? :)

You really think I can sit in a car with smoked pork belly for the better part of an hour and have any left by the time I got there? :)
This lack of professionalism is very disappointing. Throw some ribs in as well and I will still help you out here. I am just too nice of a guy.:cool:

I've never had pork belly and wouldn't know what to expect. I wanna hear how it comes out for you.

So 2 hrs is out of the question, then?
NoCo doesn't get any love. Harumph. I even found some cupcakes we could have for dessert. Sorry, Debbie Duz Donuts closed several years ago.

Last edited:

Attempted murder of a police officer?

I've never made a pork belly before, but I came across them at Costco today and thought, "why not?"

So I'm going to smoke it tomorrow. I'm going to use apple wood and run the smoker at around 225 degrees.

I'm a little bit worried about a rub. Most of the rubs I use can be pretty powerful, which works on a big piece of meat like brisket or pork butt. But I am thinking the belly has a lot of flavor on it's own, so I am guessing I want something more subtle.

Any thoughts?

This can be moved to Max's Kitchen eventually, but I'd like to leave it here for a little more visibility for a little bit if that's cool.

Hey, thill. I usually use my same, brown sugar based pork rub that I use on ribs and butt and it always turns out well. Great thing about belly is that you can do a lot with it. I like it on a Cubano. Good luck and enjoy. Did you brine it?

Hey, thill. I usually use my same, brown sugar based pork rub that I use on ribs and butt and it always turns out well. Great thing about belly is that you can do a lot with it. I like it on a Cubano. Good luck and enjoy. Did you brine it?
No brine, just rub overnight. It's Getting there.
0723161613.jpg

Pork belly can dry out very fast...A good Brine will cure the pork and will add moisture...

Last edited:

Pork belly can dry out very fast...A good Brine will cure the pork and will add moisture...

Yeah, I read that afterwards. This was kind of an impulse buy. Making pulled pork for a retirement party, thought I'd throw one of these on as long as I was already cooking this weekend

Yeah, I read that afterwards. This was kind of an impulse buy. Making pulled pork for a retirement party, thought I'd throw one of these on as long as I was already cooking this weekend
fat side up and mop it a lot ...looks like your doing well by that picture.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back