• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pop Gun: Maverick

I actually watched both of them again last night, to compare and confirm some of the throwbacks and flashbacks. Like how "Penny Benjamin"s name was actually mentioned twice in the first movie (the Admiral's daughter to which he had a history of making "high speed passes").

When rooster and mav were in the dogfight near the end of the movie, and rooster desperately says, "come on mav, do some of your pilot shyt", I thought it was kind of cheesy. But then I saw that goose says the exact same thing in the first movie.

Also, I never before realized how often mav says, "talk to me goose" in the first movie BEFORE goose is killed. I had always thought it was a cheesy line and that he was literally trying to get Goose's spirit to give him some kind of sign, but it was really more of a habit/superstitious/reflexive behavior that brings him comfort/confidence during stressful moments (kind of like "turn and burn", which is said often in both movies) although maybe a sign too would be nice...

The first movie was pretty good, but I'm thinking the sequel might be better. The visuals and camera shots are much better, multiple storylines (mav, ice, rooster, penny), better dialogue, better acting, resuscitation of an F14, and of course a soundtrack with songs from 80s is always good...

I never realized the "Penny" quote. Wow, excellent.

When they are intercepted by the Russian next gen in the F-14, and the Russian pilot is giving them hand signals, I found it strange that Mav or Rooster didn't get what he was asking after Mav pointed to his radio headset with the thumbs down. "Nope, don't know what that means either".

The Russian was saying "fly/follow me........heading 330 degrees".

Last edited:
You all must be 30 yo or have aeronautical skills! You are thinking way too much. I enjoyed both movies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back