• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Poochie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big "D"zasker

Varsity
5 Year Member
It’s always easy to place the blame after a tough loss on the Head Coach and the QB, and Lord knows I’m guilty as anyone. That said, I’m still very surprised how few people have mentioned John Papuchis’ culpability in the fiasco that was the defensive effort on Saturday. From all accounts he’s a rising star in the business, but based on the defensive ends performance, and to a certain extent, the special teams performance the last couple of years I haven’t been blown away by his units. Is his recruiting prowess the basis for his rising star status?

<O:p</O:p
Crazy as it may sound, I have more of a problem with NU being a training ground for first time coordinators than I do first time head coaches. Opinions?

Last edited:

It’s always easy to place the blame after a tough loss on the Head Coach and the QB, and Lord knows I’m guilty as anyone. That said, I’m still very surprised how few people have mentioned John Papuchis’ culpability in the fiasco that was the defensive effort on Saturday. From all accounts he’s a rising star in the business, but based on the defensive ends performance, and to a certain extent, the special teams performance the last couple of years I haven’t been blown away by his units. Is his recruiting prowess the basis for his rising star status?
<o:p></o>
Crazy as it may sound, I have more of a problem with NU being a training ground for first time coordinators than I do first time head coaches. Opinions?

Agree 100%.

Papuchis needs help help, ASAP. Our offense has been mostly consistent and I feel like Tim Beck can manage to repair the damage there with minimal input from Bo. But our defense leaks like a sieve and it's not going to get better on its own.

In the offseason, hires like Coach Kaz, Terry Joseph and JP's promotion to DC were hailed as major steps for turning a corner with the defense. But so far, this looks like our worst defense since the Callahan years. Our line can't get any pressure and they let scrambling QBs slip through their fingers way too much. The LB corps is weak as well, with no ability to stop slant routes or tight ends who can catch. The secondary is marginally better, but they are still rough.

Daimion Stafford and Will Compton are about the only 2 defensive players I feel comfortable with. They haven't played to their full potential, but they're at least making some plays. I'm really bummed about Meredith and Steinkuhler - I expected a LOT more out of them.

Papuchis looked lost in the second half of the game. Defense didnt follow the basics like wrapping up when you go to tackle. And dont get me started on the O-Line and how lousy they are coached!

If anyone really believes Papuchis is in charge of this D or is even calling defensive plays, you are sadly mistaken........This is all Bo

If anyone really believes Papuchis is in charge of this D or is even calling defensive plays, you are sadly mistaken........This is all Bo

Also a very good point. I'm guessing the only thing Defensive Coordinator about him might be the paycheck...and maybe a little more input in meetings.

Agree 100%.

Papuchis needs help help, ASAP. Our offense has been mostly consistent and I feel like Tim Beck can manage to repair the damage there with minimal input from Bo. But our defense leaks like a sieve and it's not going to get better on its own.

In the offseason, hires like Coach Kaz, Terry Joseph and JP's promotion to DC were hailed as major steps for turning a corner with the defense. But so far, this looks like our worst defense since the Callahan years. Our line can't get any pressure and they let scrambling QBs slip through their fingers way too much. The LB corps is weak as well, with no ability to stop slant routes or tight ends who can catch. The secondary is marginally better, but they are still rough.

Daimion Stafford and Will Compton are about the only 2 defensive players I feel comfortable with. They haven't played to their full potential, but they're at least making some plays. I'm really bummed about Meredith and Steinkuhler - I expected a LOT more out of them.

The offense is definitely turning the corner with lots of explosive playmakers. If Beck can stay in the moment and stick with what's working I think they'll be alright.

After last season I really didn't have high expectations Meredith and Steinkuhler. Meredith appears to be running on a muddy field with mud inside his shoes, and Baker appears to be a guy who plays football because it's expected of him. I could be totally wrong but that's my impression.

The offense is definitely turning the corner with lots of explosive playmakers. If Beck can stay in the moment and stick with what's working I think they'll be alright.

After last season I really didn't have high expectations Meredith and Steinkuhler. Meredith appears to be running on a muddy field with mud inside his shoes, and Baker appears to be a guy who plays football because it's expected of him. I could be totally wrong but that's my impression.

Yeah, it's probably a case of misguided assumptions.

Husker Nation sort of expected "Baker & Cam" to be the next "Jared & Ndamukong." And they aren't.

I don't doubt that for a second, which makes wonder even more why Papuchis has the title of D-Coordinator?

Maybe Bo and/or any of the other defensive coaches need to get up in the box for at least part of the first half or 2nd half....if I'm not mistaken, isn't this Poochie's first year down on the field? I understand that it allows for better communication, but the view of the oppositions offense AND special teams is completely different! whatever they need to do it needs to get fixed fast, or we'll be 1-2 and screaming for them to hitchhike out of Lincoln.

Yeah, it's probably a case of misguided assumptions.

Husker Nation sort of expected "Baker & Cam" to be the next "Jared & Ndamukong." And they aren't.

i dont think they were expecting THAT.....but to get manhandled by 4 REDSHIRT FRESHMEN on the offensive line? Yeah. Definitely expected them to hike up their skirts and play more like upperclassmen than get pushed around all game like a JV squad.

Maybe Bo and/or any of the other defensive coaches need to get up in the box for at least part of the first half or 2nd half....if I'm not mistaken, isn't this Poochie's first year down on the field? I understand that it allows for better communication, but the view of the oppositions offense AND special teams is completely different! whatever they need to do it needs to get fixed fast, or we'll be 1-2 and screaming for them to hitchhike out of Lincoln.

That's an interesting take. It seems like every team and coach approaches the sky box vs. the sideline differently. Personally, I thought some of the best games Watson called was when he was on the sideline, but he preferred the box. Hopefully Bo and Poochie will come up with a solution that works.

i dont think they were expecting THAT.....but to get manhandled by 4 REDSHIRT FRESHMEN on the offensive line? Yeah. Definitely expected them to hike up their skirts and play more like upperclassmen than get pushed around all game like a JV squad.

Exactly.

And I wasn't meaning that they would be as dynamic as Suh + Crick, just that they would sort of take on that leadership mantle and be a force up front. Getting pushed around by a bunch of freshmeat on the line is absolutely stupid.

There's not much to figure out here, its painfully obvious we do NOT have a STARTING linebacker capable of covering a back or TE at this time. I do believe we have LBs who can do this but they are currently not playing.....only Bo knows why.........the only solution with this bunch is to zone it up.....which Bo wont do, or go back to the peso and play cover 1, again unlikely. Lets hope either Santos or Rose get the scheme down before we play Ohio St or it wont be pretty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back