• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Polynesian Bowl (Dylan Raiola, Preston Taumua & Carter Nelson) 1/19/24 On NFL Channel

You and I seem to be on the same page about most things - our D will be legit
With both big Men coming back and some serious reloading at MLB, yep.
Now add hopefully a healthy year O line with more seasoning, a much deeper rb room, wr room and TE room. Even HH will be improved, add in DR, cut down on turnovers, yep

Last edited:
Point to one. Who is claiming a natty or even B1G championship this year?
Thom, straw man much?

Please, tell me where I stated that folks were claiming we'd win a natty or B1G championship. Start there.

I'll sit and wait.

Forever.

Last edited:

I keep hearing to pull back the reins on DR. Whats this mean?
Are we to hope for a similar frosh year that AM gave us? AMs best year BTW.
We have no current comparisons other than AM, and especially one as applicable as in, same conference, not that long ago.

If its applied to win/loss, we should expect more. Love HH, and he was about as rookie as you could get. His exposure to different offenses was limited, and his skill set helped our run game tremendously. But he turned the ball over a lot without the huge production we saw from AM.

So my guess is, expect to see some turnovers, not as many as both AM or HH had, but still some.

Passing? You have to give it to DR here. Our wr room makes this work.

So definitely a nice upgrade no matter how you slice it.

8-9 wins

Thom, straw man much?

Please, tell me where I stated that folks were claiming we'd win a natty or B1G championship. Start there.

I'll sit and wait.

Forever.
All of this started with you saying ...
Yeah, I get a bit concerned with the lofty expectations a lot folks have right now and we haven't even hit spring practice. I would assume, much like what they did with AM, they will simplify what Dylan needs to do as he adjust to the speed and size of the college game. I'm truly not expecting him to come in and have a Trevor Lawrence type of season simply because he isn't surrounded with the talent at every position as Lawrence did. All we need is better accuracy and decision making. Even slightly better and we may have 1-2 more wins.
What is your difinition of "lofty expectations?" Again most are saying 6-8. That is a 1-3 game improvement. Are you saying 1-3 games improvement is "lofty"? If not what is lofty to you?

All of this started with you saying ...

What is your difinition of "lofty expectations?" Again most are saying 6-8. That is a 1-3 game improvement. Are you saying 1-3 games improvement is "lofty"? If not what is lofty to you?
It's not hard to understand if you go back and read my posts. Never once did I mention team record when referring to DR, hence the straw man you created.

I was speaking specifically about fan expectations in year 1 related to DRs anticipated performance.

I have no idea why such an innocuous, logical statement could ruffle so many panties.

Last edited:

It's not hard to understand if you go back and read my posts. Never once did I mention team record when referring to DR, hence the straw man you created.

I was speaking specifically about fan expectations in year 1 related to DRs anticipated performance.

I have no idea why such an innocuous, logical statement could ruffle so many panties.
Youbstill have yet to define the lofty expectations of the fans or supply any evidence of this loftiness.

What assures me about DR is his year at Buford. Looking at his tape, he's running, getting hit throwing perfect passes in the grasp etc.

Buford is known as a run team. So are we, mainly because we couldn't pass the ball, we ran it 65% of the time. Our pass pro looked better than Bufords.
I suspect our run pass ratio to change a lot. HH threw 15 times a game last year , more than our other two at 10 times a game.
I suspect DR to throw 25 times a game and still be effective with less turnovers.
Is this unrealistic? Hopes too high? AM threw it almost 32 times a game his frosh year. Imo, 25 a game with DR as our starter, hitting over 60% of his passes.

Last edited:
Youbstill have yet to define the lofty expectations of the fans or supply any evidence of this loftiness.
I've seen comments how DR automatically reduces turnovers. I've seen predictions of 8-10 wins with a true freshman QB. Neither is guaranteed by any means. DR is going to need a ton of help and that requires development on the offensive side of the ball, which was not our bright spot last year. We didn't get enough of it last year and that's a fact. DR, as a freshman, will be adjusting to the speed, size, and power of the college game. Windows will be tighter. He will make frustrating mistakes. How many? Who knows? Every kid adapts differently. Hence my very harmless statement of: Lets just pump the brakes here and allow the kid to play a game before he's anointed. All this and the fact that an 18 year old literally has the weight of an entire, hungry, frustrated fan base that wants to win NOW on his shoulders. That's what I was talking about Thom. Not really difficult or irrational to put up some guard rails in terms of expectations. And its certainly too soon to throw out win totals when we have no clue who will be on the team come August or who will be injured.

I've seen comments how DR automatically reduces turnovers. I've seen predictions of 8-10 wins with a true freshman QB. Neither is guaranteed by any means. DR is going to need a ton of help and that requires development on the offensive side of the ball, which was not our bright spot last year. We didn't get enough of it last year and that's a fact. DR, as a freshman, will be adjusting to the speed, size, and power of the college game. Windows will be tighter. He will make frustrating mistakes. How many? Who knows? Every kid adapts differently. Hence my very harmless statement of: Lets just pump the brakes here and allow the kid to play a game before he's anointed. All this and the fact that an 18 year old literally has the weight of an entire, hungry, frustrated fan base that wants to win NOW on his shoulders. That's what I was talking about Thom. Not really difficult or irrational to put up some guard rails in terms of expectations. And its certainly too soon to throw out win totals when we have no clue who will be on the team come August or who will be injured.
No problem with guard rails. I think almost by default turnovers will improve. We averaged 3 per game. Moving that down just 1 to 2 per game and we win 4 additional games at least last year.
Most of us are predicting 1 to 2 more.

BTW you accuse others of strawman yet you use the term. Annoint as if people are saying he will be the king. People are excited about his potential. No QB since the 90s has had this much potential. So excuse me and others for HOPING he lives up to his potential. Hopeois not an annointing. Much like David he must first slay the giant before being annointed. Right now he is just our champion with a sling shot and some stones.

I keep hearing to pull back the reins on DR. Whats this mean?
Are we to hope for a similar frosh year that AM gave us? AMs best year BTW.
We have no current comparisons other than AM, and especially one as applicable as in, same conference, not that long ago.

If its applied to win/loss, we should expect more. Love HH, and he was about as rookie as you could get. His exposure to different offenses was limited, and his skill set helped our run game tremendously. But he turned the ball over a lot without the huge production we saw from AM.

So my guess is, expect to see some turnovers, not as many as both AM or HH had, but still some.

Passing? You have to give it to DR here. Our wr room makes this work.

So definitely a nice upgrade no matter how you slice it.

8-9 wins

I agree.

I think AMs solid first year was due to his good health and a very effective run game by Ozigbo who had over 1,000 yard rushing AMs first year. No QB at Nebraska has enjoyed that since. That must be fixed this upcoming season.

Last edited:
I agree.

I think AMs solid first year was due to his good health and a very effective run game by Ozigbo who had over 1,000 yard rushing AMs first year. No QB at Nebraska has enjoyed that since. That must be fixed this upcoming season.
We will be reloaded. Depending on injuries, we should have a lot of fire power. If they come back healthy, if Emmett takes a step forwards and our transfer works out, we should be good.
The O line does look to have more depth plus whoevers stepping up as youngsters go.
We are full at wr, always a question mark with transfers but Kemp was the 'worst' of them recently, and I can't put that all on him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back