• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

POLL: Which is a more likely win in 2023 - Minnesota OR Purdue?

Against a team that lost its:

1) 6th year senior starting QB
2) NFL caliber RB (Ibharim)
3) An offensive line losing its RG, C and LG ... 2 5th year seniors and 1 6th year senior.
4) An offensive line that's losing 5 of its 10 players on the 2-deep
5) A defense losing 5 of its 11 starters including 3 out 4 of their secondary

I am going with Minnesota.
A first year coach against an established coach with a pretty good record is a tough draw for a first game. I may hate the car salesman but his teams are consistent.

A first year coach against an established coach with a pretty good record is a tough draw for a first game. I may hate the car salesman but his teams are consistent.
Don’t disagree…not even kool-aid drinking but there’s a lot of change with this years UM team. They’ve relied upon an experienced group.

Home against Purdue after they've gone through a coaching change and we've had some time to settle in is a better recipe for success, I think.

I think we can beat Minnesota on the road, but I'd be less confident about playing them.

Against a team that lost its:

1) 6th year senior starting QB
2) NFL caliber RB (Ibharim)
3) An offensive line losing its RG, C and LG ... 2 5th year seniors and 1 6th year senior.
4) An offensive line that's losing 5 of its 10 players on the 2-deep
5) A defense losing 5 of its 11 starters including 3 out 4 of their secondary

I am going with Minnesota.

I tend to think Fleck has gotten his program to the point where their valleys are going to be small. More like Wisconsin was for many years. Good teams lose good players -- and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be bad or even significantly worse.

He's already got his starting QB in place, as he started 5 games last season.

The Gophers are loaded at RB. Potts started several games two years ago when Ibharim was injured, and his numbers were great. Plus, they have a 4-star freshman RB.

The defensive backs were gone prior to the bowl game, so Fleck practiced with and started two freshman corners that apparently performed well according to Fleck (and that's the beauty of bowl games).

No doubt there's some holes to fill, but I doubt the Gophers are falling far. For a game one on the road, not easy. Fleck will have a system in place while we are still building. Purdue is much more in our situation.

To our advantage, however, Minnesota won't really know what to expect from Nebraska.

Last edited:
I tend to think Fleck has gotten his program to the point where their valleys are going to be small. More like Wisconsin was for many years. Good teams lose good players -- and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be bad or even significantly worse.

He's already got his starting QB in place, as he started 5 games last season.

The Gophers are loaded at RB. Potts started several games two years ago when Ibharim was injured, and his numbers were great. Plus, they have a 4-star freshman RB.

The defensive backs were gone prior to the bowl game, so Fleck practiced with and started two freshman corners that apparently performed well according to Fleck (and that's the beauty of bowl games).

No doubt there's some holes to fill, but I doubt the Gophers are falling far. For a game one on the road, not easy. Fleck will have a system in place while we are still building. Purdue is much more in our situation.

To our advantage, however, Minnesota won't really know what to expect from Nebraska.
Like Wisconsin in many ways Minnesota is an OLine centric offense and losing the talent and depth they had is going to be an issue.

I do think if we are going to play Minnesota and win … a game early in the season is preferable to later in the season. Playing them right out of the chute actually benefits NU in my opinion.

I also prefer that we spread out the slobber-knocker type games as those can wear on you physically.

Last edited:

Rhule is not a first year coach ... nevertheless I understand and partially agree with the point you're making .... I just feel Minnesota enters this game with a fair amount of uncertainty. This also being the first game for both teams weighs in NU's favor IMO.

Rhule is not a first year coach ... nevertheless I understand and partially agree with the point you're making .... I just feel Minnesota enters this game with a fair amount of uncertainty. This also being the first game for both teams weighs in NU's favor IMO.
He did not coach Nebraska last year. So it is his first year with us. He has a history of first uear building then greatly improving in years 2-3. It is disingenuous to say because he coached elsewhere he is not a first year coach.

If I had to bet on the more likely win, I would say Purdue because it will be deeper in the season for a first year HC.

We really need to beat them both, though.

He does get his team playing better each week but has often struggled early against lesser opponents.

Don’t disagree…not even kool-aid drinking but there’s a lot of change with this years UM team. They’ve relied upon an experienced group.

Yep some good recruits coming in and they have proved they are good/very good at developing them

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back